Sdhc Deals?

rabidpoobear said:
Anyone in the U.S. should wait until Black Friday. Flash mem is almost always discounted, as are external hard drives. And pandora's probably won't be to most people by then.

I was thinking the same thing.

musicalwoods said:
Nataku said:
musicalwoods said:
I plan on getting a 16GB card and a 500GB or 620GB 2.5" mobile hard drive. I'll offload what I want on the card while still keeping all of my data with me. 32GB is just way too expensive right now.

I plan on doing something similar, but maybe go out anyways for one 32GB (for now), and have the portable external hard drive for home (most likely with TV-out) and/or on-the-go when needed. I think I'll get one of those Western Digital "My Passport" portable hard drives, probably 500GB.

Yeah, I was planning on WD as well. Just make sure you go for the old styled design (two heavily beveled edges with two less beveled). The newer uniform ones apparently have a new non-standard USB plug and mount as two separate partitions, one being unformatable.

Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
N_2 said:
I have extreme iii sdhc 8g. The r/w speed is really good.

The question is
hether the speed of the sdhc will affect the loading of pandora?(I think the answer should be YES)

So, maybe high speed sd card is better?

And ...hey guys.......
what will you put in the 32GB ?(due to the high price..)
Tens of psx game? or Thousands of nes game?

Don't forget movies, photos, PDF documents I need to review for work etc... on top of all those ROMS and music files!

Pleng said:
wermy said:
but I think it may be worth it to pay the extra $10 or so for one 32GB card, rather than two 16GB cards.

were that the case then I'd agree, but the difference between 2x16Gb and 1*32Gb is far greater than $10 :(

Will somebody hurry up and bring out a 64Gb card so 32GB cards can drop to a reasonable price!!!!
I agree with you about releasing a 64GB card the sad thing is that more than likely they are able to make them but are just letting the 32's sell for now so that when they hit there peak on them they'll release the 64GB cards. <_<

play.com as the pny 16gb SDHC in again at £17.99 http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/10537723/PNY-16GB-Optima-High-Speed-SD-HC-Card-Endorsed-By-National-Geographic/Product.html

This is a page I've had bookmarked for ages. It scans newegg daily, and calculates gigabytes per dollar for 3.5 HDD, 2.5 HDD, and flash.

http://forre.st/storage#flash

I'm waiting till 32GB SDHC tops .5gb/$1 before buying.

I'm seeing lots of decently priced 16GB cards all over the place but no realistic speed comparisons. Does anyone know which are actually any good? I don't want to go buying a lemon.

Unless you are consistently transferring large amounts of data *onto* your cards, speed really isn't an issue.

Applications will load within seconds - doesn't really matter if that's 3 or 5 seconds. Same with ROMS.
Even the slowest SD cards will be fast enough to play any video format the Pandora is capable of playing.

Pleng said:
Unless you are consistently transferring large amounts of data *onto* your cards, speed really isn't an issue.

Applications will load within seconds - doesn't really matter if that's 3 or 5 seconds. Same with ROMS.
Even the slowest SD cards will be fast enough to play any video format the Pandora is capable of playing.

It matters to me. Why wait 5 seconds when I could wait 3 instead? That time all stacks up as well. It's also the case of value for money.

Pleng said:
Wow that's a new level of impatience!

Not really, when you're buying anything; new hard-drives, graphics cards, etc, people generally check to see which one works out the best in your price bracket first rather than just buying any old one that claims to be as fast as X.

That's not how I work, personally.

When I went for a new hard disk, I got the cheapest one I could find in the size I needed. I couldn't care less if apps load in 5 or 10 seconds - I spend more time using apps than loading them.

I don't look for price or even speed first. First I look for quality, because without quality any other parameters are useless.

So, in order of appearance:
1: Quality OK? (i.e. will it fail or me or not.)
2: Performance OK? (flash: Speed ok? Disk: Noise level low enough? Speed OK?)
3: All things equal: Price?

i just bought a cheap class 4 see how it goes, got it off ebay, bidded for it got a 32gb one for 18 quid

stephen0205 said:
i just bought a cheap class 4 see how it goes, got it off ebay, bidded for it got a 32gb one for 18 quid

Unless you bought it from a well known UK based seller then you most likely just got scammed. In fact you almost certainly just did.

stephen0205 said:
at that price, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't fake, I'm sorry to say. But you may have gotten lucky, it's not unheard of.

i dont see how i would have got scammed, he sells the same ones for 40 quid buy it now, and at bidding i got it cheaper so, im my eyes i got a bargin, that and it will still play my videos, sound, and games on the pandora

I got a Class 6 16GB Transcend from Amazon a while back, and I get around just over 7MB per second write speed, not too shabby!. Got it for a good price, much much cheaper then retail stores sell them for. Works perfectly fine too. I recommend them.

stephen0205 said:
i dont see how i would have got scammed, he sells the same ones for 40 quid buy it now, and at bidding i got it cheaper so, im my eyes i got a bargin, that and it will still play my videos, sound, and games on the pandora

Yup, about 4Gigs worth of em...

stephen0205 said:

Seems reputable.

Beware Chinese sellers with unrealistic pricing. The SD controllers can be programmed to incorrectly report the amount of space. I've seen 8GB cards that fail to write files after 1GB, because the space just isn't there.

MDave said:
I got a Class 6 16GB Transcend from Amazon a while back, and I get around just over 7MB per second write speed, not too shabby!. Got it for a good price, much much cheaper then retail stores sell them for. Works perfectly fine too. I recommend them.

I've bought three A-Data 16GB cards in the past year. Only kept one - the other two were for other people. All three benchmarked at over 10MB/sec write, and 12MB/sec read, in addition to being the cheapest retail 16GB card I could find. (under $30 each, shipped)

stephen0205 said:
It sounds like that card is far too cheap even at the Buy It Now price, unfortunately. Even Play.com's own-brand rock-bottom-priced 32GB card is £65, with well-known brand names costing more - such as this SanDisk card for £73.

In all probability, you're more likely to receive a hacked low-grade 4GB card than you are to get a low-grade 32GB one (and it doesn't matter what country your seller is from - this stuff is all over the place now, and has been for a long time). The profit margins on flash-memory are so slim that one would be committing business suicide to sell such items at a loss.

Please go to SOSFakeFlash and type your seller's name into the search box. If they aren't present in SOSFakeFlash's listings, please be sure to test the card using H2testw when it arrives - viewing the card's "properties" in whatever operating system you happen to use won't tell you the true size if it is fake, you see.

If it is fake - and I'm going to echo what others have said and warn you now that it almost certainly will be - then please follow the instructions written here to ensure that the evidence is preserved.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Back