SDR on pandora ?

Give your feedback if you test it.

First, we could prepare a list about software and hardware to have.

Maybe someone will test it afterwards.

If its for the price you can get one for the same price on ebay. Maybe you wait some days until I can try my ordered stick. Its marked there as RTL2832 / R820T.

Nice, what did you test it receiving?  Judging by that test command line, that looks like an FM frequency to me - is that what you're receiving?  In the OP you talked about MPEG2 DVB-T, and I've wondered about receiving DAB using these things.

I was reciving fm, yes. DVB-T is the receiver stick which can be used for frequencies from about 25 MHz to 2000 MHz where different Signals are sent ( AM, FM, DAB, DVB-T etc.). The decoding must be done with the software because you get the raw data and so for more sophisticated signals like digital audio/video you need a fast machine (they say for DAB you need dualcore at about 2GHz).

Or you use the internal stick -hardware to decode the signal but then you need a driver/firmware for the stick. I have another stick (no RTL2832 chip) with firmware so I can watch DVB-T with mplayer.

I guess it is possible, but this stick is a no name stick (just reads DVB-T, DAB + FM and has RTL2832 chipset) and I have no firmware for it. Maybe someone knows where to get one then I/you can try. The packed soft is only for Win and has just a driver and some dlls + TV soft for Win. Even DAB and FM is not possible out of the box. I am searching for software to get radio working too. If you know a good program help is welcomed.

Edit : found in a Raspi forum that the kernel must support the tuner

" ... That's quite a good find. Unfortunately, for those of us with R820T Rafael tuners, it still won't work, as the tuner is not supported by the 3.6.11 kernel at the moment. "

My Slackware shows 3.2.61 so I guess my stick will not work even with firmware.

Last edited by a moderator:
here are some news  :

after updating my Slackware to 14.1.9 (I guess ; uname shows 3.2.64) the SDR first is not working.

After some research I found the new kernel supports the stick as DVB-T with a module so DVB-T is working. For SDR you have to unload the module first with modprobe -r. After reloading the module DVB-T is working again - very nice. Now I can do SDR and DVB-T with  the same stick. :)

I tested with SZ 1.60 (not latest because MeTV no longer working) and had no success. Got error when trying to install software following the description " make not found". Also DVB-T not working. Maybe someone can try with last SZ version.

Or switch to Slackware and be happy.

Back