Second Thoughts

Paradox

oh em gee
Website
Visit site
Well, im going to buy my gp2x tonight, but i think im having second thoughts..i dont know..i think the initial enthusiasmhas worn off, and im not too bothered about it...

tell me why i should still want one, and remind me why it rocks so much...

also, i was hoping it might be possible to emulate gameboy advance games?
and are any in the making?

that would really make me want it :)

emulaters - thousands of games on the go

so far we got snes, nes, NEOGEO

- metal slug
- loads of mario games
- super metroid
- super TETRIS :p
- Smash TV
- kirby
- robocod
- vikings
- so many RPGs, think chrono trigger, final fantasy ect.

cant write anymore, fingers shaking :p

Soon, amiga emu.

keep in mind how short this things been out

I bet gba will be around soon.

Look how many new coders are being attracted to the gp2x.

Homebrew games

Quake

Soon, hexen, heretic doom

Movies on the go

Built in Mp3 player

And Ebook reader

its like some kinda multimedia system..... oo it is!

You should think about geting a GBA or NDS and a supercard, it can run nes, gameboy,gba,gg,smc and NDS games off a compact flash card... it can't do snes, but the rest run great straight out the box. Because GBA and NDS aren't emulated, they run at 100% speed with no probs, and saves work to the card, it's pretty cheap and works well.

I've got a GP2x on order, but I'm starting to have my doubts, what with all the reported joystick problems (among others).

Yep another one here who is having doubts (mine is on order and should have it soon).....mainly due to the joystick also. Going to hold back selling my PSP for bit and see how it goes.

I like the joystick better than the GP32's. Read the threads about the mods .. it's very customizable :)

Also to the doubters, keep in mind that this system isn't a 'plug-&-play' device; for that kind of functionality a GBA or PSP is more suited.

well the first reply convinced me to order, just ordered from GBAX with a gig sd card.

24 hour delivery, meaning i should have it tommorow?

not that im allowed to even touch the thing until christmas

24-hour delivery is how long it'll take from despatch.

Seeing as you ordered now, you'll get it mid-December.

If I was you, I'd wait a month or so and see if/how the joystick and firmware issues are resolved and then order it.
By that time, more usable emulators and games should be around, too.

Dryer Lint posted on Dec 2 2005 at 08:32 PM said:
If I was you, I'd wait a month or so and see if/how the joystick and firmware issues are resolved and then order it.
By that time, more usable emulators and games should be around, too.

Yep I would agree with that. I sent mine back due to loads of faults and Im just going to order again once the firmware/joystick issues are addressed (hopefully soon).

However when I did have the GP2X it was brill and was glad I sold my DS for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Paradox posted on Dec 2 2005 at 11:26 AM said:
Well, im going to buy my gp2x tonight, but i think im having second thoughts..i dont know..i think the initial enthusiasmhas worn off, and im not too bothered about it...

tell me why i should still want one, and remind me why it rocks so much...

also, i was hoping it might be possible to emulate gameboy advance games?
and are any in the making?

that would really make me want it :)

emulation.

the ability to run all of your media.

homebrew stuff.

you seem to have NO idea why you'd want a gp2x, so you shouldn't get one. you'll only windup becoming yet another whinging moaner complaining on these boards when you realize what this device truely is.

imo the gp2x is NOT a handheld designed for massmarket plugin-and-play-gamer-lamer consumers such as yourself. It is a *homebrew* device first and foremost, along similar lines and philosophy as Andre LaMothe's X-GameStation (but rather more slinky and a little more accessible to the average Joe) This basically means it's a handheld device that has been uniquely designed for the pleasure of nerdy/technically minded coders to play about with. It's made for people who understand hardware a little and who are not PHASED by what are basically small fixable s/w related problems. 90% or the problems you have seen people like yourself moaning about on these boards since the release of the gp2x are not REAL issues in the minds of genuine homebrewers. We know that with a little effort the gp2x's HOMEBREW coders and community will be able to fix just about all of them. It's only the impatient gamer-lamers such as yourself that run around with your arms in the air crying because coders at GamePark have set the brighteness and contrast levels too high in the firmware screen intialization code. This kind of "problem" is a non-issue to homebrews because we understand it can be fixed in time.

Basically, people like you should not be dabbling in quirky homebrew-based devices. As a previous poster suggested, i think you'd be far better off grabbing yourself a Nintendo NDS and Supercard. That way you can download yourself Yoshi and Wario Mario Adventures in Lala-land. Everyone will be happy and *WE* won't have to hear you bitching because you naively expected to be able to play XBox CD images on you gp2x.

...If GP2X is primarily a homebrew console, that was designed specifically for that purpose... why is it touted by GPH as a multimedia and gaming device? Yes, they definitely do promote the openness, and the ability to "easily" develop your own software (by which I mean you don't have mod hardware or otherwise work around the hardware to get your own code to run on it)- including games- but I can't really see them making that their main selling point. Sure, It seems they have listened to- and more importantly acted on the advice of- the community built up around gp32, but they aren't making it solely for homebrewers, they are trying to sell to a wider audience.

Homebrew and media. That is what the GP2X is CURRENTLY for. And the media support is a bit shaky at that. Eventually, there will be commercial games and such, but until then this will be primarily a hombrew handheld.

if i were you, i would've waited until the second edition was out... gph is promising to iron out all of the first edition wrinkles by that release... and while it's taking them some time, and possibly won't be out by 'Q1 2006', it probably will be a bit better as far as these minor problems goes, so that way you don't have to wait for independent devs to find ways to patch the unit up themselves. i ordered from lik-sang, who didn't get first edition units. and while i was a bit disappointed that i didn't get mine when they said i would, i'm still a bit happy that i'll get a second edition gp2x...

does that make sense?

Ferentix posted on Dec 2 2005 at 08:52 PM said:
...If GP2X is primarily a homebrew console, that was designed specifically for that purpose... why is it touted by GPH as a multimedia and gaming device? Yes, they definitely do promote the openness, and the ability to "easily" develop your own software (by which I mean you don't have mod hardware or otherwise work around the hardware to get your own code to run on it)- including games- but I can't really see them making that their main selling point. Sure, It seems they have listened to- and more importantly acted on the advice of- the community built up around gp32, but they aren't making it solely for homebrewers, they are trying to sell to a wider audience.

You only have to take a quick glance at the GP2X's h/w spec-sheet and use your own capacity of logical thinking to realize that its NOT any sort of practical multimedia/PMP device. 320x240 screen resolution and (current) maximum storage of 2GB using VERY expensive SD media is NOT suited to watching all your movies and storing all your MP3s. The reason GP are not promoting the "homebrew" side of GP2X is because they simply do not have to. The homebrew community is very tight-knit and word of any new hackable device spreads very quickly. GP will also be aware of the fact that you do not "promote" devices to the homebrew community as homebrewers (basically coders) are not easily impressed by undefined buzz-words such as "multimedia" and "Portable Media Player". If you want a homebrew coder to buy your device you simply show him your hardware spec-sheet, let him know that an SDK is available and he'll decide based on the hard _facts_ whether he wants to buy it. If you want a gamerlamer-mediafiend to buy your device you just tell him it's a PMP.

I've been waiting for the release of the gp2x for about 3 months now and I'm extremly happy with it. I think that's because I dismissed all GP's promotional PMP BS, read the specs and KNEW exactly what I was getting: a rather nifty open-dev game device with the added bonus of being able (but not IDEALLY suited) to playing mp3s and the odd movie.

Back