Sega Saturn Emulator?

devour

Still Fresh
Since we have PSX, I figure that the Wiz should be able to run a Saturn Emulator. I know I loved the Saturn, and It is one of the few consoles that hasn't been made for the wiz. Yabuse is a great Open Source emulator, and I sure hope this can be done! http://yabause.org/

WAAAAAAAAAAY different than PSX as far as emulation goes (a few simple cores vs. a tonne of complex cores), but we'll see if someone takes on the tasks of trying to pull it off...

devour said:
Since we have PSX, I figure that the Wiz should be able to run a Saturn Emulator. I know I loved the Saturn, and It is one of the few consoles that hasn't been made for the wiz. Yabuse is a great Open Source emulator, and I sure hope this can be done! http://yabause.org/

You have a better chance of getting an NDS emulator than a working Saturn emulator.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
devour said:

You have a better chance of getting an NDS emulator than a working Saturn emulator.

Chris
Or more chance of getting a Dreamcast emu with a higher framerate than a Saturn one.

Well, thanks. I didn't realize that the architecture was so complicated. Maybe the Jaguar and 32x Emulators will pull through though...

devour said:
Well, thanks. I didn't realize that the architecture was so complicated. Maybe the Jaguar and 32x Emulators will pull through though...
Just as unlikely. The Jaguar is a pretty complicated architecture, probably as bad as the Saturn and the 32x isn't much better. As I understand it, one of the major problems with all these systems is the number of chips in them. The Jaguar has like 5 chips. The 32x is 2 separate computers, the Genesis has a 68k a z80 and the 32x adds 3 risc chips that all work in parallel that collectively have to work in sync with the genesis. The PSX is more powerful, but with a simpler architecture and we can't even get the psx to full speed.

Chris

ZXC3CD said:
If not full speed, will the PSX have playable speed?

Probably not. It's possible that the wiz could do it, but a new emulator would have to be made from scratch and that is unlikely. To give a good example, a company named connectex created a piece of software called virtual game station for the first generation G3 machines that worked very, very well. A 233 mhz g3 iMac can play most of the psx library using that software, but couldn't run any of the open source versions with any kind of playable speed. My point is that I think the wiz could do it, but not with any of the emulators available today.

Chris

EDIT: sorry, this is not a dis of the developers. It's not that I think they can't do it, it's that it simply takes too much time and resources to write an emulator from scratch. There is a great deal of talent in this community, but we have to be realistic about how much they can dedicate to free software projects.

Back