Sent From My Pandora

VRAndy said:
Yea, I'm also going to get a tattoo that says "DRINK COKE".

Actually, you should get a tattoo that says "DRINK BRAWNDO". It has electrolytes. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
And you don't want to drink water, because it comes from toilets.

On-topic, though, I can't really think of an occasion where I'd feel a need to use an e-mail signature like that, myself, but to each their own. :p

I for one think email as a communication medium should just go off and die somewhere. SMTP is one of the worst things to ever happen to the Internet.

Seeing how SMTP predates the modern Internet(ie. graphical web browser) by over a decade. I'm curious why so as well.

From the point of view of an ISP technician... Email is Satan.

Spam alone is a huge reason to just dump email. The SMTP protocol is stupid, and doesn't do a damn thing to prevent the sender for spoofing headers to make emails appear to be valid. Headers and be modified to make an email appear to be to anyone, from anyone, and sent at any time. This is how spam works, and circumvents just about any anti-spam measure an ISP cares to put into place. There are multitudes of hacks and cludges to try to overcome the spam problem in general, but nothing can stop 100% of it all the time. And what's worse is if you do a good job at it - stupid users complain when they don't get at least some spam because they think their email is broken! CPU and man hours get wasted dealing with the hundreds of thousands of spam emails that cross our systems every day. Not to mention the immense waste of bandwidth the whole thing is. The only thing that works is to force users to create whitelists for friends and family and toss everything else into a junk folder. Wastes space and frustrates users.

Email bourne viruses, phishing, nigerian princes... OUTLOOK EXPRESS!

I rarely use email for anything. If it weren't for registering on forums, and purchace receipts form websites - I probably wouldn't use it at all. It's not secure, anything that I say is in plain text out there for anyone to see, so I might as well post it on a forum, use IRC, us some IM client, Facebook, or some other widely available communication medium.

Email is antique - broken - and outlived it's usefulness. I wouldn't mind seeing it replaced by something similar, secure, and access restricted. But as it is now, it's garbage.

Quite. SMTP was excellent back in the day when sending email meant queuing up a bunch of messages, dialing out to a server, saying "here's a bunch of letters", and waiting for them to propagate to the intended recipients. We don't have to do that anymore. One domain can talk directly to another, and that's generally how it goes. There's no reason a new protocol that takes advantage of modern technology couldn't be created that eliminates all the problems mentioned.
I'm not going to pretend to know what such a protocol would look like though, just that I know such a thing could exist. Same way I know flying cars could exist if someone smart enough just figures out how to do it.

Per b_o_b

822999-ogre01_super.jpg

I absolutely hated the "Sent from an iPhone" sig that my iphone came with, and I would never use something like that on the Pandora. That just strikes me as extremely lame.

- trix

----------------
Sent from my PC, using Gentoo 64bit, Opera Browser.
Here are the stats of my PC and I have a facebook and MySpace because I want to be as important as possible on the internet.

Creature XL said:
Gruso said:
I'm going to do it in another forum I hang out on. But only because we laugh at people who do it. (And they laugh whenever I mention Pandora)

I wonder what SkeeziX has to say about this topic :)
Hehe, I think he has a practical reason for doing it when he's on his phone. The people I'm talking about do it for some kind of status.

It is lame, but i think ill do it anyway

-- posted ia chrome on Windows 7 x64 on my Core 2 Quad on a gigabyte motherboard, using a dlink router and teliasonera ISP

Telus uses a mail client that adds the signature "Sent via Telus Mobility Mail" or something along those lines - for all phones on their network. It's not always the devices fault :p

-- Sent from a Pandora

== This email has been scanned with MailGuard ==

"Please consider the environment before printing this email."

Add emoticons to your email with Incredimail!
2d797cj.jpg
Get Incredimail!

Attachments

• 2d797cj.jpg
    2d797cj.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 86
Gruso said:
-- Sent from a Pandora

== This email has been scanned with MailGuard ==

"Please consider the environment before printing this email."

Add emoticons to your email with Incredimail!
2d797cj.jpg
Get Incredimail!

Sweet! Except the Incredimail link isn't working. But that other stuff kinda clutters it up anyways. :)

Attachments

• 2d797cj.jpg
    2d797cj.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 95
It's useful for letting people know you are posting from a mobile device, so they understand why your email was so brief.

Just for fun:

Posted from Motorola Droid with Android 2.1 with kernel 2.6.29-omap1-gb5cd919-dirty-chevyno1@ubuntu #14

Yeah, I think it is extremely lame, Anyone who does this should be lined up and shot*.

*With a custard pie gun.

<Posted on 01/04/2012 from my Opera web browser>

Trooper

trooper said:
I`m curious too, And what would you use instead ?.

Trooper

*cough*facebook*cough*

But honestly doesn't it all boil down to L33tSigs and such enumeration of one's hardware for bragging rights? (although it is useful in support forums so people don't always have to ask "what are you running?")

Back