Sent From My Pandora

TrashyMG said:
Seeing how SMTP predates the modern Internet(ie. graphical web browser) by over a decade. I'm curious why so as well.
That's the problem. When email was invented everyone on the network knew each other. At least by reputation.

Authentication, security, etc were not even thought of at the time. It didn't even occur to them that someone would send out emails pretending to be the deposed prince of Nigeria in an effort to scam people, And if someone did do that they could have walked down the hall and beat the crap out of him.

There have been a lot of jerry-rigged additions to email, some in the official standard, some through end-user add-ons, but to a very real degree email is still based on the honor system.

The optimal solution for communication between a small group of professionals is not the optimal solution for a global, publicly accessible communication system.

Sadly, I don't see any realistic way of replacing it that doesn't involve crowning either Google or Microsoft as EMAIL GODS OF THE WORLD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justman said:
It's useful for letting people know you are posting from a mobile device, so they understand why your email was so brief.

Yeah, I realised that that is the reason why SkeeziX is doing it, and I hope it was clear that my post above was just a joke :)

I didn't know that Apple (and maybe others) configured their software with such a sig. I figure that most iPhon eusers aren't able to disable it :D

However, as much as I hate it, I will do it for some of my friends who are laughing at me for ordering the Pandora (they do that since 2 years now) :)

VRAndy said:
Sadly, I don't see any realistic way of replacing it that doesn't involve crowning either Google or Microsoft as EMAIL GODS OF THE WORLD.

Wave is a pretty cool protocol, and you're not required to use Google's servers for it.

rabidpoobear said:
VRAndy said:

Wave is a pretty cool protocol, and you're not required to use Google's servers for it.
I feel like Wave is trying too hard to be different.
They never really explained why seeing people type in real time was a good thing, or why versioning is necessary for regular conversations.
They also insisted on using waves with widgets in for settings and such, which just seemed like it was there to sell tech instead of actually being a good idea.

It seems like an interesting system for collaboration, but for regular email style communication it's just a lot of mess and overhead, the only use for which is editing what your friend said for lulz.

I have a Pre and left the email sig (default) on for a couple of reasons:

1. If I am in a hurry, it lets the person read through any spelling/grammar (caps) errors and forgive me at the end instead of writing me off as lazy.

2. It's not an iphone, and I wish more people would get turned on to the platform since I love mine.

If the Pandora had the small sig line set as a default, I wouldn't change it. I wouldn't bother to insert it either.

I have added in the "Sent from my iPhone" thing when I was telling a professor that I had to go to the hospital. It was sent from my computer but put it in there as that extra added "I am not home" hint.

Ah. Good to knowe. Thatb way if iwant to be sloppyt all i hvae to do is add a signatuere and my typoos arre forgiven.

--Do you Potty?

Back