Setting Clock Speed With .ovr Files

naples39

So I was making some .ovr files per the wiki to organize my emulators into minimenu folder categories and set specific clock speeds per program, but the clock speed settings don't seem to be working. For instance psx4pandora is generating non-overclock emulation speeds even though .ovr file says 800. Here is my script;

[Application-0]
title Psx4Pandora
maincategory Emulators
clockspeed 800

The script is 'working' in that it's putting the programs in the folders I want and it says clock speed 800 when I highlight the icon in minimenu, but the clock speed setting doesn't seem to take effect. Has anyone else been able to get this to work? Am I making a simply mistake? I am pretty sure psx4pandora and other programs I've tried should be App#0.

If I recall, older releases of PSX4Pandora has the clock hard coded to 600mhz, so even if you change the setting it will throttle back to 600. Try a newer version and see what happens.

Still need to try the newest psx4pandora from this morning, but the version I currently have goes much faster if I manually use the cpuspeed program first to raise the clock speed.

My .ovr file for snes9x also produced no speed boost, I was just using psx4pandora as an example.

EDIT: Hmmm, you may be right mindlord. I'll keep messing around.

mindlord said:
If I recall, older releases of PSX4Pandora has the clock hard coded to 600mhz, so even if you change the setting it will throttle back to 600. Try a newer version and see what happens.
It did that because Zod had specified 600 in the PXML file. No matter what you changed it to manually, pndlib would set it to 600mhz because that's what the PXML said. Even if he were using an older copy, the overwrite should be taking and making it run faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note that the ovr file specifies the overrides when the system reads the PXML from the pnd, but if the app itself specifies a clock speed, you're out of luck with anything you do in PXML or overrides thereof.

ie:

System speed is overridden by PXML, which is overridden by ovr if present, which is overridden by an app (if it does so.)

I consider it 'good form' for a PXML/pnd to not specify a clock-speed, so that system speed takes effect (so the user can set a system speed and trust it'll stay set, and set it as he sees fit for any given app.) Likewise, if an ovr specifies it, thats okay, thats user doing it. An app should not change it by default, but could offer a menu to set it (and ideally return to the system speed on exit, in that case.)

For snes9x4d4p, tghe original release has it setting clock to 600 or 500 I think; the current builds (which might not be up anywhere?) do not specify a clock, so your ovr should take.

The last build I did was this:
http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/snes9x4d4p/binaries/snes9x4d4p_20100601_3.pnd

Try that one,m shoudl be superior to any previous one in a lot of ways.

I really should update the file archive and app store, but time is such a rare thing right now :)

jeff

ovr files override PXML settings, thaqts their job; an ovr clockspeed should be 'god', unless the app executable or runscript itself specifies a clockspeed (which they can do.)

Minimenu will show a 'clockspeed' note in the right panel (ie: if its not there, then the PXML is not overiding clock, so your system setting applies.) An ovr will alter your clockspeed setting (see minimenu right panel), and you know the system is setting that on launch.. but the app coudl further tweak it :( -- unless theres a bug that an ovr only overrides if there is a clock setting in pxml or something, but I think I checked all that during testing :)

jeff

Back