Shiny, Glossy, Or Matte?

CandidStan

Does anyone know if the screen will be Shiny, Glossy, or Matte?

I'm curious because each one has its pros and cons indoors and outdoors.

I'm desperately hoping it'll be glossy, shiny, or aesthetically pleasing in some way, but from the looks of the dev units, it seems to be matte and slightly textured a la the Asus EEE. :(

CronoTriggerfan said:
I'm desperately hoping it'll be glossy, shiny, or aesthetically pleasing in some way, but from the looks of the dev units, it seems to be matte and slightly textured a la the Asus EEE. :(
I'm just curious, but why do you (desperately :p) hope it'll be glossy? Wouldn't a glossy finish be slippery and prone to getting covered with scratches and fingerprints?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just think glossy finishes are slicker, prettier, and feel nicer than matte textured plastic. After using the PSP, DS Lite, and iPod Touch especially, I've found that the whole smudge/scratch deal isn't a big factor for me. A quick breath and cloth wipe fixes smudges, and I'm fairly careful about scratches and the like. :p

Guys, he's asking about the *screen*. Not the case.

If the screen would be antiglare or "clearview" type.

I would prefer clearview... ...with a matte case.

-Suntan

CronoTriggerfan said:
I just think glossy finishes are slicker, prettier, and feel nicer than matte textured plastic.
The glossy screens reflect more light though and can be harder to read in bright sun light.
Not saying that I wouldn't want it to have one, just showing the other side of the coin :)

Glossy sucks (imo) when you're in bright light. Ever tried to watch a movie on a GP2X, under the bright fluoros of a train? Ack. I know that's got to do with more than just the screen finish, but having a mirror-like surface certainly doesn't help.

Check out the Archos gadget that shares the same screen as Pandora. Plenty of feedback and reviews getting around on that (and with regard to the screen, it's all positive).

Hmm.. hard choice without having some screens to compare.
Glossy would look nicer and more professional, but as stated would have trouble reflecting light and the pen would be more prone to slipping.
Matte would reflect less light, would offer less slipping of the stylus and a more tactile feel to it.
Think I would have to go with matte myself too.

I don't suppose it would really matter if you plan on buying a screen protector for it, you can get them in Matte or Gloss :)

I took a quick picture. It's not glossy since it doesn't have a plastic or glass cover over it.

DSC00592.jpg

hmm, really i like screens both ways, my older laptop had a matte screen, and my newer has a glossy, both are nice in different ways... i think the best option would be to make the screen glossy tho, since you can always put an anti-glare cover on, but i wouldnt think it would be possible to make a matte screen glossy with a cover...

The only thing I hate about all my devices so far is that they are incredibly reflective, so as soon as you go outside, they act like a mirror. The only one thats half usable is an iPod touch which I have for long term test.

Snu said:
i think the best option would be to make the screen glossy tho
I think the best options is we go with what the developers have decided - its too late to be changing stuff and we don't want to build in delays...

Cant you just add a glossy screen protector if you want a glossy finish on the screen?

MWeston said:
I took a quick picture. It's not glossy since it doesn't have a plastic or glass cover over it.
Looks good. At least much less reflective than a GP2X Screen. I couldn't see anything onto the GP2X if I go outside. Even with cloudy sky it's hard to see something, under sunlight it is impossible.

Back