Case Finish?

Mjlink

ithic.com
Website
www.ithic.com
In my effort to find an easy way of painting black cases, I was hit with this question that I specifically don't know the answer to.

So does anyone know if the cases are painted matte or molded matte?

Thanks,

Link

they are supposedly to be molded with some kind of finnishing, but not paint

but we cant be sure if chinese factory did or did not cheat until OPT gets the cases.

Yeah, mate! Agreed!!!

I want!!! B) :pandora2ut4:

user_12693_LDX58QYC.jpg

Painting the cases never was the deal or even mentioned by the Pandora Team, so they can't actualy paint the cases. I don't like surprises and if they painted a black case black, this would be a real surprise, at least for me. Of course it can be that I've missed some information in the past that the smooth silk like surface is only possible by painting.

Well, if it is durable, I have no problem with it. But I think iit would be much better, if this nice surface effect is 1:1 possible without painting. And if there is no other way then useing paint, I recommend not to paint D-Pad an action buttons. I don't want black fingers after one week of heavy usage. :lol:

fusion_power said:
Painting the cases never was the deal or even mentioned by the Pandora Team, so they can't actualy paint the cases.
Yes they can. They didn't say there weren't going to paint the case so it's not like you can claim "false advertising" if they do.
Hey, here's change for you, it contains 256MB of ram and 512MB internal NAND. It was only developed and originally ordered with 128MB of ram and 256MB of internal NAND. That's a pretty big change, are you going to complain? I'm going to assume you are not, because sometimes changes are good. If they decide to paint the case where previously they did not, it could turn out to be good, and no one will know otherwise until after it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:
Painting the cases never was the deal or even mentioned by the Pandora Team, so they can't actualy paint the cases.
Yes they can. They didn't say there weren't going to paint the case so it's not like you can claim "false advertising" if they do.

I also can't remember Nintendo telling me they will sell me a painted case with the Nintendo DS - and in fact, the old Nintendo DS IS painted.

Last edited:
WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:
Hey, here's change for you, it contains 256MB of ram and 512MB internal NAND. It was only developed and originally ordered with 128MB of ram and 256MB of internal NAND. That's a pretty big change, are you going to complain? I'm going to assume you are not, because sometimes changes are good. If they decide to paint the case where previously they did not, it could turn out to be good, and no one will know otherwise until after it's done.
Memory Expansion was announced. ;)

I also think the cases looking great. And I don't complain this fact. I'm waiting until I have my pandora and then I will use it every day hours and hours. :D
So I hope the Surface is as durable as it should be.

EvilDragon said:
I also can't remember Nintendo telling me they will sell me a painted case with the Nintendo DS - and in fact, the old Nintendo DS IS painted.
The old DS also really looks like it is (very cheap) painted. :lol: DSi was AFAIK only onto the outer shell glare-painted and the New DSi with Camera, which surface looks actualy 1:1 to the new one from the Pandora, is AFAIK not painted. It is just the material itself, that looks like that. But I'm not 100% sure of course. :)

Again: if its indestructable I'm fine with the paint. ;)

EvilDragon said:
WizardStan said:
fusion_power said:

So is the DSi ;) Or at least the blue one. It's actually bright orange underneath.

Edit: Now for someone to make a stupid joke from that, in 3... 2... 1...

EvilDragon said:

Much if the paint came off of my original DS around the same time that the hinge broke. Planned obsolescence? I think so.

EvilDragon said:
Most of the GBA SP colours also had a painted finish (possibly all? I haven't seen all of them). :D (I still love how the black ones look.)

A lot of the paint on my old DS has rubbed off, it looks pretty awful now. If we do in fact have our black pandoras painted black (why?), then I sure hope it's better paint than the DS's.

My light green japanese DSI isnt painted it's plastic is just that color. I know because I dropped it a day ago and there's no color change where it's slightly bruised.

That's not to say the finish isn't sprayed on in some fashion. I mean how would you even know until 2 or 3 years later when you wear a smooth spot into your case from use... I mean it's black after all. That said though the pics of the pink parts give me the sensation of just being sprayed with color while the black cases look to me like they've been polished to the texture they have.

So is the current answer on this question up in the air until we have the cases in the UK ready for assembly?

It's really no big deal to me, but I've gathered enough info to understand that painting a painted black matte case is going to be a different process than a moulded matte case minus any paint for those looking to do an alteration at some point. Painting plastics can be complicated and messy for Joe the Plumber w/ a Paint Can and a Pandora.

Personally, I don't understand which will be the case (haha) on the Pandora because all the samples had the disclaimer that the finish wasn't applied and would fill in/up/over the flaws we were all bitching about for the last 3 months.

Again, stoked about the finished product, no matte how its finished!

Peace & Surf,

Link

I'm a bit confused - the two sets of pictures were of painted Pandoras - one pink, one black. As far as I understand it, this is not how the finished product is going to look, but is in fact just an attempt by the Chinese case company to demonstrate to OP Inc what it would be like if they got the cases painted.

In other words, the black pandora case in that set of pictures is of a special version of the case, for evaluation only - and the standard factory cases that have been produced already do not have this paint applied as a finishing touch.

Is this correct? If so, I do not care about paint - my vote is that they just send the cases as soon as possible, without paint effects applied. It might look slightly better, but as a developer I don't care a damn any more .. I just want my Pandora so I can get on with software.

Back