Shipping Date: Guessing Game

hmm im going to go with the specific date of: my lifetime. I'm almost positive that, that will be the exact date it will come out. So be anticipating it at that time. Good luck ordering!

Receiving mine on my birthday (Jan 6) would be awesome but I don't think its going to happen. I would guess mid to late Feb to be safe.I for one would like as many major bugs to be worked out as possible.

For those of you who think this is a dumb exercise, it is, but what's going on here is a "wisdom of the commons" effect. If you take a country fair and ask people to guess the weight of a pig, the guesses will vary wildly, but the median will actually be pretty close to the pig's weight.

Seeing as how Pandora #0001 will be completed in a week, and likely we'll need a good month of testing at least (barring metaphorical meteor strikes), plus another 2 weeks for organizing shipping and packaging (guessing that they'll be sent out in a sizable first batch of 100+), I think the mid-January dates are probably a pretty good guess.

It's still sensible to order parts and assemble in smaller batches, perhaps 500 at the absolute maximum. I'm in the "post-3000" group of the pre-orders, so I'm not expecting to receive mine until late February. Actually with all the parts problems I might not see mine until March at this rate. :|

Trevor Bradley said:
If you take a country fair and ask people to guess the weight of a pig, the guesses will vary wildly, but the median will actually be pretty close to the pig's weight.
Except in this case we don't get to see the pig - there's just a few guys sitting on the other side of the wall yelling out constantly changing figures for it ;)

So yes, this is useless other than a game to pass the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
With more work / testing to be done on the Pandora and even if they get shipped out shortly before Christmas there will be the holidays to contend with. I will pick

January 10, 2009 for the date of the first received. That is probably as optimistic of a guess as I can go with.

Trevor Bradley said:
For those of you who think this is a dumb exercise, it is, but what's going on here is a "wisdom of the commons" effect. If you take a country fair and ask people to guess the weight of a pig, the guesses will vary wildly, but the median will actually be pretty close to the pig's weight.
Good try, but no. It's actually the Emperor's nose problem, since we don't have access to the pig in question.
I think it goes something like this:
The Emperor is never seen by any citizens. They don't know what he looks like at all. If you ask every citizen in the country how long the Emperor's nose it, you'll probably end up with what is about the median or average length of a normal nose.
Unfortunately, the Emperor might not even have a nose! Or it might be 15 inches long! Or maybe it's just a little too short or a little too long. The point is, without seeing the Emperor, it's impossible to guess.

I'm gonna say January 3rd, 2009. For a certain reason. I don't actually know anything.

PoisonedV said:
January fourth, 2009. mark my words. (thats for you, TaG)
And with the bulk of the shipments done by mid-February, the first Pandora Ebay auction to exceed $600 will take place on Feb. 15, 2009, mark my words. (thats for you, PoisonedV)

Trevor Bradley said:

Seeing as how Pandora #0001 will be completed in a week, and likely we'll need a good month of testing at least (barring metaphorical meteor strikes), plus another 2 weeks for organizing shipping and packaging (guessing that they'll be sent out in a sizable first batch of 100+), I think the mid-January dates are probably a pretty good guess.

It's still sensible to order parts and assemble in smaller batches, perhaps 500 at the absolute maximum. I'm in the "post-3000" group of the pre-orders, so I'm not expecting to receive mine until late February. Actually with all the parts problems I might not see mine until March at this rate. :|
Yes well it's too bad that the ship date isn't a pig already in existence.

Back