Sales shipping to canada query

I dont mind paying taxes on it, ill pay what I legally have to. However the outrageous fees that UPS charges to bring things into the country really should be outlawed IMO.

Yeah this is wrecking my excitment on preordering. I hope we hear so official input on this. Please?

This is really a shame. I haven't ordered yet either for this exact reason. I just got my OQO back from warranty repair and it had a 'brokerage fee' on it. This was incorrect too because they only charge a brokerage fee when there is a paid service rendered or there is goods purchased. It took me an hour and a half of phoning to finally talk to the broker. He said that because the shipping description didn't specifically say 'warranty' (it said 'Repaired by manufacturer') that there could have been a paid service involved. I had to prove to him that the service was under warranty before he'd lift the fee. The point is they'll charge the fee for anything and make it a pain in the ass to remove it so that most people just end up paying it. A UPS customer service rep even confirmed this conjecture.

RE: http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/file ... steps.html
Clearing the package yourself is only useful if the customs depot is within your city, otherwise you have to drive to that city to clear it. It's stupid.

Talked to Customs Canada too, they say there are no laws governing the broker practice and there's nothing you can do to about it. Classic capitalism; At the mercy of a fat, greedy company.

I'd like the company to address this too before I commit an order. The reasons are two: one, this could be rectified by using a ground service option with UPS or two, Canadians could have the option to use an alternate shipping service like Royal Post, even if it's at the expense of the customer. Both solutions are feasible so a lack of a response from Craig & Co is unacceptable. I've learned my lesson dealing with companies that snub international customer concerns. OQO is a nightmare. ;)

cbp said:
smithfan said:
I really hope someone is paying attention to these posts. Now that I know both options are still with UPS theres a good chance ill cancel my preorder if they dont give us another option. UPS and their crazy fees are just not an option. :(
I will also cancel my order if we can't get something else than UPS. :(

I am not willing to pay almost double the price.
With that money I can buy temporarily a N800 and still have enough to buy a Pandora on the second batch from NCIX.

Hell, last friday I ordered the new iPod touch 32GB for $250 (price error) and if that comes I can wait until second batch of pandoras. :(

Please Craig (or anyone in power) don't mess it up now, and help us out so that we can have our Pandoras.

I have to say, I'm in the same boat.

Eisner said:
I run a company out of Canada ( http://www.pinwest.net ). I would be more than happy to handle the Canadian customers. I would accept all the Pandoras and then drop ship them within Canada. I have been around in the pinball community for almost 10 years and have a very good reputation on rec.games.pinball.

I will e-mail Craig

David Eisner

Cool. This is pretty much what we need if Craig hasn't already arranged for something like this. However, on the otherhand, this might all depend on how much extra we're going to have to pay. Any experience on how much extra we're going to have to pay ontop, assuming that the Pandoras currently are getting shipped directly?

-Origin

I have not heard back from Craig yet but I hope to soon. I am sure he is quite busy with everything and he might very well have something in place.

I ship all over the world using Canadapost with no issues. I could easily calculate the cost if I had the exact weight ( boxed ) and the dimensions. I have a business account with them so I do get a slight savings on shipping.

I e-mailed Craig and PM him via this forum. I hope to hear from him soon concerning this.

On the side, I am planning on making an after market caring case for the Pandora. Any suggestions on the design for a case would be appreciated.

David Eisner
http://www.pinwest.net

Eisner said:
I ship all over the world using Canadapost with no issues. I could easily calculate the cost if I had the exact weight ( boxed ) and the dimensions. I have a business account with them so I do get a slight savings on shipping.

I e-mailed Craig and PM him via this forum. I hope to hear from him soon concerning this.
Great, keep us updated!

Eisner said:
On the side, I am planning on making an after market caring case for the Pandora. Any suggestions on the design for a case would be appreciated.
I never really understood a hard case for a hard object, seems to just add to the bulkiness of the thing. I always loved the neoprene case that came with my Logitech V270, its the somewhat stretchy "divers suit" material, so the case itself is just a bit smaller, and its zippered. I just toss my mouse into my backpack daily with all my other stuff and it provides great protection.

logitechV270_neopreneCase01.jpg

The Pandora version of this would be pretty similar to a typical neoprene laptop case I guess =)

Anyway, you might want to start a separate thread for suggestions ;)

-Origin

There's this thread and another thread on gp32 where no official higher-up has said anything and these threads have been here for many days now.

It leaves a bad taste in your mouth with nothing said at all. Oh sure I'll be happy when it arrives but if someone would at least say "we're looking into some answers for you guys" or whatever would be very appreciated instead of dropping the ball on this.

Zor Prime said:
There's this thread and another thread on gp32 where no official higher-up has said anything and these threads have been here for many days now.

It leaves a bad taste in your mouth with nothing said at all. Oh sure I'll be happy when it arrives but if someone would at least say "we're looking into some answers for you guys" or whatever would be very appreciated instead of dropping the ball on this.

Yeah I agree. Normally Id be more upset then I am. When this happens with large companies you know its because they just don't care. I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt though and say that the silence is just due to how busy they are. If I haven't seen a reply here within the next week or so though my opinion will change.

I wish I could say that Craig has contacted me but he has not. I hope that he does read or at least is aware of this thread.
It really would be nice to get some clarification on this.

David...

I'd chalk it up to how busy they are right now. These things aren't shipping for another month at least, so there's time. But yeah, obviously we're all dying to hear something, sooner the better, since we may have to make other shipping arrangements, if that's even possible.

Oh well, I'll start saving some money for UPS charges, and hope for the best. I'd much rather throw some money at the dev team than UPS!

I just did some Googling of AirSURE, and this is what I found:

"We track all Airsure® items until they leave the UK and then the item is handed over to the destination country's postal service as a priority item."

Looks like the AirSURE option bypasses UPS altogether. At least I hope that's what this means. Source:

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/c ... d=25700692

danbert2000 said:

"We track all Airsure® items until they leave the UK and then the item is handed over to the destination country's postal service as a priority item."

Looks like the AirSURE option bypasses UPS altogether. At least I hope that's what this means. Source:

We don't have any confirmation from admins, so we can't really be sure. Maybe someone from UK can call AirSure and ask.
What confuses us is that on the gbax site there is the UPS shipping logo.

I hope your right (about bypassing UPS).
Hopefully sometime soon someone will shed some light on the subject.

cbp said:
danbert2000 said:

We don't have any confirmation from admins, so we can't really be sure. Maybe someone from UK can call AirSure and ask.
What confuses us is that on the gbax site there is the UPS shipping logo.

Well, UPS was a shipping option, so of course they would present the logo. I think this is the same thing as a US company providing USPS and UPS, and showing the UPS logo as a sponsored partner (like Newegg.com).

Here's a Wikipedia article on Post Office Ltd., the company that provides AirSURE. No mention of UPS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post_Office_Ltd.

I have the same concern and I ordered with AirSURE.
It's not a courier service, internal mailing will be handled by the local mail company, but Royal Mail says it'll be handled as a priority item. I have ordered things above the legal limit (without taxes) here (that's in Brazil) and didn't get taxed, so I hope the Pandora passes through too, else I'll have to pay 60% of the Pandora's value in taxes <_<. But when I got an item by UPS, there were some gay taxes on both the item and the delivery service and I ended up paying 100% in taxes and a much more expensive shipping and taxing is assured as it doesn't go through normal customs procedure (all items coming through courier services are taxed here).

That's also why I didn't buy either the dev fund or the tv cable, didn't want spending to get out of control.

Etinin said:
That's also why I didn't buy either the dev fund or the tv cable, didn't want spending to get out of control.

That is a good point, I also didn't add anything other than the Pandora itself to my order, in order to hopefully fit under whatever the magic limit is. I hope to donate to the dev fund later on, but for billing purposes, I'll do it in another transaction, after Pandora is safe and sound in my hands. :)

Hey, so now that the Pandoras will be shipping as quick as they come off the assembly/testing line, we're gonna need some information on this whole customs thing asap!

Reference: http://forum.openpandora.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=405

At the end of the day, if there's nothing that can be done, so be it, lesson learned. I'll make sure my friends wait until Pandora ships from Canada before they order theirs. It'll likely still be worth any extra charges to have my Pandora for the holidays. <_< But, if something can be done, I'd sure love to hear about it soon!

Please let us know the results of both shipping methods when you get them. I'm not even thinking about ordering until I know what method is being used to ship.

Back