Sales shipping to canada query

rahulgarg

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
I am in Canada and want to preorder from GBAX. Does the shipping charge include customs clearance etc? Or will I need to clear all that stuff myself ?

Anyone from anywhere in the world can order a Pandora, and we have special distribution arrangements for USA, Canada, Spain, UK, Ireland, Germany & Turkey.

I was kinda hoping that they were shipping to us from Canada, at least a couple of the dev team members are in Canada if I remember correctly. But that may be more wishful thinking than anything.

-Origin

If nothing else please let us have our packages marked as gifts. Thats what the Pandora is, a gift from the heavens of the homebrew gods, so to speak. Definitely proud to say I awoke early to pre-order! Looking forward to the coming months.

Even as gifts, UPS will most likely charge customs. What they need to do is send it through purolator or canadapost. By my calculations, we could end up paying as much as $270 extra.

What I want to know is, if we get slapped by UPS with that huge amount, can we deny entry at customs and have the Pandora sent back for a full refund?

I'm from Canada too, I did forget to mention that my package is a "gift"... Any way to fix that?

UPS charges amazing fees, that's the reason why I didn't take the delivery with them but once in Canada it is handled by Canadapost.

We would at best charge border fees, the Pandora being an electronic device we don't pay the taxes or something like that...

*sorry for double post*

I have gotten linux distros from europe ie. (mandriva $89 canadian) and they mark it as being worth $1 and i didn't have to pay any duty.

darkm2222 said:
I have gotten linux distros from europe ie. (mandriva $89 canadian) and they mark it as being worth $1 and i didn't have to pay any duty.
Delivered with UPS? and in a somewhat heavy big box?

Can Craig tell us how many Canadians ordered the pandora? If there are many, maybe he can arrange for some alternate delivery methods, i.e. ship to US and send from there using USPS.
At the very least, maybe he can switch us to some other carrier.

There was some talk on the older forums of preordering through NCIX or some other canadian retailer. But I guess that is not happening. Would have been ultra convenient though with no uncertainty about postal service or customs.

I went with the slower shipping option for this very reason. I *know* UPS will add sizable customs fees. They charged me for my GP2X F200 about a month after I received it. I'm hoping to luck out with the slower airmail option.

TrevorBradley said:
I went with the slower shipping option for this very reason. I *know* UPS will add sizable customs fees. They charged me for my GP2X F200 about a month after I received it. I'm hoping to luck out with the slower airmail option.
If you google the "slower" delivery option, it is part of UPS UK. So, it will still be delivered with UPS.

I suspect they're all being shipped directly from the UK according to that crazy $20 + AirMail shipping price I had to pay. If they were shipped from inside the USA they could had done it USPS priority mail for just a few dollars instead of $20+.

Then I turned around and discovered my bank whacked me for 2% extra of total cost for having my dollars exchanged into pounds or euros or whatever. Friggin crazy.

edit: typo

Customs to Canada could be as much as ~30%. Let's hope it doesn't come to this, and arrangements are made to either ship within Canada or the States.

Getting dinged by currency conversion is a given. I just wish the exchange rates were better like back last October when I got my GP2X F200 ($1CDN was $1.10US). That paid for the customs fees. :)

Customs rates from the US are just as brutal. If it all gets shipped out of the UK, I'm wondering how much the Americans would get dinged.

Small consolation: you don't have to pay until after delivery...

I know it's going to be unpopular, but could the distributors have a look into this and let us know how much extra customs is going to cost us?

Crono said:
Customs to Canada could be as much as ~30%. Let's hope it doesn't come to this, and arrangements are made to either ship within Canada or the States.
more than 30% + tax.

The site mentioned 'special distribution arrangements' to Canada, so I assumed it was being shipped from within Canada and the (rather steep) fee would include all 'extras'. Now I'm not so sure, but at least there is still some time to get this resolved before actual shipping starts.

Back