Should Pyra have a Camera?

Should Pyra have a Camera?

• Yes

Votes: 111 43.0%
  • No

Votes: 147 57.0%

• Total voters

^

yo-dawg-i-heard-you-like-you-selfies-so-i-took-a-picture-of-you-taking-a-selfie-so-you-can-have-a-selfie-of-your-selfie.jpg

That doesn't actually make sense. If someone other than the "self" takes the picture, it ceases to be a selfie.

-God Ginrai

My laptop has a camera and I occasionally use it -- mostly when I'm abroad on a conference, to have a video chat with the home front.

I want the Pyra to be as close to a full laptop as possible, so having a camera would be nice. Or even two: one low-res user-facing and one high-res rear-facing. It could be easier and cheaper to add two fixed cameras than to add one rotating camera. If the rear camera is not too crappy, the Pyra could even replace my crappy camera.

Another solution for this almost equal state of the survey might be to deliver the pyra in standard with the additional cameras included. 

And whoever doesnt need or want them mounted could replace them with an also inclusively delivered blend cover that fits into the position of the cameras instead.

we would need a lid which is easy to open then =)

and a plug and play possibility for the camera(s).

*wondering about the prices for such cameras in particular*

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like all my devices to have a camera or two, unless they are really awful. (anything less than 8MP is kinda meh)

8MP? For video conferencing 0.3MP (640x480) or so is enough since there will not be enough bandwidth for much more than that anyway.

For a rear camera something more than that would of course be nice.

If we have one or two cameras in the Pyra, it will be crappy cameras anyway because of size constraints. It's pointless to have lots of megapixels if the camera is crappy anyway -- why waste storage space on lots of pixels that are mostly noise anyway? But a crappy camera is better than no camera at all, and it would be a nice extra feature. Especially since you have two SD slots and plenty of software to view/edit/manage pictures.

f we have one or two cameras in the Pyra, it will be crappy cameras anyway because of size constraints. It's pointless to have lots of megapixels if the camera is crappy anyway --
That's a sign that shitty marketing has worked very well. 8Mp was the state of the art for digital cameras not very long ago, and people saying anything less than that is meh is really nonsensical. And as you said most mobile cameras are really crap, so it's really not about the nb of pixels, rather the quality of the sensor and the optics... and the software/firmware.

Personally think it's an unnecessary expense. If it can be done affordable and not complicate the design, sure why not.

I'm pretty sure that using the Pyra as a mobile phone has long been ruled out. EvilDragon said he was considering 3G, but that was for data.
-God Ginrai
I guess that weakens my need for cameras on it.
Nonsense. If you have 3G you can also call and write SMS, you either get all three of them or nothing. You might just need a head set to make calls because... :)

Nonsense. If you have 3G you can also call and write SMS, you either get all three of them or nothing.
Not really. Data and SMS communication are through the same channel so having one guarantees the other(*), but for voice calling you need to connect more wires for the audio; there's no guarantee that a selected modem will have the necessary chips for voice or expose the lines. There are a number which only offer a single interface for data and SMS and no voice, unless you use Skype or other IP phone, of course.Most of the ones I looked at did support voice, but it would still require the board being wired for it and the SoC being able to support it.

edit: (*) under the broad assumption that your carrier supports data transmission, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
it should have two camera and also two screen or we won't be able to emulate the 3DS... :p

Nonsense. If you have 3G you can also call and write SMS, you either get all three of them or nothing.
Not really. Data and SMS communication are through the same channel so having one guarantees the other(*), but for voice calling you need to connect more wires for the audio; there's no guarantee that a selected modem will have the necessary chips for voice or expose the lines. There are a number which only offer a single interface for data and SMS and no voice, unless you use Skype or other IP phone, of course.
Most of the ones I looked at did support voice, but it would still require the board being wired for it and the SoC being able to support it.

edit: (*) under the broad assumption that your carrier supports data transmission, of course.
Oh, okay.

Thanks. :)

Back