Should We Move? - Forum Transfer Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
'x68000' said:
Chip has acted well above his station. DCGM was right on this one, the Rico incident was nothing compared to this.
What Rico incident? Seriously, what happened that guy? He used to be on all the time.

The forum bugs are quite annoying, and it is good to have an alternative, but gp32x.de should remain the home of the community IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, what is this whole Rico incident about? I guess I wasn't really active when it went down.

As far as moving to another forum is concerned, I don't mind staying here and living with bugs as long as we know that Hando hasn't abandoned the forums (and thus would revive them if they were to ever go down again).

christo930 said:
Why is everyone insisting that the forums are going to crash any day and that the site is doomed to a crash? Where is the evidence for this?[/quote

If I remember rightly, this board has gone down multiple times in the past year.

I don't understand all the angst and hatred being directed at Chip and ED, ED himself has brought this board back up from the dead several times. They've been selflessly serving you guys for ages, and have never expected a trace of gratitude.

About 2 years ago (it's been that long? :eek: ), the idea was proposed to eliminate discussion cube (which became excessively spammy) in favor of an entire section codenamed "slipzone" (codenamed sounds more awesome :p ). "Slipzone" was added as a subforum in off-topic. The concept was to disallow any kind of major moderation - just a plain freedom-of-speech type place. Needless to say, the idea failed. WarmfluffyUK became involved in an argument with the legendary Klown and KKndCF. Klown spit some amazing insults at Fluffy; she took action and banned him. Rico, the man who masterminded this excellent place, fought back and unbanned KKnd out of principle that no moderation is to take place.

Hando stripped Rico of mod status, perma-banned Klown and of course stripped KKnd of his mod-ship as well.

Thus, the birth of SZ. Which still lives on, albeit in a very different form.

Too much time here ;)

@streak: Can you persuade Hando to make a post on these forums about the situation? Even a small post would do a lot to reassure people, I think. Even something like "I don't have time now, but I'll come back and take care of this next week".

Also, maybe reply to EvilDragon's last post.

@EvilDragon: I understand the need to have an alternative ready if these forums crash, but don't think it's a good idea to split the community like this (and it's obvious that many established members have decided to stay here). What do you think of my idea of having those new forums up & ready, but locked, so that they can be instantly unlocked and serve as a home only if the GP32X forums ever do crash?

craigix said:
'nubie' said:
I don't have any qualms about letting ED have the forums, as long as Craig isn't a moderator (either in person or through puppets). I don't mind craig being who he is, just he shouldn't get to censor any part of the community.
I'm surprised you think I'd want to, I've never shown any interest in being a mod of any forum anywhere, but what i find more alarming is you think I'd ever censor anything, away from these boards I'm very much in to anti-censorship issues in the UK.

If I had any say it would be that there should be less censorship on these very boards, and less banning.

I miss you quasist.
So that's what happened! Since quasist got the perma-ban, the balance of the whole universe is collapsing, now it makes sense! He cursed the gp32x.demunity to split against their will... and this is the result...

Ark said:
What happened to my carefree days in Crysta gp32x.de? Someone give me those days back!

Everyone talks as if the OP forums are a safer alternative than GP32Xs. Well they are not. The OP forums will only exist as long as the Pandora project lives. If Pandora goes bust so does the OP boards. Why would they keep them going otherwise? I'd place my bets on these boards outliving OPs.

DisgruntleElf said:
Everyone talks as if the OP forums are a safer alternative than GP32Xs. Well they are not. The OP forums will only exist as long as the Pandora project lives. If Pandora goes bust so does the OP boards. Why would they keep them going otherwise? I'd place my bets on these boards outliving OPs.

Uh, why not? While others don't place their trust in craig or chip, and I don't completely blame them, ED has always been with the community, hes hosted GPX file archives, a GP2X forum, and that. I don't think the stability of the forums we move to should be something that should be argued over, focus on moderator drama

Hando can change all this if he wants.

Just fix things.

I'm pretty sure most of us would rather just stay here. But the board is pretty broken lately.

Well, now that I have calmed down and slept on it.

I guess I don't mind these old boards, or the new boards.

And I guess I can always check over at Craig or ED's site if GP32x is down, and then find out where all the numbskulls went (sometimes I miss you guys :( ).

I just wish there wasn't all of this drama (cue Kim Possible theme song: "so not the drama").

I expect things will calm down. . . maybe . . . I hope.

(Off Topic, what is up with Windows 7, is it just me or does it look like crap with all of the visual things off, and run like crap with them on? And my system isn't really a dog, the lowest scoring thing is the dual core procs at 5.2 on the "Windows Index" or Windex as I am going to call it. I've got an 8 series GTS card and 2 Gigs of ram. Must be the hard drive, need an OCZ Vertex SSD I suppose.)

we%20will%20never%20forget.jpg

that Chip is the guilty traitor here. And he must be dealt with.

'nubie' said:
Well, now that I have calmed down and slept on it.

I guess I don't mind these old boards, or the new boards.

And I guess I can always check over at Craig or ED's site if GP32x is down, and then find out where all the numbskulls went (sometimes I miss you guys :( ).

I just wish there wasn't all of this drama (cue Kim Possible theme song: "so not the drama").

I expect things will calm down. . . maybe . . . I hope.

(Off Topic, what is up with Windows 7, is it just me or does it look like crap with all of the visual things off, and run like crap with them on? And my system isn't really a dog, the lowest scoring thing is the dual core procs at 5.2 on the "Windows Index" or Windex as I am going to call it. I've got an 8 series GTS card and 2 Gigs of ram. Must be the hard drive, need an OCZ Vertex SSD I suppose.)
(Off topic: I find that it runs perfectly well on my laptop. No slowdowns, and I'm using the nice interface settings. Did you make sure to install up-to-date graphics drivers and the like? I'm sure you did, but just checking. I find it faster than Vista, easily. Sometimes I even find it's a bit faster than XP. Depends on what I'm doing.)

On topic: I agree with what people said about Hando needing to at least post in the thread to let us know he's alive. I'm glad that StreaK talked to him and whatnot, but Hando should at least make a guest appearance here himself. As many people have said - the fixes should be very quick, and installing the latest version of IPB shouldn't take more than a few hours. I'm sure he could find time to do that, and make everyone a LOT happier.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
[We will never forget]
that Chip is the guilty traitor here. And he must be dealt with.

You'll get over it. ;)

I don't think a witch hunt is the most important thing to do.

I do think that Chip (or maybe whoever directed Chip) handled this badly, though - the mod-warfare is something that could have been predicted.

@nubie: this isn't The Discussion Cube. Let us please either keep things on-topic, or post elsewhere.

Anyway, I'm staying put right here for now. I want to see how things develop.

You guys are way too fucking whiny about chip. He's moderately incompetent but hes not some devil 'traitor' that you're making him out to be

PoisonedV said:
You guys are way too fucking whiny about chip. He's moderately incompetent but hes not some devil 'traitor' that you're making him out to be

Basically, I agree. Chip is a very decisive person who tries to be authoritative, which is often good but can also lead to problems when it's uncalled for. I think that Chip is "just a little" rather than "moderately" incompetent - the trouble is that when you're very decisive and certain of yourself, small errors have bigger repercussions.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Myself I am not in favour of moving, we just need to get this place fixed that's all.

Yep. Meanwhile, go here for a quick actual fix to most forum bugs:
www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=47466&st=0

Hando giving a sign of life isn't good enough. There needs to be a confirmation that someone receives a back-up of the database periodically or even better, he should make someone co-administrator.
Appearantly asking Hando nicely didn't result in anything so IMO Chip did a good job. Chip handled for the interest of this community, I really think everyone needs to give him some slack. The final goal is having a board that is managed, his mail did give some results.

Also credits to Hando. He has been a great admin for years. Changes in real life or loss of interest can happen.
I also can understand the concerns Craigix and Evil Dragon have. They are trying to run a professional business, and clearly as this forum is set up right now is not in their interest.

Fact is that most will probably not want to move now Hando has replied one mail, but there isn't solved a thing.

Hando, don't try to solve this on your own and let Evil Dragon help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back