Shoulder Buttons

dctravis

Still Fresh
This device is absolutely awesome. The fact that they use the cheapest form of flash memory & have a dual sd slot. Everything about this is awesome except it would have been even more awesome if it would have had two shoulder buttons on each side. I do not know if this would have even been physically possible to fit it into the casing, but would have been cool. I am not trying to complain or say that the pandora is not good, just thought it would have made the pandora even more awesome, especially if it can emulate ps1 games!

by the way I LOVE THE DUAL NUBBIES (stupid sony still wont do it).

I'm pretty sure the only consoles with dual shoulder buttons are ps2 and up, which pandora has no chance of emulating.
Unless you want them for homebrew, I'm not sure I see much use of dual shoulders.
Also, I think there are extra input pads on the board, so modding one in wouldn't be too hard.

El Jefe said:
I'm pretty sure the only consoles with dual shoulder buttons are ps2 and up, which pandora has no chance of emulating.
Unless you want them for homebrew, I'm not sure I see much use of dual shoulders.
Also, I think there are extra input pads on the board, so modding one in wouldn't be too hard.

PS1...?

Last edited by a moderator:
How many PS1 games needed both shoulder buttons though? Anyway, I thought someone said there would be a way to use L2/R2 or L1/R1 (whichever isn't used often) by holding down another key at the same time or something.

LittleTodds said:
How many PS1 games needed both shoulder buttons though? Anyway, I thought someone said there would be a way to use L2/R2 or L1/R1 (whichever isn't used often) by holding down another key at the same time or something.

There is an entire keyboard full of extra buttons, you know...

Most games don't require heavy use of both L1/L2 or R1/R2 at the same time. So you map the ones that get used to the shoulder buttons and the others to the keyboard.

oops, I kinda assumed that since the ps1 had no analogs, it wouldn't have dual shoulders... oh well.
I managed to get through all of ff7, ff9 and chocobo racing without noticing... on an emulator.

ps1 did have analogues - dual ones!

Anyway.... I asked this question before and never got an answer so maybe I can in this thread.

Is there any way to use the 4 shoulder button pads (L1, L2 then R1 and R2) to mod a replacement of the standard shoulder buttons with analogue ones? There's little point in Dreamcast emulation (for me) without analogue shoulders!

Pleng said:
ps1 did have analogues - dual ones!

Anyway.... I asked this question before and never got an answer so maybe I can in this thread.

Is there any way to use the 4 shoulder button pads (L1, L2 then R1 and R2) to mod a replacement of the standard shoulder buttons with analogue ones? There's little point in Dreamcast emulation (for me) without analogue shoulders!

Yeah the Dualshock pad had 2 analogues. the standard ps1 pad didn't

Imagine how bad it would be for the people who own a Wiz to play the PS1 emulator. The controls on the Wiz is the main reason I ordered a Pandora instead.

Pleng said:
Then there's little point in Dreamcast emulation for you. All the buttons are just simple on/off switches. The only place analogue conversion takes place is on the nubs. There are theoretical mods you could do to add extra buttons, even analogue switches, via I2C or USB connection, but you would have to do those yourself or ask someone else to do for you.

WizardStan said:
Pleng said:
Then there's little point in Dreamcast emulation for you. All the buttons are just simple on/off switches. The only place analogue conversion takes place is on the nubs. There are theoretical mods you could do to add extra buttons, even analogue switches, via I2C or USB connection, but you would have to do those yourself or ask someone else to do for you.
It would be interesting to see if it was possible to develop some kind of small shoulder button circuit, that would connect to two shoulder button solder pads (because there are two on each side as you all know) and that would be able to register 4 different pressure states for each button. Not like having a real analog button, but close enough.

EDIT: of course, a circuit wouldn't be enough; you'd have to have specialized shoulder buttons too of course. Just to prevent confusion ;)

it should be quite nice to use the 2nd analog on pandora to represent the analog shoulder buttons on the dreamcast for most games that actually use that option (mostly racing games iirc)
Actually, I still use my dreamcast quite frequently and had totally forgotten the shoulders are analog.

I had thought of that before, but it wouldn't really be terribly comfortable; you'd have to map up to accelerate and left or right to brake, down to brake and left or right to accelerate.

Either way, power sliding isn't going to feel terribly natural, And as the analogue sticks are circular rather than square you'd have to map full-throttle to be only half lock on the pad to still be able to slam the breaks on full whack.

Actually, the gameboy advance has shoulder buttons... although it can be emulated on a lot of devices that don't have them so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
edit: I may have missread the tread, are you talking about dual shoulder buttons? I wasn't sure what you meant but I think double shoulder buttons would be too cramped to use effectively.

Its being talked here, plus some extra.

Pandora Addons

im very insterested on this due to my interest on full controled games of the PS1
like Ace Combat Series and all Flight Simulators. need em for instant throttle keyboar buttons are way too far and unconfortable
Ape Escape
MGS Series.

on these you always lack of more buttons :p.

anyway i expect to be able to solder some kind of conn for the extra L2/R2 buttons. and add some ergonomics to enhance the gaming

If everything else fails you can get a Dreamcast pad, glue an USB adapter to the bottom, somehow mount the Pandora on the top (over the expansion ports, not on top of the VMU display) and play like that. Could get a bit heavy, though.

j6cubic said:
If everything else fails you can get a Dreamcast pad, glue an USB adapter to the bottom, somehow mount the Pandora on the top (over the expansion ports, not on top of the VMU display) and play like that. Could get a bit heavy, though.

Yea, I'd probably just get a USB controller with analogue shoulders, or, failing that, a PS3 controller.

Still puts my dream of Daytona on the buses on hold though :(

Back