Shoulder shift yielding unexpected results in OS version 5.6.15

Grench

Forum Addict!
So I was fiddling around in the latest OS version. Every time I hit the shoulder shift it pops up individual file browsers for every partition on the device.

So - what's up with that?

5.6.15-letux-lpae-tiler

Frustrating to not have that shoulder shift - assuming that can get fixed.

Not seen this behaviour here - although I haven't been using the eMMC or internal SD much; I tested that eMMC access at least was still OK with the button pressed.

I think the bootloader was supposed to set this up and the kernel leave it alone. Are you sure it is a kernel change, and not a bootloader change (e.g. from a new image) that has triggered this?

This is nothing to solve the Problem, just to celebrate that the Pyra will have 4 working Shoulderbuttons, unlike my Pandora ^^

Fire 1, Fire 2, Reload, Next Weapon ^^

Reactions: rSl
Tried with an internal uSD too (incidentally is it really hard to open the socket the first time on all units or was mine dodgy?), still not seen any issues pressing L1.

If you want to try updating U-Boot, I have attached the version I am currently testing with.

1. Make a backup of any precious data on the SD card due to the risk of accidental corruption
2. Extract the files somewhere
3. Run the following commands to update your boot SD card, replacing <sdcard> with the name of the SD card device (I do this on a Linux desktop but I guess it would work from the Pyra itself).
Code:
sudo dd if=MLO of=/dev/<sdcard> count=1 seek=1 bs=128k conv=notrunc
sudo dd if=u-boot.img of=/dev/<sdcard> count=2 seek=1 bs=384k conv=notrunc

Attachments

• pyra-uboot-latest.zip
    228.2 KB · Views: 222
If you want to try updating U-Boot, I have attached the version I am currently testing with.

1. Make a backup of any precious data on the SD card due to the risk of accidental corruption
2. Extract the files somewhere
3. Run the following commands to update your boot SD card, replacing <sdcard> with the name of the SD card device (I do this on a Linux desktop but I guess it would work from the Pyra itself).
Code:
sudo dd if=MLO of=/dev/<sdcard> count=1 seek=1 bs=128k conv=notrunc
sudo dd if=u-boot.img of=/dev/<sdcard> count=2 seek=1 bs=384k conv=notrunc

Alright. I did that on my boot card. No change in above reported behavior. Left Fn (Top left shoulder) is working as expected/normal. Lower left shoulder Shift is auto-launching a separate instance of Caja file browser for every partition on both cards (left and right slots) when held + touching the G key.
left shoulder shift+any keyboard key = file browser bonanza

Booting from my old OS install on the eMMC, the problem does not happen. (5.6.15 as updated from apt update apt upgrade)

Weird.

I'm going to re-make my boot SD card from scratch. Again.

Hmm I know a lot of the keyboard definition is setup in the device tree structure... specifically defining the matrix for the TCA8418 I2C keypad controller... wondering perhaps loading an odd dtb version?

Reactions: rSl
Does indeed seem a device tree problem (not so much the keypad controller as the eMMC/SD control not being set to SW mode), but a 4.19 dtb will not boot at all with the 5.6 kernel from experience and I don't think there have been any changes within the 5.6 versions.

I haven't tried that exact image yet - but the biggest difference might be U-boot version and it seems like you tried the exact same build as me that I linked already. Which device are you booting from when you say 'boot SD card'? It is possible something is ropey with booting off the internal uSD slot, if that is what you are using.

I haven't tried that exact image yet - but the biggest difference might be U-boot version and it seems like you tried the exact same build as me that I linked already. Which device are you booting from when you say 'boot SD card'? It is possible something is ropey with booting off the internal uSD slot, if that is what you are using.

Sounds to me like the issue is within that linked image?

The issue occurs when I boot from a fresh OS image using the above mentioned link off of a known good 64GB Samsung Evo Select microSDXC card in a straight through SanDisk microSDXC to SDXC adapter to fit in the left SDXC slot on the Pyra.

The issue does -not- occur when I boot form my old install on the eMMC.

I am not booting from the internal microSDXC slot in this example.
Post automatically merged:

I just tried that image now. Indeed, the shoulder button does cause dodgy behaviour when using that image as-is. When using my newer build of U-boot, though, it is fine.
Alright. Then I will try again to load the U-boot to this card.

Alright - that bit is solved now. I can use left-shoulder-shift again. Who do we let know about the issue in the posted image?

Back