Shouldn't Discussion Stay Open in an "Open" Forum?

dajavax

Still Fresh
I believe we should be able to discuss about things and not be restricted, it's like people are not fighting or insulting just having a group discussion I don't see anything bad on it. Anyways, as the other two "most powerful handheld" threads are closed now, I just wanted to share some things I found really quickly.

zodttd said:
You see, the iPhone 3GS has had a large upgrade in the performance department. It’s very powerful CPU and GPU, its guts are very similar to the OpenPandora.org’s Pandora project. They both have an ARM Cortex A8 processor, and they both have the PowerVR SGX video chipset. The iPhone 3GS clocks in at 600MHz too!

These similarities have me quite excited! While working with my Pandora MK2 devkit I have made psx4pandora, which has many games running fullspeed (60 FPS for NTSC) with sound @ 500MHz. The iPhone 3GS sounds suited for psx4iphone now!
and
Wikipedia said:
A mobile device (also known as cellphone device, handheld device, handheld computer, "Palmtop" or simply handheld) is a pocket-sized computing device, typically having a display screen with touch input or a miniature keyboard.

just some quotes, so it's not anything from my opinion...

i'm sure most of us knew this already. those threads were closed because the trolls would not listen to anything presented to them and it would surely turn into a massive bitchfest.

Xian Long said:
i'm sure most of us knew this already. those threads were closed because the trolls would not listen to anything presented to them and it would surely turn into a massive bitchfest.
thanks for the response... i guess you're right... both sides wouldn't listen to the other and would just say their device of choice was better instead of having an actual discussion about it... my mistake then... but an actual discussion would actually be good (specially for people interested in getitng a similar handheld but just starting to look for options) though it seems hard to accomplish...

dajavax said:
Xian Long said:
thanks for the response... i guess you're right... both sides wouldn't listen to the other and would just say their device of choice was better instead of having an actual discussion about it... my mistake then... but an actual discussion would actually be good (specially for people interested in getitng a similar handheld but just starting to look for options) though it seems hard to accomplish...
no, the trolls only wanted to find the smallest possible reason to discredit the team.

What would be the point of that? I still want a Pandora. It's not like, just because they try to make it seem like an iPhone could do similar things, that the pandora is all the sudden any different than it has always been? For me, they could argue all day about specs but in the end, it was all for nothing because it doesn't matter anyway :p Besides, this is OpenPandora's forums, they have the right to ensure a professional and friendly discussion and the right to remove any posts that they see fit... I mean, those with control issues might feel that "lack of control" but it's just the truth and I would suggest "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" you know that old saying.

People will complain about anything on the internet and I can never figure out why either.
I frequent the yahoo boards for a few stocks I own (never know, might get a lucky tip) and there's always someone that comes along and blasts about how we're idiots for owning and need to sell and yadda yadda. It's like, these forums are frequented by a few hundred, maybe a couple thousand, people. Even if every single one of them suddenly said "OMG You're right! I'm gonna sell right now!" it would barely register a blip on the exchange. Such posts waste the posters time, and everyone else's for having read it.
So too, attempting to berate people here for getting a Pandora, as if trying to change peoples minds; seriously, even if every single person that read that last topic had a sudden change of heart and canceled their orders because Craig is a lying weasel, it was what? 100 views at most? Way to target an audience.
Now, successful troll has been triple successful, once entirely by proxy. Why are we still discussing this?

anexanhume said this:
Both sides have made their points and it's nothing more than a semantics game. Feel free to talk about the iphone 3GS and how it compares to the pandora hardware in the other handhelds forum.

Locked.
Why not just move it to the other handhelds forum? When treads are locked that I posted in it just makes me feel bad. Maybe there should be an area to send threads that moderators feel need to be locked for whatever reasons. Eh, maybe it's just me, but it feels like censorship. On the other hand this is their forum, as an owner they can do whatever they want.

EDIT:

Yeah WizardStan, I agree with what you said, but the information is relevant to the subject, people just stating their opinion. I don't like people complaining but it's their right too.

I was watching videos on youtube and came across a cat playing piano, it was pretty funny, and read the recent comments. Some guy has this huge rant about how he is a Vietnam Vet and this guy should screw himself because while people are dying all over the world and what not why is he wasting time taping his cat. I do draw the line at irrelevant posts like this, but as long as it's on subject and it's someones opinion then I think it's fine.

After writing this post I do think that it is in the moderators right to lock or delete threads though. I still feel a little bad when threads are locked for reasons that aren't because it was getting too off subject though.

Yes, this forum is bustling with so much activity that I can certainly understand the moderators compelling need to close off-topic threads. Closing the thread in question came off as arbitrary and showed poor judgment. Haven't noticed that moderator before, but maybe the other moderators need to rethink his privileges.

I closed the first one, and deleted the second one. It deteriorated to the point where nothing new was being said, and most of the posts were insults. The second one STARTED with the same information and insults.

second.exodous said:
anexanhume said this:
Both sides have made their points and it's nothing more than a semantics game. Feel free to talk about the iphone 3GS and how it compares to the pandora hardware in the other handhelds forum.

Locked.
Why not just move it to the other handhelds forum? When treads are locked that I posted in it just makes me feel bad. Maybe there should be an area to send threads that moderators feel need to be locked for whatever reasons. Eh, maybe it's just me, but it feels like censorship. On the other hand this is their forum, as an owner they can do whatever they want.

EDIT:

Yeah WizardStan, I agree with what you said, but the information is relevant to the subject, people just stating their opinion. I don't like people complaining but it's their right too.

I was watching videos on youtube and came across a cat playing piano, it was pretty funny, and read the recent comments. Some guy has this huge rant about how he is a Vietnam Vet and this guy should screw himself because while people are dying all over the world and what not why is he wasting time taping his cat. I do draw the line at irrelevant posts like this, but as long as it's on subject and it's someones opinion then I think it's fine.

After writing this post I do think that it is in the moderators right to lock or delete threads though. I still feel a little bad when threads are locked for reasons that aren't because it was getting too off subject though.
thanks... that was the point of this thread... you said it much better and that's exactly what i meant... sorry for the off-topic part of my first post... i just made my reply and then noticed that thread was closed... didn't wanted to discard it

When a thread starts getting filled with personal attacks and insults, you have two choices: delete/edit posts and warn the users, or lock the thread as an example to those involved. I locked the thread that I did because a good portion of it was insults, and it was created perpetuating the insults of the previous thread on the topic.

Now, if you want to talk about pandora's hardware, other devices that share it and their relative advantages/disadvantages due to their specific configurations of hardware and software, that's fine. However, arguing about previous threads and/or posters and insulting people who disagree with you is not relevant to the pandora.

Hmm, I also realize that the forums for the Pandora have a lot of people that go overboard on certain things. I'm not used to this as the forums I frequent the most are for software, mainly OS forums. On those forums it seems people are a lot more patient and want to help. Although, people go there for help or to help, having a purpose to post. On these forums the product in question isn't even out yet so people come here to post opinions and ideas. I hope when the Pandora is finished and everyone that bought one has their copy things start to mellow out a bit and people are more interested in fixing problems than they are stating opinions.

Oh well, only in a Utopia.

@se agreed. To both the mods, I see your point. My preference would be that you delete the offending post, warn the poster, and post one warning in the thread before you close it. Regardless, point made.

anexanhume said:
When a thread starts getting filled with personal attacks and insults, you have two choices: delete/edit posts and warn the users, or lock the thread as an example to those involved. I locked the thread that I did because a good portion of it was insults, and it was created perpetuating the insults of the previous thread on the topic.
why not about creating a special topic "Chad's ranting" where to move all his posts ? :p :wink:

Or simply let Chad only post on "Hall Of Shame" :p :wink:

Dude, my Tercel is awesome! It's as fast as your Corvette. I painted it white, so that makes it awesome. Wha - less cylinders? Well, because of magic my Tercel can be just as fast with less cylinders, because I said so, and you're a lying fag.

/Summary

I was not impressed by the last thread. Crap like that should be deleted. ^_^

If people want to ignore facts, then whatever. Let them rot in their ignorance. No point feeding the trolls.

and thus the insults start again? c'mon guys.

The problem is the internet is the internet, always has been and always will be. When people choose to be asshats there's no amount of banning, censoring, thread closeing that will stop it, the best you can do is persuade them other wise constantly until they get tired and take their brand of bullshit elsewhere. The only persons with that power are mods and the only tools mods have are as mentioned before so it all just goes areound and around until someone gets permabanned until he learns to change his IP address and returns.

These things happen. The only defense is vigilance.

fischju said:
I closed the first one, and deleted the second one. It deteriorated to the point where nothing new was being said, and most of the posts were insults. The second one STARTED with the same information and insults.
Heh, well I think that Craig should get a manicure and his nails colored red. Also the bike shed should be aquamarine and the Pandora should come with a zapper to zap anybody that uses it for trolling. :p

But, yeah, that sort of thing seems to happen on all the forums I go to, the main difference from forum to forum is how much free time and mods have to close those sorts of threads and hit people with the ban hammer.

Alpha2 said:
I don't insult people. I just insult misconceptions.

Zodttd said that the iPhone OS has more overhead, and not all registers are available. The trolls were arguing that software doesn't matter - but I bet those are the exact same people saying Vista is slower than XP. Hypocracy. :lol:

If software isn't part of the equation of what makes something faster, then this 1.6ghz Athlon XP running Vista is faster than that 1.5ghz Athlon XP running XP. ;) Even though the Vista computer takes longer to do everything, and gets lower framerates, it's actually running faster.

/insert troll comments here

Kramy said:
Alpha2 said:
I don't insult people. I just insult misconceptions.

Zodttd said that the iPhone OS has more overhead, and not all registers are available. The trolls were arguing that software doesn't matter - but I bet those are the exact same people saying Vista is slower than XP. Hypocracy. :lol:

If software isn't part of the equation of what makes something faster, then this 1.6ghz Athlon XP running Vista is faster than that 1.5ghz Athlon XP running XP. ;) Even though the Vista computer takes longer to do everything, and gets lower framerates, it's actually running faster.

/insert troll comments here
no, i think he was referring to my comment that was deleted.

Back