Sim City Source Released

Hmm... Micropolis. Oh well, still a great game even with the name change. :p

Touchscreen support would definitely be nice (if someone does actually port this). :)

Bah, everyone knows that 2000 is the best Sim City.

And shame on them for messing with the code so much (especially the plane crash disaster, just because something bad happened doesn't mean we should try to erase it from our lives)

Blah said:

And shame on them for messing with the code so much (especially the plane crash disaster, just because something bad happened doesn't mean we should try to erase it from our lives)
They didn't remove planecrashes, they just implemented Jack Bauer. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't checked the source, and I suck at reading other peoples code, but would it be too hard to rewrite the user interface using SDL?

Well if we can get something near the original DOS code, it wouldn't be that hard, as it already drew its interfaces itself, unlike Windows programs.

Let's just hope they didn't screw it all up by adding all this Python nonsense

Let's just hope they didn't screw it all up by adding all this Python nonsense

I'm pretty sure they did. OLPC people are crazy.

I've tried building it on my Linux box. It got a fair way through then got an error - I haven't looked at it closely yet, but there was some reference to TCL.

If it's required for the program, not just building, I can't believe they used C++, Python and TCL in the same game - it's a porting nightmare.

Blah said:

Only the 'everyone' who never played Sim City 2000 Network Edition. All the beauty and greatness of SC2k, plus *MULTIPLAYER* support. The best Win32 game that doesn't work in WinXP. Remember all those tax sliders and checkboxes? Imagine having to VOTE to mess with them. Or sign a contract to trade your superior fire protection for access to your neighbor's school system. Water for power, bridge access in return for political support, you name it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back