Simple Drawing Tool

Lorkile

So after trying mtPaint I quickly realize it is in many ways like Gimp, still too complicated for my interests, cluttered and simply put designed for a different purpose then I have in mind.

It made me remember an excellent drawing program I once had the pleasure to spend a fair bit of time with, albeit needed some tweaks that the developer had lost interest in considering, called Colors!
http://collectingsmiles.com/

On most days I set a couple of options and then would proceed to use it for Kanji review because I could simply write out a few Kanji on my DSL, wipe them and draw again from memory. It was also excellent as something to show off the homebrew scene with since it was extremely well polished and everyone I had a chance to show it to just fell in love. It's probably the only thing that makes me miss my DSL though.

Anyways, I would love to see something like Colors for the Pandora. It had a great interface, and responds very well (mtPaint, on the other hand really shows how pixel perfect designs it was meant for by freezing mid stroke when I'm writing Kanji), like the mini voice recorder idea I think a simple and well unified interface like that of colors makes for a wonderful experience and I would love if someone got interested in such a program.

Colors! is meant for an entirely different purpose than mtPaint - what's amazing about it is that it's meant to replicate the experience of using a drawing tablet (it even has pressure-sensitivity, to the degree that the DS' touch-screen allows for it), and it works beautifully. It also keeps all of the tools out of sight unless you press a button to bring them up, giving you the entire screen space to work in.

I remember when it first became available - it's still one of my favourite pieces of DS homebrew software ever.

Sure, Colors! I like it.

But I'd like to see some SW for more technical drawing (sketching). Vector based graphic, with dimensioning (that influence drawing to proper size) at the best. Has anybody some suggestion?

Actually I'd like Google SketchUp, but this is closed source, so "no go". ;-(

peca said:
But I'd like to see some SW for more technical drawing (sketching). Vector based graphic, with dimensioning (that influence drawing to proper size) at the best. Has anybody some suggestion?

Actually I'd like Google SketchUp, but this is closed source, so "no go". ;-(
Isn't SketchUp for 3D modeling? If you can live with just 2 dimensions, Inkscape is good for vector stuff. Not sure what it'd perform like on the Pandora though - it's pretty heavy.

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveM: Yes, but I don't expect SketchUp like SW anyway. And on small display will be better something really simple to use. InkScape is great SW that I use before and like it. But It is far complex that I need on Pandora. Nowadays I'm quite busy so I just picking up tips. I haven't time to try porting or programming stuff now, but it must (I hope it will) change in a future.

peca said:
Sounds like you're looking for CAD software. There's a good collection of 2D FOSS CAD programs (QCad is popular, PythonCAD should be easy to port). There are far fewer 3D FOSS CAD programs (FreeCAD looks promising but is early in development, while BRL-CAD is old and stable but esoteric). But amongst all of those, I haven't found any that have any good constraint solving included.

Korlithiel said:
Anyways, I would love to see something like Colors for the Pandora. It had a great interface, and responds very well (mtPaint, on the other hand really shows how pixel perfect designs it was meant for by freezing mid stroke when I'm writing Kanji), like the mini voice recorder idea I think a simple and well unified interface like that of colors makes for a wonderful experience and I would love if someone got interested in such a program.

My app will be ready about a month after I get my Pandora. It's quite similar to Colors. I just need to be able to test it.

rabidpoobear, then I look forward to you getting your Pandora. Heck, by then my Pandora's LCD cable will likely have died and I'll have sent in my system for repairs.

Back