Simple Pandora crossdev setup?

So do you need an ext2 position any more, or could an ntfs one be used these days?

I feel like the need of ext2 might depend on what kind of project you want to build. I've been using the Code::Blocks PND on a FAT32 SD card without issues, so it's not like it doesn't work at all.
I've only been building my own projects though, with all dependencies already being satisfied by what the PND comes with. Symlinks certainly work within the mounted PND file system since that is not related to SD card's one at all

Latest progress:

I installed the Codeblocks PND and it seems to work fine, I even started the GUI and compiled a simple SDL app. Though a bit hard to code since you only see about one line of code at the time! :D

Next step was that I was going to try to get SSH/SCP running so I can code on PC. But I can't get the wireless network going, at all. It has worked before, but now it gets stuck asking for the WAP/WAP2 password even though I'm 100% it's correct. :(

Latest progress:

I installed the Codeblocks PND and it seems to work fine, I even started the GUI and compiled a simple SDL app. Though a bit hard to code since you only see about one line of code at the time! :D

Next step was that I was going to try to get SSH/SCP running so I can code on PC. But I can't get the wireless network going, at all. It has worked before, but now it gets stuck asking for the WAP/WAP2 password even though I'm 100% it's correct. :(

I'm pretty sure the Pandora is not compatible to WPA2, what of the two are you using ?

IIRC, it is compatible with WPA2, but not wireless N. Some routers have the G version optional, and might come with it turned off by default. (In that case though, I guess it wouldn't get as far as asking for the password.)

Edit: The Pandora also supports USB networking, which is faster (and maybe more reliable) than wifi. Back when I was using it, it seemed to be making the host computer's wifi unstable, so I gave up and went back to wifi on the Pandora; but I haven't tried it recently.

Last edited:
The weird thing is that the WiFi was working fine just a couple of days ago, I even downloaded some stuff directly on the Pandora using that app-browser thing that came included with the latest OS install.
But now since I installed CodeBlocks, it simply refuses to work. I have not made any changes to my wifi equipment at all, nor on the Pandora settings. Really strange!
And it finds my network, and prompts for the password (with WPA/WPA2 personal option chosen) and I double-triple-quadruple-checked that the password was correct, but it just goes back to prompting after a while.

I guess I'll have to look into other options of getting files shared between PC and Pandora...

For regular portable use, wifi might be important. But for remote-controlling the Pandora from the PC and transferring files, the USB networking is probably worth a try. I might try it with my Windows machine later and then maybe I can give some more info. (It was an old version of Fedora that was giving me the wifi issues I mentioned in the previous post.)

For occasional file transfer, of course you can swap SD cards and USB flash drives around, but that's a pain for doing all the time.

Back on the original question, if you're building a project that takes a while, surely a crossdev environment would be faster? People who build big stuff on the Pandora, do you just wait patiently?

So, I plugged the Pandora into my Windows computer, which detected a "CDC Composite Gadget" but couldn't find a driver for it. On my Fedora computer I plugged it in, and did "sudo ifconfig usb0 up" on the Pandora, with the result that NetworkManager on Fedora detected a virtual Ethernet network but failed to connect to it. I vaguely recall needing another step, but no idea what it was.

ISTR there's an option either in the system menu of the start menu or the pandora settings applet. I can't remember now what it's called or exactly what it looks like, but I think you need to do that first to make it act as a cardreader for your SD cards. In practice, it probably just loads a kernel module, like most of the other options in the pandora settings applet.

There's an option to present one of your SD cards over the USB as mass storage. That does work on Windows. But to do this, the SD card has to be unmounted from the Pandora's point of view, so the Pandora can't access it meanwhile; and mine were always rather flaky about whether they would succeed at unmounting or claim they were in use.

The virtual ethernet is a different thing. When the mass storage mode isn't enabled, my Pandora appears as that "CDC Composite Gadget" instead. (Enabling/disabling mass storage while the USB was connected to the computer, Windows reacted like I'd unplugged the device and plugged something else in.)

I managed to get working ethernet this by plugging in a USB->Ethernet dongle and enabliding "USB Host". Now I can SSH into the device, and also use SCP to copy files to/from the device - so partial success!
My next step was to try and use the Codeblocks command shell on the Pandora itself to build source files I've SCPed from my Windows computer. I did manage to run GCC on a small C program ("gcc helloworld.c") and get a correctly compiled a.out executable.

However, the shell seems completely wacky, If I try to run things like "make" or even simpler "ls" I get "input/output errors".
Could this be caused by me having the Codeblocks.pnd on my normal system SD-card, and it needs to be put on a Linux filesystem SD card instead?

I use a Linux cross-compiler I built a long time ago with the script from this thread. The more recent posts touch up on relevant troubleshooting, but just in case I put an archive of my local build on Dropbox that you can extract to /opt. You also need to install all dependencies mentioned in the thread including 32bit compat. Hope this helps!

OK, I'm still struggling getting this to work. I got myself a second SD-card, spent a lot of time getting it formatted correctly as EXT2, moved the whole codeblocks.pnd to that. Finally I can start developing? Nope...still stuck where I was when I had it on the other SD card.

The "Dev Command Line Interface" remains completely broken. It seems to set up the GCC-chain correctly, but the shell is just messed up.
Example:

sdw-openpandora:/mnt/utmp/codeblocks$ ls
bash: /mnt/utmp/codeblocks/usr/bin/ls: Input/output error

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd really like to get some demo-coding going on the Pandora!

The problem discussed in that link I think are related to trying to run the codeblocks development shell remote, which is of course something that would be nice, but not necessary. At the moment I would be content with SCPing the files and then doing the compiling by running "make" on the Pandora in the shell there.

But, as I said, I can't get it working at all! Has someone tried installing the codeblocks.pnd, and running the dev shell from the icon? Is it working for anyone?

I'm not sure if this could be of help, but I had issues years ago, while launching Pandora PNDs remotely from Windows

Unlikely to help because our plucky OP is not launching X apps, but just trying to launch standard linux commands that I assume would work fine in a normal terminal, just fail in a codeblocks terminal. But thanks for posting anyway.

Back