Release skype on pandora

teppic said:
Pleng said:
javaJake said:
He has a point, though. Just because it's closed-source doesn't mean it's evil. It's still OK to want it, especially for very practical reasons.

Exactly. Many closed source apps are very good at what they do. That's because a dedicated, targeted team of people spend large amounts of time developing the software and are financially rewarded for doing so.

My main point, however, is that most Pandoras will laden with closed source items. And *all* Pandoras will have closed source drivers. So buying a Pandora is not a good idea if you really intend to be a self-appointed OpenSource Cop (OSPD?)
There is a huge difference between binary drivers and proprietary communications protocols. The fact that skype is closed source and based on proprietary protocols means we're pretty much screwed right now. So how can it not be evil?

A binary blob-driver won't really make that much of a difference in the long run, as long as we're supporting open api's (like opengl es, etc).

I really don't understand fighting for ideals then drawing a load of pencil lines to mark out where we think the boundaries are.

I personally do not follow the 'closed source is evil' ideal. But I have more respect for those who do, and who stick to it, than those who say 'Open Source is evil APART from drivers. They are ok'

Also: 'Because Skype is closed source we can't run it on Pandora, therefore it is evil' is just silly. OpenPandora is a commercial venture just like any other handheld. It's up to the makers to attract 3rd party development. Advising users to stay away from well-established a software package or protocol which they rely on for saving money on communications, just because it doesn't run on Pandora, is ridiculous.

And following the 'Because Skype is closed source we can't run it on Pandora, therefore it is evil', means that closed source is ONLY evil if a port isn't available for Pandora. Closed source apps which have Pandora versions are fine. Even if they don't run on GP2X or Wiz or any other device...

Pleng said:
I really don't understand fighting for ideals then drawing a load of pencil lines to mark out where we think the boundaries are.

I personally do not follow the 'closed source is evil' ideal. But I have more respect for those who do, and who stick to it, than those who say 'Open Source is evil APART from drivers. They are ok'
I'm not saying that I like closed source drivers. But let's just be realistic and make a difference where we can.

However, the binary drivers does use an open standard (OpenGL ES), so you can easily port you applications to any other platform (possibly with an open driver) supporting the same standard. The point here is that skype is closed in every possible way.

Also: 'Because Skype is closed source we can't run it on Pandora, therefore it is evil' is just silly. OpenPandora is a commercial venture just like any other handheld. It's up to the makers to attract 3rd party development. Advising users to stay away from well-established a software package or protocol which they rely on for saving money on communications, just because it doesn't run on Pandora, is ridiculous.
It seems that you don't understand the different concepts here. This is not about skype being opensource or not. It is about skype using proprietary protocols instead of well-established standards (VoIP). If it was based on open standards you would have the freedom of choice. If you would like to use a closed source application - be my guest. I prefer to use open source alternatives when I have the option.

And following the 'Because Skype is closed source we can't run it on Pandora, therefore it is evil', means that closed source is ONLY evil if a port isn't available for Pandora. Closed source apps which have Pandora versions are fine. Even if they don't run on GP2X or Wiz or any other device...
I hope you aren't suggesting that I have said anything like that. I am quite clear on the point that I think you should follow open standards at all times, if possible, to avoid vendor lock-in.

And no, i don't run skype on my computer either because of said reasons.

Amnesiasoft said:
...So, if I want to be able to talk with people, I'd want to use the program people use, not the one nobody has ever even heard of. I don't want someone to ask me "Hey, what's your skype username?" and have to tell them "Oh, I use <program X>. You have to get that to talk to me!"

teppic said:
...I am quite clear on the point that I think you should follow open standards at all times, if possible, to avoid vendor lock-in.

The two sides right there: use open source / open standards to promote freedom of choice etc. But ultimately if the closed version of something gains dominance the masses flock to it.

On this one, I don't think I'll bother. Anywhere I have wireless I won't need skype/mumble on Pandora. Anywhere I don't have wireless I'll have a mobile, which is probably how I'd connect Pandora to the net anyway, and calls are cheaper than net access for me.

teppic said:
Pleng said:
It seems that you don't understand the different concepts here. This is not about skype being opensource or not. It is about skype using proprietary protocols instead of well-established standards (VoIP). If it was based on open standards you would have the freedom of choice. If you would like to use a closed source application - be my guest. I prefer to use open source alternatives when I have the option.

The point is that many people DONT have the option. Because Skype is what their friends and family use so they have to use it if they want to contact them for free.

I hope you aren't suggesting that I have said anything like that.

Well it appears I misread your original statement, for which I apologize.

The fact that skype is closed source and based on proprietary protocols means we're pretty much screwed right now. So how can it not be evil?

My reasoning being that we're 'pretty much screwed right now' as a Pandora client isn't available. If one was available, we wouldn't be screwed, therefore it wouldn't be evil.

I am quite clear on the point that I think you should follow open standards at all times, if possible, to avoid vendor lock-in.

I don't run Skype either. Simply because I don't talk to people that much, and the ones I do all have MSN. Doesn't mean that I can't see why it wouldn't be useful on Pandora, and no 'Skype is evil' preaching is going to change the fact that a lot of people would find it a hell of a lot MORE useful than any of the open standards which are available.

you are browsing the internet, which means you are connected to an ISP, and every ISP has a terms of agreement and limitations on what you can do. so people who talk about how they wont use any software that isn't 'free', i guess they arent opposed to connecting to hardware that isn't free, running software that isnt free...

I pay skype for its lan lines and cell in\out calling service. I even have a number people with normal phones can call me to. Its only about $30usd a year. If the kids tie up the lines I just jump on skype and make my calls. Nothing evil about that. Heck, Vonage charges that price per month.

It's pretty obvious that technically, the maemo version of Skype could be made to run on the Pandora. Some have asked about the legalities. If you go to skype's download section you'll see that the maemo version is freely downloadable, I don't recall seeing anything about 'thou shalt only run this on thy Nokia'. Skype makes their money from people calling landlines from the software, not from selling the software. In any case it's just to ask them.

As for evil/not evil, I use Skype because it gives me a good deal for that landline calling, and they have deals with more countries than the competition (the last time I checked, at any rate). In any case the whole telecom scene looks pretty proprietary to me.

I also know that Skype works pretty well with firewalls, which may not be the case with all the competition. But for what it's worth I would personally prefer an open protocol. As I use Skype more for landline calls than Skype-to-Skype I'm not so much bound by Skype's arguably large user base, so just give me an open-protocol option that is a) as good as Skype in firewall penetration, b) as good as Skype w.r.t. deals with landline providers, c) as cheap d) as easy to install and use. Then I'll switch in a hearthbeat.

disjfa said:
Still. Skype is a closed source protocol. Why would anyone in the world want a handheld based on open source want a closed source progam. Listen to PoisenedV! Think people!
Why would anyone with a computer with an open-source OS (Linux/BSD) want a closed-source program? This question and yours is answered simply by this: because we want to. Think, disjfa!

Also, I doubt that the company that owns Skype will bother making an ARM version if there isn't one already. There probably aren't enough profits to be reaped from an ARM port of Skype. I may be very wrong, of course.

Skype on ARM exists and I think this discussion is a bit old to resurrect(more than a month) :wink:

Yes, skype will probably make it on the pandora. I personally do not use SKYPE, not because it's not open-source, but because it has a closed system; just try to contact someone on another VOIP network. I use Gizmo, because it does use open standards; yes, it does have a smaller user base, but I've gotten my friends to switch. If you just try VOIP SOFTWARE THAT USE OPEN-STANDARDS, more people would fallow. I just can't stand people that won't use software because it has a small user base- your not helping. If you have friends that won't budge from SKYPE, you may be better off without them

jpenguin said:
If you have friends that won't budge from SKYPE, you may be better off without them
You pick your friends based on how much they want to fix what's not broken?

Back