Skype on Pandora

Has been discussed. In summary: it's closed-source software. Therefore, no one can do the port except for the developers of Skype. There was some speculation about making the Maemo version run on Pandora, but that won't be easy and no one's tried yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think our best bet is the Maemo version, I'm trying to write a script (due to the legal problems involved) that auto-puzzles things together, but its quite difficult finding some of the required dependencies...

and a phone version ? don't exist on jar format or something like ?
Heyz~

Did that guy from that other forum reply to your pm?
You tell me about pandora to sell ? Yes he contact me, we speak about details, prices, etc... :) thanks for the tips

For the topic,

http://www.skype.com/intl/en/get-skype/on-your-mobile/download/skype-for-android/

Android, is linux based ? (i'm not strong about all that think, perhaps i'm all wrong)

And, android it's for phone, if phone have architecture like pandora (arm based), perhaps, skype android can be run on linux based system ?

Android uses a Java Virtual Machine, a special one at that... sadly - the Android apps won't run like normal Java Apps. :(

I'm trying to puzzle things together still for the Maemo version, but this is more difficult than I believed it would be...

I think the easiest way for this to work would be a Nokia N810 Tablet user, installing skype for us and then dumping his root filesystem for us... cause some of the libs are only available on a Maemo Image... not in the normal repositories... :angry:

There are a couple of Skype-gateways for xmpp(jabber). (This one f.ex.) That runs the Skype-client (one per user) on some other machine, and allows any jabber-client to use skype.

As for the meamo-version: if i'm not mistaken, that one's been fully integrated into meamo, so that'll probably mean taking along half of meamo... In that case, you could just as well put meamo in a chroot, and be done with it...

Android-software needs the Dalvik-vm to run, which in turn needs a modified (basically forked) kernel to run. Either someone makes a Dalvik-on-X11 which can run on a normal linux, or you'll have to pretty much put Android on your Pandora...

About Skype being integrated into Maemo, this isn't entirely true...

All devices, up to N810 WiMax (Tablet) use a totally independant ARM version of Skype which isn't integrated into the Maemo OS itself.

Only starting with Maemo 5 Skype got integrated, the Maemo 4.1.2 Version of Skype is very much independant, it's just a big pain to puzzle the necessary dependencies / libraries. :rolleyes:

As I said, the easiest way to get it all covered and immediate access to the necessary libraries, would be for a N810 user to dump their root for us. :rolleyes:

I mean does it have to be Skype specifically? If that's the case, they are working on an open source Linux version but there's no expected release date.
I second this. A lot of people say they want Skype when they really mean they want VoIP. Does it have to be Skype, or do you just want to make telephone calls over the internet?

I mean does it have to be Skype specifically? If that's the case, they are working on an open source Linux version but there's no expected release date.
I second this. A lot of people say they want Skype when they really mean they want VoIP. Does it have to be Skype, or do you just want to make telephone calls over the internet?

It must be what your peers are using. Which happens to be Skype most of the time... Trying to make (all of) them adopt something else is non-trivial to say the least...

It's also one of the main reasons we're still using POTS (normal telephony)...

It must be what your peers are using. Which happens to be Skype most of the time... Trying to make (all of) them adopt something else is non-trivial to say the least...

It's also one of the main reasons we're still using POTS (normal telephony)...
Sad but true...

Back