Slow WiFi & Nub Problem

Can't seem to get WiFi speed to download faster than 30-40kb/s which is horrendous. Running hotfix 5. Also the right nub seems to have an issue where it "clicks" in certain positions instead of being smooth movement.

Could be related to the WiFi problem, in VLC I want to open a URL blahblahblah.blah.avi and I get an error message on the pandora, tells me to look at the log, where is the log for VLC?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't seem to get WiFi speed to download faster than 30-40kb/s which is horrendous. Running hotfix 5. Also the right nub seems to have an issue where it "clicks" in certain positions instead of being smooth movement.

Could be related to the WiFi problem, in VLC I want to open a URL blahblahblah.blah.avi and I get an error message on the pandora, tells me to look at the log, where is the log for VLC?

For the nub: press the case around the nub down a bit, it seems the nub is hitting the case.

For WiFi: Try using a different channel on your router or try to use a different router.

I also remember some ancient encryption slows it down a lot, so use WEP or WPA1/2.

I also remember some ancient encryption slows it down a lot, so use WEP or WPA1/2.
As a test, you may want to remove the encryption completely, just temporarily to see if it improves things. We can work from there.

The router does make a difference, too, for reasons I do not understand. My old router, faithful companion in my internet needs for years, finally went to that glorious network in the sky just a few months ago. My laptops and other devices had no problem reaching 2MB/s transfer speed on a good day with that router, nearly max theoretical speed; my Pandora kept 300KB/s. A lot faster than yours, surely, but not nearly as good as it could be. I simply accepted that my Pandora would not go any faster.

Then I had to replace it with a new and shiny router. Suddenly I'm getting 600KB/s, with spikes to 900. That's much more in line with what the chip is capable of.

So yeah, the moral of the story is that, for some reason, all other things being equal, the router may just not want to play nice with the Pandora (or vice versa).

Thank you guys, I tried it with my router at home and router up at school, and I had the same issue. Router @ home has no encryption, up here it is WPA2....And I had a refurbished pandora for awhile and eventually I remember 300-500kb/s was not a problem on the same routers.

Also any ideas on VLC?

And thanks ED for the tip on the nubs, going to try and tighten the screws to make sure everything is in place!

Two days in a row, I have turned on my Pandora to find the Pandora button missing, and it seems like it did not charge overnight as I had expected. I know how to replace the Pandora button, but I find it very strange it keeps disappearing...

thanks for the replies everyone. the previously mentioned nub issue seems to be gone! however wifi seems to be giving me a headache, i was trying to download a 100mb pnd and at first it was downloading at 50kbs but then i came back a little while later and it was at 7 kbs! surely something must be wrong. also i have gotten a few fail to mount pnd error messages for things on the nand and sd. lastly i still cant open streams through vlc or mplayer, this may be due to the wifi issue though...thanks again everyone for your help

cj

you need quite a bit of luck to get a router that like the pandy internal wifi as far as i can tell.

hell, even with 2 identical router, 1 worked at 400kb/sec other couldnt even get 50 ><.

heres my little story. I have 2 dir-815, long story short, i bought a new one thinking i had lost my old one when moving... till i found it in one of the box >< lol.

my newest one, refuse to get any kind of speed with the pandora, (default setting and no encryption on the wifi for testing purposes), my oldest one on the other hand, get 400kb and peak at 1mb but unfortunatly, the pandora seem to lose connection in less than 10mins of downloading on it...

in the end, i bought a linksys ae1000 since anyway, im on an 802.11N and 802.11g just isnt able to use all my internet connection >< (50mb/sec internet connection, but with the noise, collisions etc, the 54mb wifi end up being about 20mb/secs on 802.11g), and now am able to download at 5mb/sec stable (thats pretty much the speed my sd card get on pandy XD)

i just dont see the router as the problem as my old refurb pandora was able to get good speeds. also i have tried this pandora on 3 different routers. any thoughts on the .pnd issues ??? and it is not a problem with my isp because i get almost 2MB/s on my other devices

this notion scares me, would i have to do anything with what is on my sd card, or can i use a different one for flashing, and put in my sd card with all my games and apps. if i remember the process correctly, i download the img (hotfix 5 yes?) and flash from sd card???

thank you guys. i love my pandora even with these issues...

here is the error report, or one of them "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /usr/pandora/apps//op_cpuspeed.pnd -e op_cpuspeed.sh -b op_cpuspeed

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

losetup: could not find any free loop device

usedminor 3

freeminor 4

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

mount: Cannot allocate memory

The PND File-system is not mounted ! - Union wont work anyway

The Union File-system is not mounted !"

Don't be scared, mate! Pandora is unbrickable!!!

Anyway, it's easy peasy Japanesey!

EvilDragon said:
Easy: Download the zipped image and extract the full contents onto the root of your SD Card.

Put the SD Card into slot 1 (the left one), switch on the Pandora while holding the R-Shoulder button and select "boot from SD1:1"

The flashing process should start. After it's finished, reboot the unit.

The first boot will take a while (up to 10 minutes). Patiently wait and you'll be greeted with the First Boot Wizard.

one more "sudo /usr/pandora/scripts/pnd_run.sh -m -p /usr/pandora/apps//op_cpuspeed.pnd -e op_cpuspeed.sh -b op_cpuspeed

not mounted on loop yet, doing so

LoopMountedon:

losetup: could not find any free loop device

usedminor 3

freeminor 4

Filetype is Squashfs

Mounting PND (mount -t squashfs) :

mount: Cannot allocate memory

The PND File-system is not mounted ! - Union wont work anyway

The Union File-system is not mounted !

"

this notion scares me, would i have to do anything with what is on my sd card, or can i use a different one for flashing, and put in my sd card with all my games and apps. if i remember the process correctly, i download the img (hotfix 5 yes?) and flash from sd card???
1. Like I said in my previous post, don't be scared.

2. No you don't. Just use another card if you want.

3. Yes, as per instructions (from EvilDragon) in my previous post.

About the PNDs failing to mount: That is a bug with the version of pnd_run.sh that is installed with/by Hotfix 5. Try installing the one from here (it's packed in a PND that will back up the old one and replace it with the new one for you) - this fixed that issue for me.

Is notaz's driver not the one in HF5? and I am going to install that .pnd Prometheus thank you for posting that!

Back