Nub problems!

KrazyKain

Still Fresh
It seems as though the nubs are not all that great because the forums are full of nub related posts... I'm afraid i have to add my own...

My left nub has just lost half its range of motion, no matter how long I do the 'nub dance' on it, this never changes... the input tester does not register up, infact sometimes up just makes it go down...

I've tried doing the nub dance on start up... it seemed to work once, but now it just wont.. the left nub seems to have been rendered completely useless and I can't think of any other ways to fix it...

if it is a calibration problem... you think we can get a dedicated calibrator on the next hotfix rather then have them recalibrate dynamically, because that just seems to cause more problems then anything...

note: very little of my pandora usage really does require the nubs but I'd like to not have to rely on the touchscreen on mouse based programs... and it'd be nice to play Super Geometry dust again.. but otherwise I still love my pandy

edit: by the way, this might be coincidence, but It happened after I ran gpFCE-GP2X, the nes emulator

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to cover all bases: Have you shut down the Pandora, and removed the battery for ten to twenty minutes? This may help. Of course, it may not, either, but it's worth a try. :p

Just to cover all bases: Have you shut down the Pandora, and removed the battery for ten to twenty minutes? This may help. Of course, it may not, either, but it's worth a try. :p

remove battery.. no I have not... will report back in a few mins

I've tried doing the nub dance on start up... it seemed to work once, but now it just wont.. the left nub seems to have been rendered completely useless and I can't think of any other ways to fix it...

if it is a calibration problem... you think we can get a dedicated calibrator on the next hotfix rather then have them recalibrate dynamically, because that just seems to cause more problems then anything...

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't moving the nubs during bootup is a bad idea? It certainly messed up mine, once.

2. I agree, a dedicated calibrator would be a good option, if it's possible. Dynamic calibration seems problematic: I was playing super geometry dust for quite a while, then suddenly I lost most of the range on left nub/left, and lost the game.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't moving the nubs during bootup is a bad idea? It certainly messed up mine, once.

2. I agree, a dedicated calibrator would be a good option, if it's possible. Dynamic calibration seems problematic: I was playing super geometry dust for quite a while, then suddenly I lost most of the range on left nub/left, and lost the game.
not sure about that, but someone said it worked for them so I tried it. Also, removing the battery did not help

not sure about that, but someone said it worked for them so I tried it. Also, removing the battery did not help

If you consider the N64 days, if you powered on the machine with the analogue stick in held "up", that would be calibrated as "centre" and you could only move "down". So it could possibly have an effect

This isn't the N64 days, the nubs are a little more intelligent in the Pandora. Unfortunately they're too intelligent to be told what to do sometimes, but not so intelligent that we can correct them.

They're the teenagers of hardware.

This isn't the N64 days, the nubs are a little more intelligent in the Pandora. Unfortunately they're too intelligent to be told what to do sometimes, but not so intelligent that we can correct them.

They're the teenagers of hardware.
With acne apparently :rolleyes:

Unfortunately they're too intelligent to be told what to do sometimes, but not so intelligent that we can correct them.

Very apt statement. :)

Mine are working perfectly now, but my right nub was giving me big headaches a few days ago.

Had to pop the battery out not once but *twice* after trying everything else.

I was convinced I was going to have to RMA for a while.

It would be lovely if we had the option to 'lock' or 'save' the nubs in a good calibration.

But as you say they're probably too 'intelligent' to let you do that. :)

Unfortunately they're too intelligent to be told what to do sometimes, but not so intelligent that we can correct them.

Very apt statement. :)

Mine are working perfectly now, but my right nub was giving me big headaches a few days ago.

Had to pop the battery out not once but *twice* after trying everything else.

I was convinced I was going to have to RMA for a while.

It would be lovely if we had the option to 'lock' or 'save' the nubs in a good calibration.

But as you say they're probably too 'intelligent' to let you do that. :)
I so disagree.

Intelligence is a human trait.

A computer's circuitry is built to react objectively given a specific command.

That reaction to the command solely depends on how the circuitry is configured.

There are no subjective or creative interpretations here. No intelligence involved.

Please let's not get carried away here ;)

Last edited:
There are no subjective or creative interpretations here. No intelligence involved.

Perhaps 'intelligent' may not have been the best choice of words - but I'll defer to the pros like WizardStan on this one. They know heaps more than I do. :)

I'm sure he can explain for more succinctly why he chose such a term to describe the nubs.

I've been forced to switch the left and right nubs so I can move the mouse with the right and click with the left,I can live with having to move twice really fast in order to double click

A little off-topic...why is it that the 3DS analogue nub is, imo the best ever nub to have ever graced this planet Earth?

Probably because Nintendo spent more money on developing just one nub than we had for the whole Pandora development :)

Nintendo always had good gaming controls, though.

A little off-topic...why is it that the 3DS analogue nub is, imo the best ever nub to have ever graced this planet Earth?

Probably because Nintendo spent more money on developing just one nub than we had for the whole Pandora development :)

Nintendo always had good gaming controls, though.
I agree with you both.

The 3DS nub is awesome, but I would imagine a lot of R&D went into it's developement. I will also say the Pandora nubs are damn good, and only second to the 3DS in handheld analog controls IMPO.

It sucks that the team has had so many problems with them(first company going belly up, bad tolerance levels, calibration issues, ect), but I find them to be very comfortable and a real pleasure to use. A real accomplishment coming from such a small project with limited funds and resources. The team should feel very proud about what they have delivered to the market.

I recently hacked my PSP, so I have actually been been using it a lot lately(it's been collecting dust for the last several years), and the Pandora nubs are just so beyond the PSP nub, it's not even funny. The nubs are just one part of what makes the Pandora so special, and you can see how they are a labor of love. A real testiment to the community wants and needs, and how the team delivered something special and cool at a great loss to the businesses accounts, but well worth the effort.

It took a billion dollar company like Nintendo to produce something better, I only wish they had put as much thought into a better battery, as that sucks ASS! Oh well, I guess we can never have it all! :p

Chris

Back