Small GINGE update

Levi: Alrighty, I'll try and get the extra demos I've found/got working into the pack and get them into a proper subcategory later today.

Also, uploaded a pack of ThatOtherPerson's games and such the other night and I highly recommend Super Pixel Jumper, wicked fun game for an extremely simplistic concept :)

And finally, uploaded a new GINGE binary to the repo also, this has the right ufxi in it so that touchscreen is working for ufxi games like Wiztern, FrikiMusic, 2xband and Boomshine!

In general I've spent more time trying to iron out a few issues with runtimes and libs in the past few days, but still can't seem to find the bennugd runtime that likes touchscreen through GINGE... YET... When I do, Apocalypso, Railroad Rampage and Wizimon will be playable and that will pretty much make a general majority of touchscreen based programs running with no effort on end-user's part. The ones left that still don't have touchscreen working properly seem to be ones based around notaz's wm97xx_hack.o and I'm not sure if I can figure it out tbh, but I'll keep trying.

Was waiting for a new release of codeblocks to work on gmenu2x again, but gave up today and started downloading the current one. Unfortunately I seem to be having issues downloading largish files from the repo, so I might have to try a few times before I manage to get it actually downloaded (same reason I haven't bothered trying to catch up on the pandora releases from the past year, need some kinda download client that will detect incomplete downloads as it seems to be a persistent issue for me... that'll teach me for dreaming about a Pandora repo client for pandora/pc but never bothering to make one :p)

Biggest barriers left: RTLD_NEXT issues with older GP2X software (statically linked glibc but everything else dynamic I do believe), some unsupported wiz/gp2x stuff that's causing hangs and segv's (3d libs, unsupported other hardware like t940 in gp2x and other random BS) and things like python/X11/etc. BUT I've been updating the game list so I can tell if something's on both GP2X/wiz or already on Pandora, so that's made a large chunk of the list irrelevant.

Well, nappy time for me I assume just ran outta steam after working 8 hours then spending a couple hours testing and messing around with GINGE (Which really means I spent a couple hours playing GP2X games, not quite a hardship :p)

P.S. sorry for the delay updating the demo pack, got sidetracked by trying to get wiz and caanoo ports upto date, but had to figure out why they were crashing hardcore on me... turns out some of the code doesn't like wiz anymore so I've narrowed down the offending code and am working backwards to replace it with the original code that works while keeping as much as possible that will still work :)

Last edited:
Well, hate to double post but the last one is getting a bit stuffy...

Changed up some libs today and it appears that most if not all previous compatibility is unchanged while getting a handful more wiz games running.

Hopefully will get some spare time to make some more packs and fix up the demo one here soon, but who knows...

Another handful of packs made today,

A. Van Dam pack with his two fenix puzzle games that are simple yet engaging...

Alpha Secret Base's GP2X exclusive titles, you'll ned to underclock heavily for those...

Daid's homebrew and I highly recommend checking out Supersonic Speed in it, nice little game :)

A pack of things that were ported to GP2X by Farox, so essentially other people's games but still some nice little titles I didn't see natively on Pandora...

And finally a pack of Goity's quirky little homebrews ;)

I've made some progress and some regressions lately, but I'll keep the GINGE that I uploaded the other day there until I sort out a handful of weird and get it a little more solid...

A pack of things that were ported to GP2X by Farox, so essentially other people's games but still some nice little titles I didn't see natively on Pandora...

Thanks for package up these gp2x little ports...i should try one day to port natively on Pandora.

Anata and Demos pack don't show up as updates on PNDManager, maybe you forgot to increase the version number?

And i found two games that don't work, Drench and Epic Freefall.

Now is time to enjoy the new updates, ;)

Attachments

• pndrun_ginge_packs_drench.out.txt
    4.1 KB · Views: 230
  • pndrun_ginge_packs_epicfreefal.out.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 193
Another handful of packs made today,

A. Van Dam pack with his two fenix puzzle games that are simple yet engaging...

Alpha Secret Base's GP2X exclusive titles, you'll ned to underclock heavily for those...

Daid's homebrew and I highly recommend checking out Supersonic Speed in it, nice little game :)

And finally a pack of Goity's quirky little homebrews ;)

I've made some progress and some regressions lately, but I'll keep the GINGE that I uploaded the other day there until I sort out a handful of weird and get it a little more solid...

Do you have any ideas to have GINGE throttle these games that run too quickly?

Canseco: Hrm, yeah probably forgot to increment pxml version number for those two... Drench still works for me, so I'm unsure what's going on there for you... might be that I forgot to increment the GINGE version on the last fix too and you have an older version that is broke, any extra info would probably help - What kinda formatted card, does it just go back to gp2xmenu or crash completely, etc. The /bin/sh calls failing are to be expected, notaz advised against me including GP2X binaries as it can create a situation where GINGE can gain root access and trash the system, etc. (same with no terminal which breaks a couple games) and epicfreefall should be a quick fix, looks like it just can't find the binary... (quick check and it seems that its folder is now empty, dunno how it got trashed but I'll upload a new version today).

PokeParadox: I see two potential fixes, one implement the missing timers, which I'm probably not smart enough to do and two, make a little modification to the scripts to set the clockspeed before and after running said games, which I'll look into cause it'd be nice to have them run at the proper speed without having to mess with clockspeed manually.

I'm currently updating a few of the packs to deal with Cansecos issues, please leave feedback as to whether they're fixed here later if you get a chance :)

Last edited:
PXML version and Epic Freefall works again, but Drench still crashes to desktop.

But there's good news, after deleting appdata/ginge_packs/iprice/drench folder, it worked again.

Maybe some file in the appdata folder was corrupted.

Thanks and keep up the good work, ;)

IIRC there's something you can set to set the CPU speed while a PND runs - I forget if it's in the PXML or you have to use an OVR file though. Or you can just run sudo -n /usr/pandora/scripts/op_cpuspeed.sh [desired MHz] - I'm just not sure how to store the current value and restore it before your PND launch script exits.

Looking at that script should gimme a good start, thanks...

Tried setting it in pxml awhile back, turns out it's just a min req.

Ah, yes, a minimum CPU might be what I was thinking of. There's probably somewhere in /sys/class that tells you the current CPU speed, though I've not had a dig yet.

Looks like /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq should return current clockspeed, so I'll just pull it from that, then reset on exit :D Yays!

If you have a text file called cpuspeed in the appdata folder it will clock the Pandora to whatever speed you have listed in the file. I have 200 in mine just for Ginge.

frefol: useful in some situations, but I opted for just nabbing the clockspeed then changing it and resetting it to what it was before in games that need it instead of blanket values for everything.

Also, figured out why Wiz GLBasic games aren't running partially, seems they use a /proc/<PID>/exe to get their location, but the GINGE dynamic scripts use the ld-linux.so that they need to load them therefore making its location the one searched for data where it doesn't exist. I got balloonacy loading but not displaying video onscreen with a simple change of removing the loader in the scripts and using patchelf to change its interpreter to the one in GINGE, now just to sort out the offscreen video I keep getting from these Wiz games :p.

*Also, just me or is my most recent upload of GINGE on the repo broken again? I gotta stop doin that!*

Last edited:
Uploaded a new pack today, a collection of games that I find to be must play GP2X classics...

Also, started adding screenshots to the packs. I'll try and go back and add some screenshots to the old packs when I get the chance.

Still trying to fix up some things to get some more games going, but in general I've come to the realisation that some issues might be beyond my level, so I'll keep trying as hard as I can in my spare time and hopefully I'll get a few more running and GINGE itself will be solid enough for me to just focus on packs and then it's time to focus my energy elsewhere :)

Thanks for your continued work on these ports, Hooka. I do try them out, just because of the way they're organised in my menus I can never be positive I'm actually testing a recently re-released game, or even if it's one of yours half of the time.

Atari_afternoon: Dastardly dungeons is in the ruckage pack...

And I know it can be a bit overwhelming having shittonnes of menu entries but unless someone wants to modify the categories to better suit our need this will have to do for now...

Last edited:
Back