Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

Good news i got dvd with menus to work using dvd from drive and audio cd worked too from file>audio cd.

Yes the vcd don't work as yet as you said with update it will happen,do you have any release date for the next release,i also saw there svcd is in the config screen will that be next release.

There is one more problem it won't play mp3 discs and copy audio cd's,why is it doing that.

Can you set it to first layer for tv out viewing on tv at the moment it works on second layer.

Edit:It can't play mp3,copy audio cd's at all,only plays original audio cd's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

An update (0.0.2.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to latest upstream mplayer2, libav, and smplayer2

- Enabled live555 streaming (using latest library release from live555.com)

- Enabled vcd (Video CD), tv-v4l1, tv-v4l2 (Video4Linux TV interface) support

- Enabled png and jpg out support

- Added HTML Documentation and mplayer2 man page

- smplayer2 or mplayer2 can be now be invoked by passing parameters to pnd_run

Please remove smplayer2 appdata in order to pick up the new default settings.

Hi all,

An update (0.0.2.1) has been uploaded to the repo.

Changes:

- Updated to latest upstream mplayer2, libav, and smplayer2

- Enabled live555 streaming (using latest library release from live555.com)

- Enabled vcd (Video CD), tv-v4l1, tv-v4l2 (Video4Linux TV interface) support

- Enabled png and jpg out support

- Added HTML Documentation and mplayer2 man page

- smplayer2 or mplayer2 can be now be invoked by passing parameters to pnd_run

Please remove smplayer2 appdata in order to pick up the new default settings.
Thank you very much for enabling vcd support now they work perfect,only one problem original worked not copies,this goes to audio cd's aswell,is it suppose to be doing that.

Sorry to ask for clarification Ocean but do you mean that only original VCD/audio CD will work (i.e shop bought ones) and not self made copies of VCD/audioCD?

It should be possible to just run the mpeg files on a Video CD if it isn't recognised as one (which could be for several reasons)?

It should be possible to just run the mpeg files on a Video CD if it isn't recognised as one (which could be for several reasons)?
That is not possible because when you insert the cd into drive it starts to reads the cd and loads for few seconds then stops and keeps on restarting the process automatically.

The mp4 files are not working properly,can you look into this.
its because theyre using mp4 codec. rename the file to .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, or sometimes even .mkv. those are all known codecs that work

That is not possible because when you insert the cd into drive it starts to reads the cd and loads for few seconds then stops and keeps on restarting the process automatically.

TBH that sounds like the discs have either not been 'closed' ('finalised') after burning, or they weren't exact copies of the VCD originals in some specific (directory structure, file/disc naming convention etc) way so the player doesn't see them as VCDs. Try copying an original using a recognised VCD method or disc-at-once copying method, like you would for backing up PS1 discs.

its because theyre using mp4 codec. rename the file to .mpg, .mpeg, .avi, or sometimes even .mkv. those are all known codecs that work

Changing the file extension won't have any effect on the codec it was encoded with (and therefore needs for playback), it'll still be the same codec but now with added confusion for the player ;)

TBH that sounds like the discs have either not been 'closed' ('finalised') after burning, or they weren't exact copies of the VCD originals in some specific (directory structure, file/disc naming convention etc) way so the player doesn't see them as VCDs. Try copying an original using a recognised VCD method or disc-at-once copying method, like you would for backing up PS1 discs.

Changing the file extension won't have any effect on the codec it was encoded with (and therefore needs for playback), it'll still be the same codec but now with added confusion for the player ;)
Originals work perfect it's the copy cd's don't work and checked already the files from the original and then checked they are both the same,vcd will have same files and folders but it will have to be same cd for both.

Does the radio and tv on this player.

Originals work perfect it's the copy cd's don't work and checked already the files from the original and then checked they are both the same,vcd will have same files and folders but it will have to be same cd for both.

That would suggest that the discs were not closed/finalised after burning (which you can confirm & complete with the burning software) or, possibly, that instead of discs made with an exact disc copy method you have discs that were file copied, and the CD-R format used when burning them wasn't the ISO standard that VCDs would normally use. Check the discs properties and compare to an original. If that's the case you can just burn them again with the proper standard.

Does the radio and tv on this player.

Not sure what the question is, but I personally haven't used it for anything but video playback.

Well i can't check the original because i don't have it,i just have the copy.

Te disc was finalised and lid is closed so that's not the case.

About the tv and radio in smplayer if you go to file and on there you will see these 2 options,there are for streaming radio and tv channels.

'Closed' and 'finalised' are the same thing, different burning software can use ether term, it doesn't refer to the physical drive lid!

You don't need to check THE SAME original, check the properties of any original and compare to your copies to see if they are the same ISO standard. If the player plays originals, then you have part of your answer already - there is something wrong with the way the copies were made for them not to be recognised as VCDs. The files can be read as mpeg video files, but the disc itself will not be recognised as a VCD by VCD playback software. VCD copies correctly made should work.

It definitely sounds as if your copies were made by copying the files from a VCD and burning those to a CDR - just like with a PS1 game, this isn't the appropriate method if you want the copy to be recognised as a VCD, you must make a direct disc copy of the original.

See here:

http://forum.videohe...Making-VCD-Copy

Obviously, making a direct disc copy of your non-working copies is not going to work - that would only produce identically incorrect discs. The files on your discs can still be used to recreate a VCD correctly, if you have burning software that supports VCD creation.

Some disc burning software, like some versions of Nero, have a VCD creation option - you can use that to correctly burn a VCD disc using the files on your unplayable ones.

Or you could try copying JUST the mpeg files onto a CDR or flash drive and running them like any other video file that way - so the media player wont try to treat them as an actual VCD.

'Closed' and 'finalised' are the same thing, different burning software can use ether term, it doesn't refer to the physical drive lid!

You don't need to check THE SAME original, check the properties of any original and compare to your copies to see if they are the same ISO standard. If the player plays originals, then you have part of your answer already - there is something wrong with the way the copies were made for them not to be recognised as VCDs. The files can be read as mpeg video files, but the disc itself will not be recognised as a VCD by VCD playback software. VCD copies correctly made should work.

It definitely sounds as if your copies were made by copying the files from a VCD and burning those to a CDR - just like with a PS1 game, this isn't the appropriate method if you want the copy to be recognised as a VCD, you must make a direct disc copy.

See here:

http://forum.videohe...Making-VCD-Copy
You mean by making an iso and then burn that to a cd,do i need video files in there as well which it has 10 small videos first one is call called "MUSIC01.DAT" and so on.

You mean by making an iso and then burn that to a cd.

Of an original VCD that would be the correct method - make a direct disc image and burn that. If you are creating a disc image, it will include all files in that image.

But of your incorrectly created copies, no - the image will be exactly the same as the discs you already have. You would need to copy the files onto your HD and burn them again, using software that understands that it is making a VCD, so it will be correctly done.

When I said your discs may not have been burned with the correct ISO standard, this has nothing to do with making an ISO image - ISO in this case refers to the discs format ( See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660 - VCDs must be ISO9660 Mode 2). Disc burning software allows you to create discs of different standards. Your discs not being the correct ISO standard was one possible reason they dont work.

See my post above and look at the VideoHelp link. VCDs must be burned in a specific way to work correctly. Your burning software will need to have a VCD creation option and you will use all the files that are on your discs, it's almost certain that they were all present on the one they were copied from.

Back