Release smplayer2 / mplayer2

Hi all,

Here is a pnd of mplayer2 and smplayer2. mplayer2 is a fork of the general purpose video player mplayer with some additional development, and smplayer2 is a nice gui frontend for mplayer2.

This build is based on the latest code from git for the respective projects. I added the following:

- omapfb video output driver from openpandora git plus a couple additional bugfixes/hacks

- Latest development versions of libdvdread and libdvdnav - (fixes issues with playing some copy protected dvds)

- Small customizations to default smplayer2 config:

* Make omapfb default video out driver

* Disable audio equalization (used too much cpu)

Any feedback is welcome. Also, I don't have a tv out cable to test but would be interested in knowing if it works.

Repo

Source

smplayer homepage

mplayer2 homepage

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much! I will test it asap! Does it implement any tearing-free solution, like Notaz' SDL for example ?

Edit: just tested it and... wow! Very, very good work! I found everything I could possibly ask of a media player, and even more. Tons of options, all the vids I tested played fine, I didn't spot tearing, all the useful keyindings are already there (aspect ratio, zoom, osd, seeking...). I really think I will use it often, since it seems to work very well.

Thank you very much again for such a great port!

PS: The only improvement I could see is related to zooming. If you zoom a video, there are some green bars around the frames. Maybe it would be better to change this color to black?

Very nice! Use smplayer all the time on my PC so its great to have on Pandora.

Could someone try a video with srt subtitles? Doesnt work for me.

Lobo: I tried SRT files, they work fine. But it seems that by default, subtitles are disabled.

IIRC, you have to press C or V to activate them (and I think it is then saved in the settings, so after that they will be activated by default)

I installed it to desktop and menu but i can't see in any of them.

Why is it doing that.

Make sure you are downloading the whole file.

I have had a few failed downloads that register as complete downloads, but when I look at them they are either a couple of hundred KB or 1 meg or so. I believe the pnd should be about 6.4 meg or there abouts, haven't got my panda with me to see.

My download file was small in kb,which i downloaded with firefox through pandora then i just downloaded it with my pc which showed up on desktop.

The smplayer2 is excellent it plays mp4 files full speed,it works on tv with 2nd layer and works full speed with great sound quality and 3gp videos work with sounds,only player doing that was vlc but now smplayer does it too,vlc and smplayer2 for 3gp videos both are great.

PS: The only improvement I could see is related to zooming. If you zoom a video, there are some green bars around the frames. Maybe it would be better to change this color to black?

I've never used this feature but I did a quick comparison of the zoom behavior between the pandora using omapfb and my laptop using xv, and it appears that proper zooming (or pan-and-scan as referred to by the documentation) is not implemented in the omapfb driver.

Could you explain more what you are trying to achieve with the zoom function? It might be possible to work around this and achieve the same result by using a crop filter.

Could you explain more what you are trying to achieve with the zoom function? It might be possible to work around this and achieve the same result by using a crop filter.

Well to be honest, I'm not trying much. :) I just tested the various hotkeys and spotted this issue. I supposed that if I had a really small video, that I'd like to zoom, maybe this feature would be useful? But as I said earlier, this app is already great as it is, not sure the zooming feature deserves spending a lot of time on it. ;)

My 640x480 h264 based videos still turn into a slideshow

<<<sigh>>>

It looks like we'll never get h264 playback on the Pandora.

Hmm, could you post a sample or more details about this file? You can display the mplayer log by pressing Ctrl-M or under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2. I have quite a few h264 videos I tested encoded at 720x400 and they play perfectly without any frameskip if I overclock to around 800mhz.

Also could you try experimenting with the "Correct PTS" setting? It is located under Options -> Preferences -> Advanced

One thing need to improved is when you watch videos on tv it just goes full screen,it's better if can use other aspect ratio,all of them work on pandora not on tv.

I used original dvd,vcd,audio cd's using external drive none of these work and other formats avi,flv,mp4 work through my external drive,can original cd's work through external drive

One thing need to improved is when you watch videos on tv it just goes full screen,it's better if can use other aspect ratio,all of them work on pandora not on tv.

I used original dvd,vcd,audio cd's using external drive none of these work and other formats avi,flv,mp4 work through my external drive,can original cd's work through external drive

Unfortunately, I can't be of much help regarding tv out since I don't have a cable and can't test. However there are menu options to override the aspect ratio. Do these work?

Also I do not have an external dvd drive to test at the moment. I did however test with success with dvd images- there aren't any obvious reasons I can think of why the external drive would not work.

Could you provide some more information about what kind of errors you get? Also could you provide some information from the mplayer2 log? The mplayer2 log is located under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2

One thing need to improved is when you watch videos on tv it just goes full screen,it's better if can use other aspect ratio,all of them work on pandora not on tv. I used original dvd,vcd,audio cd's using external drive none of these work and other formats avi,flv,mp4 work through my external drive,can original cd's work through external drive
Unfortunately, I can't be of much help regarding tv out since I don't have a cable and can't test. However there are menu options to override the aspect ratio. Do these work? Also I do not have an external dvd drive to test at the moment. I did however test with success with dvd images- there aren't any obvious reasons I can think of why the external drive would not work. Could you provide some more information about what kind of errors you get? Also could you provide some information from the mplayer2 log? The mplayer2 log is located under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2
Dvd original cd's do work,only problem is you can't view dvd menu,just can see video vob files.

2 original dvd cd's don't work at all and shows nothing view logs.

Vcd's don't work,are these types of cd's compatible with this player.

One thing need to improved is when you watch videos on tv it just goes full screen,it's better if can use other aspect ratio,all of them work on pandora not on tv. I used original dvd,vcd,audio cd's using external drive none of these work and other formats avi,flv,mp4 work through my external drive,can original cd's work through external drive
Unfortunately, I can't be of much help regarding tv out since I don't have a cable and can't test. However there are menu options to override the aspect ratio. Do these work? Also I do not have an external dvd drive to test at the moment. I did however test with success with dvd images- there aren't any obvious reasons I can think of why the external drive would not work. Could you provide some more information about what kind of errors you get? Also could you provide some information from the mplayer2 log? The mplayer2 log is located under Options -> View logs -> mplayer2
Dvd original cd's do work,only problem is you can't view dvd menu,just can see video vob files.

2 original dvd cd's don't work at all and shows nothing view logs.

Sorry, I am having a hard time understanding the above with the mixing of the terms dvd and cd.

First thing is that if you want to play a physical DVD, you should be using the menu option File -> DVD from drive. You should not try to open the vob files directly.

Secondly, if you want DVD menus, you need to enable the feature under Options -> Preferences -> Drives -> Enable DVD menus (experimental)

I'll check into the problem with CD audio not working. It might simply not be enabled in the build.

Update: CDDA support is enabled, but VCD is disabled. I'll enable it for the next release.

You are saying from option file menu>dvd from drive everytime i'm selecting dvd from drive it keeps on saying cd/dvd drive is not configured yet,what do i type where it says dvd from drive because it's empty and can't select any drive.

You are saying from option file menu>dvd from drive everytime i'm selecting dvd from drive it keeps on saying cd/dvd drive is not configured yet,what do i type where it says dvd from drive because it's empty and can't select any drive.

Try /dev/dvd

Or if that doesn´t work, open a terminal and type "mount" to find your dvd device

Back