Snes Emulation

andrewe1

Still Fresh
Hello,

Ive been wanting to buy a console of this type since the GP32 came out but I never really got into it, now with the Wiz I thought I would get one, specially since its so small...

However, I care mainly about 2 types of emulation, SNES and NES. As far as I know NES is good but SNES is a bit on the choppy side.

I'm asking this because Ive searched youtube and there are really few videos running Snes games, just give me super mario world, donkey kong country, mario kart and the simpsons games and
im happy.

Ive also been reading a lot about the Dingoo, money is not really an issue when it comes to both but I saw a video someone posted where F-Zero was compared and it ran considerably smoother on the dingoo.
The ABXY buttons look a little better on the dingoo too but Im not sure since Ive not tried either of them.

Another thing that calls my attention is that I was hoping I would see more community activity, at the moment there are very few posts per day... Virtually zero on the dingoo forums. Is this because it just came out???

Finally, I understand there's a TV out on the wiz but no cable is included, will a standard camera AV out cable work? and I remember seeing a video for the white Gp2x where its on a cradle and then
several USB controllers are connected so several people can play... Is this possible with the wiz? through a usb hub or something?

Thanks guys

The dingo forums have only just been created, hence the reason for not many posts.

A standard camera AV out cable will not work on the Wiz, as it only has one GPH-specific connector. You'll need a breakout board and a usb hub to do what your asking.

Squidge posted on May 25 2009 at 07:34 AM said:
The dingo forums have only just been created, hence the reason for not many posts.

A standard camera AV out cable will not work on the Wiz, as it only has one GPH-specific connector. You'll need a breakout board and a usb hub to do what your asking.
So out of the box I can't plug it to the TV or connect a second controller? bummer... at least the dingoo has a standard AV out, Im not sure if its possible to do what Im asking though.

Looking at the online stores I can't even seem to find the wiz av cable...is this coming out later or something?

Last edited by a moderator:
andrewe1 posted on May 25 2009 at 09:38 AM said:
So out of the box I can't plug it to the TV or connect a second controller? bummer... at least the dingoo has a standard AV out, Im not sure if its possible to do what Im asking though.

Looking at the online stores I can't even seem to find the wiz av cable...is this coming out later or something?
GPH didn't confirm a TV-out cable yet I am afraid...

the Dingoo does a pretty good job coming out of the gate. pretty cool 3D support as well. but I dont see the unit peaking to the same level that a GPH product can. Even if its considered a somewhat disapointing machine TO THIS POINT, it still has history and a following. I also cant imagine emulators could be that much better for the dingoo then the Wiz.

NOTE TO ANDREWE1: the reason F-Zero looks so bad on the video you saw is because the emulator is only a port of the GP2X version. its not set to optimum specs. I also agree about the community but like today, their were alot of posts this morning. so really, its on and off but new people should be filling in the ranks all the time. this unit just shipped 10 days ago. people gotta catch up lol

The wiz is about a week old since its launch date , so there is still much room for improvemnt . Ive owned many handhelds and if your looking for a products that matures very quickly then I recommend to you a GPH product like the wiz. Especially with its portability size.

SNES on GP2X was pretty poor when the machine first came out, but it was very good by the end of its life. Wiz should improve over time.

Thanks everyone for the replies... I think im gonna go with the dingoo... Its much cheaper, has standard AV out, buttons look more traditional, and its got 4GB internal vs 1GB on the wiz... Plus it comes in white :p, I like the simple look its got. I think its nice since its completely white, not even a logo on the front.

Thanks guys

I must admit, if you compare reviews of the Dingo and Wiz, the former does seem better. It boots up quicker, has a better menu, a/v and usb/power are on the device rather than being seperate, etc.

Only time will tell which is best at playing emulators however.

I have a Dingoo and a Wiz and I really like the Wiz better. Here's why:

- The Dingoo has tearing too! (only the black ones afaik) And since there's no OpenGL acceleration I don't think that it can be fixed easily.
- It doesn't have volume control buttons
- The plastic feels cheap unlike the Wiz. Also you can see every fingerprint on the black Dingoo.
- It uses microSD cards and I don't have one (they are also more expensive).
- I don't know why, but I can only put files on the Dingoo with Windows. Under Ubuntu nothing happens, but the Wiz works fine in both systems.

Jan-Nik posted on May 25 2009 at 10:44 PM) I have a Dingoo and a Wiz and I really like the Wiz better. Here's why: - The Dingoo has tearing too! (only the black ones afaik) And since there's no OpenGL acceleration I don't think that it can be fixed easily. - It doesn't have volume control buttons - The plastic feels cheap unlike the Wiz. Also you can see every fingerprint on the black Dingoo. - It uses microSD cards and I don't have one (they are also more expensive said:
- I don't know why, but I can only put files on the Dingoo with Windows. Under Ubuntu nothing happens, but the Wiz works fine in both systems.
Well I was going for the white one...apparently not much issues there lol. And about the plastic...well something is bound to feel cheaper when its half the price I guess. MicroSD
isnt really an issue for me, have a bunch of them from cellphones laying around. And I don't use linux :p

Think im gonna go with the dingoo for now, If I don't like it I can always sell it and get a Wiz. The main thing that is looking good for me at the moment is the buttons. I want them to
feel as close as the real thing and that button cross on the Wiz looks sort of crammed.

I wish I could just walk up to a store and try them both, or had the money to order both lol.

Thanks a lot for your help guys

A few things to consider. Some things about the Wiz often overlooked:

1. The Wiz has double the RAM of the Dingoo, 64 mb vs 32 mb for Dingoo.

2. The Wiz uses normal SD cards. While the dingoo has 3 gb more internal fixed storage, they use weird mini SD which is more expensive and lacks the capacity (only up to 8 gb) of regular SD (up to 32 gb) that the WIZ uses. While it may not appear so up front, in the end especially when storage becomes cheaper the Wiz has a big advantage with storage.

3. The screen on the Wiz has a much better viewing angle than Dingoo.

4. The Wiz screen has faster response time (no ghosting), and the contrast and black level are MUCH superior on the WIZ.

5. The Wiz has a user replaceable battery. With the Dingoo you have to try to find a replacement then take apart the unit and solder in a new battery (if you can find it).

6. The Wiz has real 3D acceleration hardware, the Dingoo does not, only software.

7. The Wiz has a touchscreen the Dingoo does not.

DaveC posted on May 26 2009 at 05:48 AM said:
A few things to consider. Some things about the Wiz often overlooked:

1. The Wiz has double the RAM of the Dingoo, 64 mb vs 32 mb for Dingoo.
True, but right now only 40MB of that is available to Linux. The upper memory is usable but it's pretty painful, especially since you have to mmuhack it or it'll be useless.

that the WIZ uses. While it may not appear so up front, in the end especially when storage becomes cheaper the Wiz has a big advantage with storage.
I can't speak for mini-SD, but micro-SD is often even cheaper than full SD (at the lower capacity ranges) and goes up to 16GB. Since the formats are all pin compatible with each other it's easy to convert up a size and micro-SD cards usually come with both mini and full SD adapters.

3. The screen on the Wiz has a much better viewing angle than Dingoo.
Won't deny this one.

DaveC posted on May 26 2009 at 05:48 AM) 4. The Wiz screen has faster response time (no ghosting said:
, and the contrast and black level are MUCH superior on the WIZ.
Won't deny this one, although having not seen the Dingoo I can't say what the response is like. I know that on a typical modern computer LCD there won't be noticeable ghosting at 60Hz, or at least none that I have noticed.

DaveC posted on May 26 2009 at 05:48 AM) 5. The Wiz has a user replaceable battery. With the Dingoo you have to try to find a replacement then take apart the unit and solder in a new battery (if you can find it said:
Is anyone selling replacement batteries for the Wiz? GPH is making them so they must be a custom form factor and might not be cheap or easy to come by. I don't know what Dingoo uses, but on the off chance that it's sold for a cheaper price by a third party then you might be at an advantage, even if you have to solder it yourself (or get someone else to). Not exactly a difficult solder, as far as these things go. I'm not sure how much more work it is to take apart the Dingoo than open the Wiz - surely some, but both do involve unscrewing things.

6. The Wiz has real 3D acceleration hardware, the Dingoo does not, only software.
Won't deny this one, but until it's being used for much substantial it'll be pretty moot. I say this with full knowledge of all manner of cell phones and PDAs that have vastly underutilized 3D hardware. I expect better from Wiz but I wonder how much, really?

7. The Wiz has a touchscreen the Dingoo does not.
Won't deny this one, but unless the "right bulge" is fixed, said touchscreen is going to be almost useless for many kinds of applications.

Yeah about the battery, I saw a video where they took the dingoo apart, didnt look too hard...the only thing is you would have to solder the battery. I don't know much about batteries but it looked like something
pretty standard and not specially designed for the dingoo so I think it might be easier to get one... If I need one, usually whenever the battery starts to die you already have a replacement gadget lol.

Since Im gonna be using it for emulation purposes i think the touchscreen is useless, unless you would emulate the DS which is not possible, I don't see the point other than third party games.

As of "Right now"...the dingoo has better snes emulation apparently, I know the wiz emulator is not optimized but how long will it take for a new one to come out?

anyways, like I said, if I don't like the dingoo Ill just sell it and get a wiz. I already ordered the dingoo from chinavasion.com...seems like a good website.

Cheers

that the WIZ uses. While it may not appear so up front, in the end especially when storage becomes cheaper the Wiz has a big advantage with storage.
I can't speak for mini-SD, but micro-SD is often even cheaper than full SD (at the lower capacity ranges"] and goes up to 16GB. Since the formats are all pin compatible with each other it's easy to convert up a size and micro-SD cards usually come with both mini and full SD adapters.[/quote]MicroSD (Also known as TransFlash (TF)) isn't so rare/wierd and more common then you think.
MicroSD can go as high in storage as normal SD (but atm only 16gb max. is available) and also has SDHC and as fast as regular SD (Hence, it's SD but just smaller)
At this momment MicroSD/TF has a max limmit of 16 gigabyte and 8gb is relative cheap (less then $20 for 8, less then $10 for 4 and less then $5 for 2)

Same goes for MiniSD a.t.m., also prices are very close to each other, depending from store to store.

Most mobile devices use MicroSD/TF, not speaking of the whole DS/DSi scene.

being used for much substantial it'll be pretty moot. I say this with full knowledge of all manner of cell phones and PDAs that have vastly underutilized 3D hardware. I expect better from Wiz but I wonder how much, really?

Won't deny this one, but unless the "right bulge" is fixed, said touchscreen is going to be almost useless for many kinds of applications.
Yes but 40 MB is still more than 32 and the upper memory is still there for some things. So it is still some advantage especially for those big ROMs.

Well if Micro SD come with adapters for SD then that seems like an advantage for Wiz. Wiz can then use regular SD AND micro and mini with an adapter, Dingoo can only use mini and micro (SD too big).

I thought I remember replacement batteries as an accessory for the Wiz. Maybe they aren't available yet. In that case you would be back to opening up the Wiz battery and swapping out the cell like the Dingoo. The only difference is that on the Wiz you can open the battery without messing with (and possibly breaking) the actual unit. I was hoping that extra batteries were available so I could swap out batteries when not near a USB to charge, I heard those screws were not really needed.

Yeah who knows how much 3D will be used. I would probably guess like you, not much. I don't know if emus like PSX can use it or not, or if it will help things like Quake. Who knows though it is still better to have than not I guess.

I wonder what causes that bulge? I suppose things like on-screen keyboards etc can be made to stay out of that area, it is only a few millimeters. I was able to get that area to work, I just had to press harder.

DaveC posted on May 27 2009 at 06:50 AM said:
I wonder what causes that bulge? I suppose things like on-screen keyboards etc can be made to stay out of that area, it is only a few millimeters. I was able to get that area to work, I just had to press harder.
I don't think it's just a few milimeters. I was playing Wiztern and the closer my shots got to the right edge of the screen the more they were off from where I was actually tapping the screen. This was of course after running the touchscreen calibration program. You should try the game and see for yourself.

Exophase posted on May 27 2009 at 04:17 PM said:
DaveC posted on May 27 2009 at 06:50 AM said:
I don't think it's just a few milimeters. I was playing Wiztern and the closer my shots got to the right edge of the screen the more they were off from where I was actually tapping the screen. This was of course after running the touchscreen calibration program. You should try the game and see for yourself.
It's off a different amount for everyone. Also, somehow it seems like the clock speed can affect the touchscreen? I used battery test to underclock to like, 120Mhz, then overclock to 780Mhz, and when I returned to the menu the touchscreen seemed to be calibrated entirely wrong. I wonder if that could affect the screen's sensitivity, or maybe the software is faulty? Also, on the topic of snes emulation where this thread began, overclocking with battery test to 780Mhz (I seem to crash every now and again on 800) brings my FPS in castlevania - Vampire's Kiss from an unplayable 12FPS (during the very beginning of the game, where there's transparent fire in the background) to a perfectly playable 32FPS average, and then the game runs around the high 30's or lower 40's the rest of the time, where it was very close to unplayable before. Also, mario kart is playable =D

So once the code is better optimised for the wiz, you can probably expect to see most games being entirely playable, if not full speed, on the wiz. =D

Back