Snes Emulator Question

Klarth

Still Fresh
I did not tried too hard to find it and i hope asking does not hurt.

Will the snes emulator be able to run the games with special ships that are usually complicated to emulate, such as Far East of Eden Zero and Star Ocean?

Thanks,
Klarth

I'm no expert, and hopefully someone in the know will step up, but with the Pandora's horse power, those games shouldn't be a problem. They mainly just have a extra chip that adds a little bit of processing power for 3-d, and graphic effects, or both. PC's where able to emulate them all eon's ago, so with a little know how, they shouldn't be a problem! I don't believe any footage thus far shows any of those games! I'm personally looking forward to fullspeed Star Fox and Stunt Race FX!

Chris

You mean the Super FX chip?

I would say almost certainly, since my PSP 1000 can run games like Star Fox pretty well (and that used the SFX chip).

WizardStan said:
Tokiopop said:

I would say almost certainly, since my PSP 1000 can run games like Star Fox pretty well (and that used the SFX chip).
There were a few more than the Super FX chip :p
Yeah, there were many! Every game used a differant one, the FX chip was Nintendo own creation, and they changed it for each realese. Many third parties just made there own chips to suit there needs. The Nintendo/Sony playstation would have put an end to all that sillyness! Well at least maybe?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
At least that somewhat justified the cost of the games, a cartridge with hardware in it.
Unlike the cost of other games

The cost of video games today is supposedly due to the high budgets required for the man hours needed to make HD games. Higher Poly counts mean more man hours, HD resolutions mean larger and better looking images for textures and longer rendering hours for HD FMV video. Better audio means licensing more expensive music and more time on audio and SFX production. The price is justified, the problem is simply companies not being able to manage their budgets better to do it all cheaper.

Alpha2 said:
The cost of video games today is supposedly due to the high budgets required for the man hours needed to make HD games. Higher Poly counts mean more man hours, HD resolutions mean larger and better looking images for textures and longer rendering hours for HD FMV video. Better audio means licensing more expensive music and more time on audio and SFX production. The price is justified, the problem is simply companies not being able to manage their budgets better to do it all cheaper.
Or putting too much money into assets and not enough into writers and programmers. Nothing worse than a beautiful looking game that plays like shit, is buggy as hell, and whose storyline is a pile of vomit.

But pretty graphics sells. What's the first encounter a potential buyer has with a game? Screenshots.

Tokiopop said:

I would have to agree with you because on my PSP 1000 I can play star fox around 90% depending on what all is going on in the game. Also Star Ocean runs if not full speed than close to it.

So I would have to say that you shouldn't have any worries about the Pandora running those games. ;)

#1 GameMaster said:
Tokiopop said:

I would have to agree with you because on my PSP 1000 I can play star fox around 90% depending on what all is going on in the game. Also Star Ocean runs if not full speed than close to it.

So I would have to say that you shouldn't have any worries about the Pandora running those games. ;)

I've never experienced portable SNES, I've been holding out on a PSP since I heard about the Pandora. Now I'm wishing I just bought one, especially since you can get the originals for like $80. But at this point there's really no point. But dang, I really need to get my SNES on!

mindlord said:
Alpha2 said:
Or putting too much money into assets and not enough into writers and programmers. Nothing worse than a beautiful looking game that plays like shit, is buggy as hell, and whose storyline is a pile of vomit.

Or in the case of the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, they just tacked $10 on the price for the hell of it. The extra $10 on console games is supposed to cover the licensing costs -_-

Rathum said:
mindlord said:
Alpha2 said:

Or in the case of the PC version of Modern Warfare 2, they just tacked $10 on the price for the hell of it. The extra $10 on console games is supposed to cover the licensing costs -_-

Yeah most often a 60 dollar PS3 or 360 multiplatform game costs 50 for PC, even in the earlier days of multiplatform porting for consoles and PCs PC games would be at least 5 dollars less. I can't imagine pay 60 for a PC game EVER. But then again MW2 is a fairly kickass game, I'd ALMOST argue it's worth the same price even on PC.

Alpha2 said:
Rathum said:
mindlord said:
Alpha2 said:

Yeah most often a 60 dollar PS3 or 360 multiplatform game costs 50 for PC, even in the earlier days of multiplatform porting for consoles and PCs PC games would be at least 5 dollars less. I can't imagine pay 60 for a PC game EVER. But then again MW2 is a fairly kickass game, I'd ALMOST argue it's worth the same price even on PC.

The console version is good, but the PC version is terrible. It's a dumbed down version of the console version (they stripped out most features standard to PC games) and multiplayer had worse lag than the console versions and added in the difference in computer speeds, too.

Also, <6 hours for the campaign is completely unacceptable. At that point, it would have been better if they didn't waste any time on it in the development cycle and fixed issues with the multiplayer.

I think one of the main reasons why they cost more for consoles is piracy. But not in the way that you would think.
AFAIK, you can't pirate games for the PS3 or XBOX360 yet. Therefore people have no alternative but to buy them.
With PC games, if the prices are too high people will just pirate them (which is already happening with our current prices), but I think that the games publishers have figured out that they can afford to raise them.

Well I did say ALMOST. but yeah now that you list the problems (half of which I'd never even heard about) I cant condone that. It's clear they spent more time on the console versions. Though 6 hours might be a short play time it's not the same amount of time it would take everyone to play through it (I think my time was about 10 hours in the end) I'd also submit that MW has some of the most intense single player ever, I say this and I generally HATE FPS games.

But the length of games is subjective. People bought The Bouncer (which was like 6 to 8 hours not counting multiple story paths) in the PS2 days for like for 45 or 50 bucks and got pissed that it wasnt a 20 hour action RPG by square, but they fail to see that at it's core it's just Final Fight (which was at most about 2 hours at a play through), with better graphics and really how much did you pay for a SNES version of that back in the day? Like 35? 40? It's things like this that cause me not to pay much attention to complaints about length these days.

On topic though:
There are several Console Emulators I can't imagine NOT seeing ported to Pandora in the first 6 months. Not counting the computer ones like Amiga and Atari
(some of these are already around of course)
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis/MD/CD
-TG16/Duo
-GB/GBC/GBA
-Neo Geo

Of lesser visibility but hopefully in development quietly:
-Lynx
-Sega Master System/gamegear
-(a few lesser known consoles that I've only briefly enjoyed in the past but cant quite name at the moment but I'm sure other people are hoping for too.)

mindlord said:
Alpha2 said:
Someone posted a link to a report a month or two ago that made me very sick to my stomach. Advertising budget eclipses development budget. I will say differently: the commercials, magazine inserts, and promo material cost more than the game actually took to produce.
I wish I could remember where that article was so I could relink it, because it's good for getting the blood boiling.

Alpha2 said:
There are several Console Emulators I can't imagine NOT seeing ported to Pandora in the first 6 months. Not counting the computer ones like Amiga and Atari
(some of these are already around of course)
-NES
-SNES
-Genesis/MD/CD
-TG16/Duo
-GB/GBC/GBA
-Neo Geo

Of lesser visibility but hopefully in development quietly:
-Lynx
-Sega Master System/gamegear
-(a few lesser known consoles that I've only briefly enjoyed in the past but cant quite name at the moment but I'm sure other people are hoping for too.)
Many things contribute to the Pandora's gaming hype, a lot of it is due to old school emulation and porting. However, the system will shine, for many people for, as a PSX/N64 and maybe a PSP(who knows?) handheld emulator.

I am much excited about SNES, GBA, and those I just mentioned, maybe that's because I'm only 21 and I was a kid in a poor country where videogames were extremely expensive I did not play anything before SNES era on console, actually even VERY little SNES and Sega Master System.

fearofshorts said:
I think one of the main reasons why they cost more for consoles is piracy. But not in the way that you would think.
AFAIK, you can't pirate games for the PS3 or XBOX360 yet. Therefore people have no alternative but to buy them.
With PC games, if the prices are too high people will just pirate them (which is already happening with our current prices), but I think that the games publishers have figured out that they can afford to raise them.

you can pirate on 360, but not on ps3.

Slightly off-topic... but would the SNES emulator(s) for Pandora would have some trouble playing hacked roms? Like the ones you apply an ips patch (released by translation groups) to play japan-only games in english?

Thanks.

Back