Snes Emulators

motorollin

Hi all

Just got my GP2X and looking forward to some retro gaming :D I'm trying to get Donkey Kong Country running under a SNES emulator. I tried SquidgeSNES but it was far too slow, even with the CPU set to 250. I then tried PocketSNES and that was waaaaay too fast. I tried setting frameskip to 0, but then it was too slow. Any hints?

TIA
moto

Thanks Squidge. I have tried auto frameskip in both emulators with various CPU speeds but it still doesn't play at the correct speed :(

Underclock Pocket SNES? Is there a V-Sync setting? (i don't know if this will make a difference ?!)

motorollin said:
Hi all

Just got my GP2X and looking forward to some retro gaming :D I'm trying to get Donkey Kong Country running under a SNES emulator. I tried SquidgeSNES but it was far too slow, even with the CPU set to 250. I then tried PocketSNES and that was waaaaay too fast. I tried setting frameskip to 0, but then it was too slow. Any hints?

TIA
moto

Last edited by a moderator:
Just tried underclocking. The game seems to run at the same speed, it just skips more frames to keep up. If I set it to skip 0 frames then no CPU speed will allow it to run fast enough. I'm wondering whether I'm using a PAL ROM and the emulator is NTSC or vice versa? Would that make a difference? ISTR having a similar problem with XSNES9x on my XBox.

Sorry to hear about your problems, but it is funny to hear people complaining about SNES emulation being too fast :lol:

It seems like it was not too long ago when it was sloooooow! Hope you manage to get it sorted out. DKC1 works fine for me on either one .. Is it possible your processor is acting up going fast & slow? (& i know nothing about the tech side)

The only thing that i can think of with snes emulators left to be fixed is the transparencies, so i dont have to turn the transparencies on and off in game =P :ph34r:

MajorShake said:
The only thing that i can think of with snes emulators left to be fixed is the transparencies, so i dont have to turn the transparencies on and off in game =P :ph34r:
I was just playing Zelda ALTTP on PocketSNES last night ... I saw the rain :)

TelcoLou said:
MajorShake said:
I was just playing Zelda ALTTP on PocketSNES last night ... I saw the rain :)

HAHAHA word right? that was the exact game i was playing lastnight, i was like... damn transparencies, then of course, i want final fantasy 3 4 and 5 to work great! hahaha, oh well ill be patient

Well it turns out it was the PAL ROM I was using. An NTSC version plays at the correct speed - and performance is really good! Does anyone know if it's possible to get PocketSNES to function in PAL to get the timings correct (like Snes9x)?

Cheers
moto

motorollin said:
Well it turns out it was the PAL ROM I was using. An NTSC version plays at the correct speed - and performance is really good! Does anyone know if it's possible to get PocketSNES to function in PAL to get the timings correct (like Snes9x)?

Cheers
moto
I totally second this-- Does anyone know?

Draken said:
I finished FF 3/6, 4 and 5 on pocketsnes just fine, all with transparancies...
well i didnt mean they were unplayable, just slow, of course ill play through even if its slow, but if it wasnt slow, wow id play through 6 times!!!!!!!! ahahaha :p

Back