Snes Superchip Games?

1magus

I was wondering will the Pandora be capable of emulating Superchip games at full speed? This would include games like Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star etc....
The PSP was eventually able to handle a few of these games with frame skip and sound issues but it never really got past those problems.

I'm pretty sure that SNES emulation has been faster than full-speed for quite a long time - I don't believe those are going to present a problem. :)

(Also: Star Fox and Kirby Super Deluxe forever. :p)

I don't even know if it exists for the Wiz. The one on the GP2X certainly allowed MarioRPG to work well though.

craigix said:
I don't even know if it exists for the Wiz. The one on the GP2X certainly allowed MarioRPG to work well though.
Yeah, there was a hack for Mario RPG, but there was never a fix for Starfox, it ran super slow on both. But I still don't think the Pandora should have any problem running any those games. The EMU will just need to be optimized properly, but I'm sure the horse power is there.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
jumpman said:
craigix said:
Yeah, there was a hack for Mario RPG, but there was never a fix for Starfox, it ran super slow on both. But I still don't think the Pandora should have any problem running any those games. The EMU will just need to be optimized properly, but I'm sure the horse power is there.

Chris
I had assumed the same, but I tried Star Fox on a 2.6 GHz Pentium IV recently - maybe someone with fairly low standards would consider it playable, but it was far from full speed (at least with sound). The emulator I used was ZSNES, which is probably the most optimised SNES emulator on x86. I didn't have a chance to test many games, but Super Mario World ran fine (even with sound and HQ2x filter), so I can only think it was the SuperFX emulation that caused the slowdown. Maybe it would run better without sound, I don't know...

Alpha2 said:
strange I remember starfox being pretty playable one Zsnes on a Pentium3 laptop with no issues that I can recall.
Star Fox was the first game I tested, and I thought that didn't seem right either - that PC has some ancient ATI graphics card in it that can probably barely accelerate 2D stuff, which I thought might have been the problem, but since SMW didn't have any issues, I don't see how it could have been a problem with that.

Tom` said:
jumpman said:
craigix said:

Chris
I had assumed the same, but I tried Star Fox on a 2.6 GHz Pentium IV recently - maybe someone with fairly low standards would consider it playable, but it was far from full speed (at least with sound). The emulator I used was ZSNES, which is probably the most optimised SNES emulator on x86. I didn't have a chance to test many games, but Super Mario World ran fine (even with sound and HQ2x filter), so I can only think it was the SuperFX emulation that caused the slowdown. Maybe it would run better without sound, I don't know...

I thought the same thing until I pulled out my real StartFox cart & super nes and saw that the original's frame rate was pretty low.
the emulation was running at the right speed.

Alpha2 said:
strange I remember starfox being pretty playable one Zsnes on a Pentium3 laptop with no issues that I can recall.

I can vouch for this to an even greater extent. Starfox worked fantastic for me with ZSNES on a Windows-98 box with something a bit lower if not equal to power of a Pentium II processor.

Whats funny is that thing worked better than any of my most recent computers.

Well, the normal unoptimized SNES9x build runs fullspeed (even too fast if you disable framelimiting) on the Pandora (at 500 MHz)
No VSync yet, so it stutters with PAL games, but it was just a quick compile.

So, the normal SNES9x with C++ - CPU cores runs fullspeed, I guess an optimized build which uses ARM ASM - CPU Cores (like PocketSNES) should easily run these games fullspeed, too.

Back