Beta Snes9X4D4P - Another New Build, Now With Hi Res And New Rom Picker

Ivanovic said:
Or get the latest pnd where the crash is fixed.
Well yeah, now. I posted the suggestion yesterday when I thought I was the only one with time to look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivanovic said:
* I have the impression that the sound is a little broken every now and then. Especially strange is the sound in Secret of Mana at the beginning with the waterfall. I have changed the default sound setting to '7' instead of '5', no idea if it will help in general with sound or just make things worse...
Is there a way to change this back, out of curiousity? The 5 setting is, if memory serves, for 32KHz audio, the same as the SNES itself outputs. :p

WizardStan said:
quartercast said:
I'm glad they work for you, but they haven't worked in at least in the last two versions for me. Whenever I try and save a state, it just crashes out back to desktop or to pickle launcher for the latest PND.
Press START-R to save, START-L to load. I only said it 9 posts ago :(

I don't count that as "working". I call that a workaround.

Ivanovic said:
Or get the latest pnd where the crash is fixed.

Thanks Ivanovic.

Prometheus said:
Ivanovic said:
* I have the impression that the sound is a little broken every now and then. Especially strange is the sound in Secret of Mana at the beginning with the waterfall. I have changed the default sound setting to '7' instead of '5', no idea if it will help in general with sound or just make things worse...
Is there a way to change this back, out of curiousity? The 5 setting is, if memory serves, for 32KHz audio, the same as the SNES itself outputs. :p

Of couse. Use commandline parameter: "-sq 5"

Btw. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Snes9x#Command_Line_Parameters

But not all options are available.

Shit, I think I did fix some of those issues, but must have not checked that part in; I definatley played through the waterfall bit when testing.

*frak* Sorry about that; I bet that 'beta' that was floating around had the fixes. frak frak frak :(

Thanks Ivanovic for piing up the slack :) I'm focusing on my new wargame so its good to see others throwing their hat in :)

jeff

@SiENcE - Thanks, although I must confess that I have no idea how to do that with a PND, and no idea how to make that permanent. :lol:

SiENcE said:
Prometheus said:
Ivanovic said:

Of couse. Use commandline parameter: "-sq 5"

Btw. http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Snes9x#Command_Line_Parameters

But not all options are available.
This will *not* help with yesterdays binary since the possible buffer values (due to changes in the svn) do differ. In this release these are the possible values:
0, 8192, 11025, 16000, 22050, 29300, 36600, 44000
Yeah, the first is '0', the last is '7' (which is active by default!). I already fixed this in my build to feature the "old" list of rates again. I will upload a pnd with those changes this evening and then it will default to '5' again. This is the new/really old list:
0, 8192, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000

Beside this I made some tiny changes to the display drawing routine that could provide a tiny speedup, though you should not expect anything (only a handful instructions saved, nothing really serious). To really speed things up either some "hardware scaling" would be required (skeeziz estimated some 15% saving doing so some hours in IRC, this is not really planned (yet)) or for even more speedups some arm dynarecs like the one used in pocketsnes. But honestly I don't know how much sense it makes to work on those things when there possibly is pocketsnes doing all this stuff already. The only thing where pocketsnes seems to be worse (at the moment) is sound and this is not perfect in snes9x4p either since the sound code of snes 1.39 (on which snes9x4p is based) ain't the best thing available...

Okay, uploaded the fixed version with sound by default now again set to 32000. If you want to define own arguments (like eg set the sound level) start the application once (so that the preferences folder is created in $SDCARD_ROOT/pandora/appdata) and add a file named "args.txt" in there. In this file add one line with all the parameters you want. So if you want to set the sound level to 48000Hz, then this would be the content of the file:
-soundquality 7

The new and fixed version should also support cheat files and *might* support network gaming. Cheat files work by placing those snes9x cheat files (don't ask me where to get them or how to create them) in the folder where savestates and srms are stored. The files have to have the same name as the rom (and the savestates) and got to end with ".cht". For network gaming you will have to start a "server" on your normal computer and connect to it with start parameters (those have to be added in the args.txt file). SiENcE told me that the parameters could look like this (depending on the IP of the server and the port used, just drop them in args.txt like mentioned above):
-server 192.168.2.102 -port 6096
Afterwards you will have to select the correct rom (matching the one you opened the server for) in picklelauncher and should be able to control player1. Currently it is not possible to control a different player and setup via some nifty ingame interface won't work either.

^ Thankyou for your work. :) I take it that the download link is the same as the one from a few posts ago?

Prometheus said:
^ Thankyou for your work. :) I take it that the download link is the same as the one from a few posts ago?
Yeah, that is the "official" archive entry and I try to keep it up to date. You will see the filename/version number displayed change with each version. Sometimes it might take some hours until the newly uploaded file is accepted in the archive since files have to be approved by hand by ED.

Okay, another update, likely the last for at least some more days (honestly I am rather satisfied with what is there).
Changes in v20101027:
* Center the screen when playing a HiRes game (eg Secret of Mana).
* Implement 3x2 display mode for HiRes games.

Known bugs:
* The menu does look a little strange every now and then, especially when switching between 3x2 and 2x2 mode.
* There is no way (yet) to save preferences for the display mode.

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

In case you want to build it yourself:
1) Eetup an sdk, can't help you too much with this...
2) Get the latest checkout of snes9x sdl using this command. You can get the url to the repo either by asking me or SiENcE or by looking at the README shipped in the pnd.
3) Switch into the newly created folder with the svn checkout.
4) Edit 'Makefile.pandora' and adjust TOOLCHAINDIR to reflect the folder where your toolchain is.
5a) Build the binary (not a pnd in itself, just a plain binary):
make -f Makefile.pandora
5b) Build the binary and package it as pnd including all the nifty stuff like eg picklelauncher:
make -f Makefile.pandora pnd

Any help with working on the emulator is welcome. So eg if you want to implement some arm dynarec: please do so!

Any help with working on the emulator is welcome. So eg if you want to implement some arm dynarec: please do so!
Aren't there some asm cores, that can be incorporated, but nobody was able, or had the time to do it?

mcobit said:
Aren't there some asm cores, that can be incorporated, but nobody was able, or had the time to do it?
Feel free to add those! Everything you should need is available.

Ivanovic said:
mcobit said:
Feel free to add those! Everything you should need is available.

I can't do it, only came to my mind as I read your post. maybe someone else can try.

Okay, another update, no really the last one for some time (honestly I am rather satisfied with what is there).
Changes in v20101028:
* All games, no matter if LoRes or HiRes, PAL or NTSC should now be centered horizontally as well as vertically.
* Tiny (really tiny!) performance improvements.

Download:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,63

Back