Snes9x4P question

Could you record the output from your Pandora headphones port and provide it here somewhere?

Is there any good way I could go about doing this? Normally I would just record off of my smartphone, but I don't know if the sound quality would be good enough for you to hear anything.

If you have a PC with a decent soundcard, you would run a headphone jack out of the Pandora to the Line In on the PC, you would likely need a dual 3.5mm cable. Then you'll need some type of software to import the recording.

is there any way to get the "FX Chip" games working with this emulator, i've been having issues with both Vortex & Starwing. They seem to load then crash.

Hmm I've had no issues with Starfox which also uses the FX chip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starwing is what Starfox was called in UK/Europe, on the basis that you've had no issues i'll find my old cartridges and make a new rom image, maybe thats the issue

Really? Has it been fixed? All games should run but Starfox ran the FX chip at half clock speed which I had assumed the version of SNES9x that was appropriated didn't do correctly, resulting in it running about twice as fast as it should. At least that is the way it was when I first tried it so long ago. Is that not the case anymore? I will have to try again, might even finish it this time.

it's a very tough game if you want to complete all the routes, Good Luck! i hope i can get it running myself...

Just a lil update for you re: FX chip games, i got Starwing (Starfox) running ok with a new rom from my cartridge, it's running a lil slow if anything (perhaps i need to overclock). Still no joy with Vortex, it loads but crashes before the game's title screen :(

I've just received my Pandora and I've noticed that the sound effects and music from Snes9x4P sound a little different to what I'm accustomed to hearing through my TV.

Music and everything else is perfect. So I think it might just be SNES sound emulation being a bit off.

Some sound effects just seem to be more overpowering or slightly "bleepy" compared to what I'm used to.

Though it might be that what I'm used to is coming from rubbish TV speakers and actually Snes9x4P + the Pandora's awesome sound hardware has got it spot on!

I have also noticed that Starwing is slightly laggy.

Looking in the appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/config.txt file, there's a setting called cpu_clock with a value of 300 but I believe this config.txt file is not specifically for snes9x4P settings but for the GUI wrapper. So I don't know if snes9x4P is actually restricted by that setting or whether it just uses whatever CPU resources are available to it.

I've got a few questions about snes9x4P settings in general..

Is it possible to have all roms default to display_mode= HW: Fullscreen ?

I'd like to change the location that the .srm save data files are loaded from and saved to to be the same as the directory the rom was loaded from, rather than in pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/.snes96_snapshots

Is that possible?

Anyone know if zsnes saved states are compatible with snes9x4P?

The file extensions are different, zsnes are .zst, .z10, .z11, ..., .zN and snes9x4P appear to be .s00 alongside a compressed .000 file.

Cheers, B

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, some points that came up with questions regarding what will work and what will not work:

1. Games with the FX chip will not work (perfectly). That you are seeing games run rather slowish is caused by a bug in the SNES9x version on which this emulator was built upon.
  2. There might be some audio issues which is also related to the SNES9x version on which this emulator was built upon. The sound is not perfect but IMO "good enough" for most cases. For some games you'll have to manually activate the different sound system, an example for this is Secret of Mana. With the alternative sound it works really nicely. If there is a way for automatic detection I don't know how so the user has to do it manually.
  3. Switching the renderer as default for all roms is not possible. Though you can get yourself the sourcecode and just alter the stuff in there, recompile and voila, done (of course it needs an SDK so that you can compile for the pandora).
  4. The same regarding the folder with the save data.
  5. No, ZSNES and SNES9x are not compatible. If you were using SNES9x on your PC it should be possible to copy over savestates though. What is always possible is to copy over "real" savegames. They should be 100% identical for both emulators (those .srm files) but I won't guarantee this either.
In case you are asking why I used this by now ancient version of SNES as basis: this emulator is based on the Dingoo port of SNES9x by SiENcE. We tried to get a more recent version of SNES9x working as basis but stumbled over some problems. One thing is that the SNES9x team changed the way audio works resulting in significantly higher CPU usage making it no longer suitable for lower end embedded hardware (yes, under this I also count the 600MHz default of the Pandora!). You could try SNESDroid for Android (this one is supposed to be built upon a more recent SNES9x which, as stated in the description, will be slower) using the android wrappers to test if this works "good enough" but I fear it won't be okay for most games.

So yes, there is a reason for a lot of the stuff. In case you want to help improve the existing emulator, feel free to have a look at the Snes9x4P sourcecode at github.com.

I hope this post explains some things.

I've just received my Pandora and I've noticed that the sound effects and music from Snes9x4P sound a little different to what I'm accustomed to hearing through my TV.

Music and everything else is perfect. So I think it might just be SNES sound emulation being a bit off.

Some sound effects just seem to be more overpowering or slightly "bleepy" compared to what I'm used to.

Though it might be that what I'm used to is coming from rubbish TV speakers and actually Snes9x4P + the Pandora's awesome sound hardware has got it spot on!

I have also noticed that Starwing is slightly laggy.

Looking in the appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/config.txt file, there's a setting called cpu_clock with a value of 300 but I believe this config.txt file is not specifically for snes9x4P settings but for the GUI wrapper. So I don't know if snes9x4P is actually restricted by that setting or whether it just uses whatever CPU resources are available to it.

I've got a few questions about snes9x4P settings in general..

Is it possible to have all roms default to display_mode= HW: Fullscreen ?

I'd like to change the location that the .srm save data files are loaded from and saved to to be the same as the directory the rom was loaded from, rather than in pandora/appdata/snes9x.skeezix.alpha/.snes96_snapshots

Is that possible?

Anyone know if zsnes saved states are compatible with snes9x4P?

The file extensions are different, zsnes are .zst, .z10, .z11, ..., .zN and snes9x4P appear to be .s00 alongside a compressed .000 file.

Cheers, B
Your first paragraph pretty much explained the problems that I was having. Except I was experiencing it across all the emulators I tried (PicoDrive, and PCSX Rearmed as well). It wasn't every game mind you, but a good portion of the ones I tried. Can someone confirm that the sound emulation just isn't perfect for these emulators? Believe me, this doesn't bother me as much as I'm probably making it sound. I just want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my unit. :3

(...)Can someone confirm that the sound emulation just isn't perfect for these emulators? Believe me, this doesn't bother me as much as I'm probably making it sound. I just want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my unit. :3
Just read my post and you have the confirmation regarding sound not being perfect (in fact being far from it). Also the alt sample decoding should not be turned on for every rom. Some are better with it, some are worse! In fact the majority should be worse, not better.

(...)Can someone confirm that the sound emulation just isn't perfect for these emulators? Believe me, this doesn't bother me as much as I'm probably making it sound. I just want to make sure that there's nothing wrong with my unit. :3
Just read my post and you have the confirmation regarding sound not being perfect (in fact being far from it). Also the alt sample decoding should not be turned on for every rom. Some are better with it, some are worse! In fact the majority should be worse, not better.
Ok, that's for Snes9x... how about any of the other emulators?

Back