So about the sleep mode...

ZXDunny

Deep avatar
I've been taking the Panda to work, and leaving it in "sleep" mode (one push on the power slider) while it sits in my pocket. After a while I notice that it's getting warm, and lo and behold, the bugger's come back to life again. I've tried setting the power lock switch so that it stays off, but it doesn't. Seems to just turn on at random in my pocket.

Now, when I leave it "off" on the table, it stays off. If I put it in my pocket, it turns on pretty soon. What gives? I was wondering if a shoulder-button press will wake it up or something?

D.

Not experienced this myself, it tends to stay off fine when carried about. The R and L presses will be registering though as will the touchscreen, so you need to enter an app that doesnt use it if you wish to clean the screen with the unit on.

Have you tried locking the switch off to the left fully once you've entered sleep mode and does it still wake up when like that?

Glad you got yours and are liking it btw and your review was very good :)

That seems really weird. There's no real magic or anything about sleep mode, it's really just a hotkey basically. The switch is a "button" to the system which is attached to a script. "If <button> is pushed, run this command" and the command sets it to sleep or brings it back. It should be able to just wake up on its own unless that script is run, and the only way to automatically run that script is by flipping the switch. In earlier firmware, there was a bug with the lid handling code which would turn the LCD back on when the lid was opened even when it was in low power mode: this resulted in a very unresponsive system as the CPU was clocked incredibly slow, so you'd know if this was the case; it would also affect it from sitting on your desk, not just in your pocket.

Try this experiment: turn it completely off and put it in your pocket. Walk around a bit as you did, give it a reasonable time to account for variations, and see if it actually turns itself back on at some point. If it does, you're definitely hitting the switch somehow. It could be as simple as you're squeezing the edge of the case and the switch is closing without actually be flipped.

Every time I take it out of my pocket, it's trying to run Battle Jewels - sitting at the "can I overclock please?" screen. I can see that the screen is on before I open it up, as there's a glow coming from the front of the unit :)

Doesn't do it if I just leave it sitting on the desk, it's every time I put it in my pocket. Seems that the enter or B keys are being pressed somehow. This needs sorting, cos battery life is a worry - it can be down from 100% do 80% in just an hour.

D.

If I put my Pandora in sleep it seems Fo use battery. Hopefully this will get fixed.

It will always use some battery. In the current low-power "sleep" mode, it'll last about 30 hours on a full charge. This can most likely be improved to last a few days. Even completely off, the clock and some memory is still kept powered on, so will still need to be charged every 3 months or so.

Mine will lose about 10% of its power being set to "sleep" all night. I turn it completely off and it doesn't seem to lose any at all. My nubs don't seem to need recalibration at reboot either.

Back