So do you reckon we should use kickstarter...

BTW: I've had a meeting with TI, and it seems the SoC I'd like to use will not be available before mid 2013 (Cortex A15 based).

The technical documentation and samples for the SoC is available before that, so we can start designing everything earlier, but the Pandora 1 still has a long life left :)

Confirmed: Pandora 2 will be finished in 2018. Pre-orders will be taken January, 2013.

I kid, I kid! I suspect we can't realistically expect a Pandora 2 until at least late 2014/early 2015, anyway.

Has anyone noticed how much cooler and more futuristic these 201X dates sound? Awesome!

My bank won't have problems with that massive money coming in, it's more the credit card company and PayPal will cause issues...

So for bank transfers, it would easily work out with my bank.

Looks like UK banks are more suspicious than German banks, never had a problem here.

Are you suggesting we ask customers to all pay via a bank transfer?

The fees for the transfer would be more than the Kickstarter cut!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bank Transfer is the most common payment method in germany, of course it is only cheap here as long everyone transfers within the same group of public banks. Out of their community it really can get expencive I think.

Kickstarter is interesting, I also thought about the possibility of funding the Pandora 2 over this site. But I guess it will be a complex task, you have to offer alot of different funding options, maybe starting from $15 for a T-Shirt and ending above $1000 for directly getting Pandora2 and other stuff you give to the bakers. I still have no clue how the kickstarters do manage all this stuff, sending alot of people the right things, depending of what they've spent, some of the projects there have a dozend different options, this could take ages to manage. ^^"

As fas as I have understood kickstart it is in the responsibility of every project that every preorderer gets what he paid for.

Kickstarter only provides the platform for all that stuff.

As a German resident I would of course prefer to pay by bank transfer.

It is just the easiest and most comfortable way to pay, and it is a payment method, everyone can use.

i don't know how many banks charge to companys, but it will hardly be morre than 5% here in Germany.

A kickstarter project for Open Pandora 2 might also be cool if you provide the right rewards.

Besides of a Pandora preorder for a full price it may also be possible to sell Preorder codes for a certain amount like 50 or 100 dollar, or would be possible to sell the first 20 produced pandoras as premiums for an even higher price.

And how about to provide a strand of hair from ED for for Qadrillion Dollars?

It's also worth considering that a successful or high earning kickstarter campaign gets major publicity.

This could be worth that 9% if every tech website covers the story.

My bank won't have problems with that massive money coming in, it's more the credit card company and PayPal will cause issues...

So for bank transfers, it would easily work out with my bank.

Looks like UK banks are more suspicious than German banks, never had a problem here.

Are you suggesting we ask customers to all pay via a bank transfer?

The fees for the transfer would be more than the Kickstarter cut!

Nope. That's why I mentioned that would only work for European customers.

They don't pay any transfer fees, so within Europe, this would be any problem. But we need to find a good way for international customers :)

The bank transfer I did to OPT (from Canada) way way back when only cost me $20. That's a flat fee, so it would have been the same whether I'd paid $330 or $500. If your bank charges more you are absolutely being ripped off, and you should find a different bank.

I used BoA (evil, evil bank) back in 2008 for my transfer. It cost me $35, but i didn't matter on the amount paid if it was $100 or $5000, itw was $35 either way. I think when I did my investment with ED in November of last year I paid $30 at a different bank, local community owned. Funny thing was they never did this type of transfer before and I had to help them fill out their own papers properly. ED got the money, which was my only concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
My two cents (which, after exchange and fees, are worth approximately 1/5 of a euro)

Kickstarter is good if there's a risk that you won't meet your goal (all-or-nothing). Fee 5% +credit card/3rd party fees

Indiegogo is more flexible, can take-what-you-get or all-or-nothing, with a slightly lower fee.

When it comes down to it, with the production issues sorted out as they are, it wouldn't be an issue for the OP company to follow through with the rewards if they go with take-what-you-get. I certainly appreciate the feasibility of using one of these platforms to reach a broader (read: international) audience, but when it comes down to it, for the consumer there are usually cheaper options (e.g. bank transfer, international money order, etc), and those same options don't require OP paying a third party company 5% or 4% of the take for some website space and some fanfare (if the fundraising is successful).

Back