So... Dwarf fortress? :)

hairface

Still Fresh
I would be suprized if nobody on this forum has heard of dwarf fortress. It's basically a roguelike that you tell little dwarves to dig and build things and ultimately build a fortress.

If there is anyone out there who has played this game, has anyone gotten it to run on the pandora?

i visited this dwarfen fortress once but I hit my head on the way in!!! When consciousness finally seeped back into mine many body I awoke to find myself curiously accosted by several dwarfen ladies!! I shouldn't have but obviously did because some nine months later I was king with more mini me heirs, to an admittedly rather small throne than one could shake the proverbial stick at!! And then it didst dawn upon my admittedly feeble mind.Twas quite a shock! It was I who had the biggest broadsword in all the land!! Twas of such ilk the little ladies had never seen!!!

I've been playing it but it's a bit of a resource hog from what i understand, there are discussions on the dwarf fortress forums about the pandora but they all dismiss it for being underpowered.

If you ever care to join us on IRC. I dare you to mention it to bobbens. He'll tell you everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it running through QEMU. It's bloody slow.

I think it'd be fast enough native, based on the fact it's almost usable through qemu-user.

As far as source:

"I'm sorry, but your friend got the source code on the graphics part as released by Baughn, not Dwarf Fortress itself"

"Dwarf Fortress is not, and probably never will be open source. And I highly doubt your friend has the source unless he is Toady."

Also they dismissed it as underpowered 2 years ago when it was underpowered. You would think the new 1ghz models may have a chance since that's more than most netbooks.

You can always set the world smaller to help things out.

DF is just wonderful.

Get the LazyNewbPack Advanced in case you are younger then 35, should help out. :)

as lunixbochs already said, that friend probably has libgraphics: https://github.com/Baughn/Dwarf-Fortress--libgraphics-

Biggest problem with DF is that it is not open source and it does not have ARM build. If someone would manage to run it in suficient speed via qemu then it would be great. Maybe mixing native libgraphics with non-native DF is possible?

You would think the new 1ghz models may have a chance since that's more than most netbooks.

not sure what you mean, but most (if not all) netbook are more powerfull than a pandora, even the 1Ghz one in term of raw power...

Well a couple years ago I've heard it said several times the Pandora would be too slow to run Android at any reasonable speed..

I've been playing it but it's a bit of a resource hog from what i understand, there are discussions on the dwarf fortress forums about the pandora but they all dismiss it for being underpowered.
I know the game, its like Minecraft but with complex RPG and Story elements and even less graphics. :D

I really wonder what could be a "resource hog" there, Dwarf Fortress don't even HAS actual graphics, it's made out of ASCII stuff. Sounds like very, very bad coding then, the simulation part alone should not eat up that much ressources.

I know the game, its like Minecraft but with complex RPG and Story elements and even less graphics. :D

I really wonder what could be a "resource hog" there, Dwarf Fortress don't even HAS actual graphics, it's made out of ASCII stuff. Sounds like very, very bad coding then, the simulation part alone should not eat up that much ressources.

not sure, but I heard the simulation is many time more complex than the one in minecraft... it's definately not a problem about graphic there :)

looking at this page right now...

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/System_requirements

I really wonder what could be a "resource hog" there, Dwarf Fortress don't even HAS actual graphics, it's made out of ASCII stuff.
No, those are tiles. It is fully graphical, the developer just used simple characters as the sprites. There are packs that replace all the character sprites with full colour versions, if that'd make you feel better.

Regardless, the complexity of graphics ultimately means jack-all for how many resources a program requires. People have written some absolutely stunning demos in 64K, while others have written some really ugly garbage that consumes gigabytes of RAM and slows the system to a crawl. Firefox, with nothing but Kingdom Of Loathing open, will consume upwards of 3GB on my desktop before my session is over, and that's nothing but black and white gif images. Attributing graphics directly with power is a rookie mistake that Sony and Microsoft have been trying to capitalize on for the last 6 years or so.

And despite being lilmited graphics, this thing is doing weather simulations and erosion and so forth.. it is absolutely batshit crazy :)

jeff

Well a couple years ago I've heard it said several times the Pandora would be too slow to run Android at any reasonable speed..

By netbooks I ment netbooks like 4 years ago :) I used to have one and It had about 800mhz. Of course I havent really cared about netbooks since then I haven't really looked into how much the technology has progressed.

By netbooks I ment netbooks like 4 years ago :) I used to have one and It had about 800mhz. Of course I havent really cared about netbooks since then I haven't really looked into how much the technology has progressed.

even the eeePC 700 is more powerfull in raw CPU power, on the graphic side, It's hard to know, It's hard to find information about the crappy GMA900... what is sure is that the poulsbo chipset (for atom) contains an upgraded version of the GPU in the pandora SGX535 vs SGX530 on the pandora...

Back