Release Angband For Pandora!

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Looks like I'm not the only rogue-like nerd around here (mostly nethack for me, in the absence of Dwarf Fortress :)

Still, Angband was requested and is an old favourite of mine, so here goes a first port. Time is super tight for me right now so I cut a few corners, but it plays really well. Read on!

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/pandora.cgi?0,0,0,0,26,94

Or from my server: http://www.codejedi.com/pandora/angband/binaries/Angband312v2.pnd

This is the beta Angband 3.1.2v2 (latest), not the 'stable' branch. I used this version because in both stable and latest branches, the SDL and X11 frontends were wonky, but GTK was working in both; in the stable branch, GTK has very limited features (no GUI configurable font sizes, tile picking, etc.) In the unstable branch, the GTK build lets you have GUI for these things, and supports the Adam Bolt (and other) tile sets (included.)

NOTE: For first upload, uses your home directory on NAND for saves, not SD card. Sorry about that, time is super tight right now, and I ran out. I'll fix this later to write saves to SD!

On first run, I suggest going to View -> Options -> Main Window and setting fonr to Mono 8 or 9 pixels, otherwise you'll be missing some bits off the bottom of your screen.

Let me know how it goes; hope you enjoy!

jeff

The window is too big for the Pandora screen (using XFCE) and there's no way to adjust it that I can see.

I never played this game before. I'm being chased around by a farmer and can't figure out how to get to any sort of dungeon. :lol:

SomeGuy99 said:
The window is too big for the Pandora screen (using XFCE) and there's no way to adjust it that I can see.

I never played this game before. I'm being chased around by a farmer and can't figure out how to get to any sort of dungeon. :lol:

Roguelike games do not display the full screen, just a viewing area.

Look for < or > icons on the screen, they should represent the naviagtion of going up and down in the game.

Go here for help: http://www.thangorodrim.net/help.html

Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeezix,

Have you tried T.O.M.E? Anyway, there is a new TOME engine.

http://tome.te4.org/

Is it possible to port this?

Thanks for any rogue-likes you port :)

Jason

Clyborg said:
SomeGuy99 said:

Roguelike games do not display the full screen, just a viewing area.

Look for < or > icons on the screen, they should represent the naviagtion of going up and down in the game.

Go here for help: http://www.thangorodrim.net/help.html

Jason

No, I mean the actual X window is too big vertically.

Clyborg said:
Have you tried T.O.M.E? Anyway, there is a new TOME engine.

T.O.M.E. is another great one.

Thanks Skeezix for Angbandy goodness on Pandora!

SomeGuy99, if you can figure out the window size issue, stick with the game for a bit, it's worth it if it gets its hooks into you :)

skeezix said:
Looks like I'm not the only rogue-like nerd around here (mostly nethack for me, in the absence of Dwarf Fortress :)

Still, Angband was requested and is an old favourite of mine, so here goes a first port. Time is super tight for me right now so I cut a few corners, but it plays really well.
I love Nethack! Play it only on nethack.alt.org or nethack.unfoog.de via telnet. I'm curios how it is using hjkl for moving on the pandora. I don't know Angband at all by now but will try it for sure as soon as my Pandora arrives, thanks for your work, skeezix! :)

As mentioned above and in the download page ;)

View -> Options -> something.. you can set the font size; the default is 12 point, change it to 9point and it should be fine.

So go chnage it, and no problem :)

I think the saves might be borked right now, will check in a bit. Another few weeks, and I'll be back to normal, but right now time is tight so I'm floitting back and forth between firmware and ports.. probably no time to work on my new games or some projects till routine normalizes again :/

jeff

ToME I'd have to look into; as I recall, its a giant Lua script with some GL dependancies, so I'd have to run it through nanogl or something, so not sure if its 'work' or not, and not much time for getting serious into things right now :(

doh, debuged for awhile - seems like it can save anywhere jsut fine, as long as its not in the pnd-file itself; some weird permission thing its trying to do probably. But if you save to a save-dir or somewhere on your SD, or your NAND homedir, or whatever it works fine. I'll look into it one of these days :)

jeff

ricki said:
I'm curios how it is using hjkl for moving on the pandora.

I've never got used to hjkl - always preferred numeric pad instead. I hope it will be possible to use D-Pad for directions on Pandora.

Morn said:
ricki said:
I'm curios how it is using hjkl for moving on the pandora.

I've never got used to hjkl - always preferred numeric pad instead. I hope it will be possible to use D-Pad for directions on Pandora.

Once you learn vim, hjkl becomes second nature. Although I agree that it would be weird on the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

d-pad works fine in Angband; by default, d-pad maps to cursor keys in most apps.

Pandora's layout is pretty interesting -- on some old Atari ST games, since the ST had a single-button joystick, you had to hit keyboard keys to do certain things even for arcadey joystick games; suddenly we have joystick, mouse and keyboard all accessible instantly, without changing context in your brain much; pretty nifty :)

jeff

Does the D-pad do diagonals well? It's paramount that keypresses not be misinterpreted, since you can get killed from it. Maybe a sort of "diagonal lock" on a would work. (when held down, only diagonals are used)

God Ginrai said:
Once you learn vim, hjkl becomes second nature. Although I agree that it would be weird on the Pandora.

-God Ginrai
I'm using vim on both windows and linux, but c'mon, we're living in 21. century, even vim understands arrow keys :)

Alex777 said:
Does the D-pad do diagonals well? It's paramount that keypresses not be misinterpreted, since you can get killed from it. Maybe a sort of "diagonal lock" on a would work. (when held down, only diagonals are used)
Nice idea. Remember diagonals were pain in the ass while playing nethack on my old HTC C550.

Morn said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
I'm using vim on both windows and linux, but c'mon, we're living in 21. century, even vim understands arrow keys :)

Of course, but they still work slightly different. Besides, the reason that vim uses hjkl is not because of a lack of arrow keys on systems. It's because it keeps with the vim philosophy of staying on home row. It improves productivity a decent bit.

-God Ginrai

Back