So... Dwarf fortress? :)

Sounds like very, very bad coding then, the simulation part alone should not eat up that much ressources.
You would be very wrong. The game tries to simulate just about everything it can. It is a bloody resource hog because of it and I am quite surprised that it is even somewhat playable in qemu.

I read that it simulates full physics, the water in the game can be drained, the map generation has water erode mountains into valleys and the composition of the areas can affect what is there plant and animal wise, I might give this a go on qemu later myself and see how it goes.

Is this level of Simulation Detail actualy needed for the Game? I can imagine to optimize stuff like this in decreasing the ammount of simulated stuff per second, or update the Simulation less "per tick" or something like that. :)

I don't know Dwarf Fortress good enough, so I'm not sure, if these simulation parts important for gameplay.

Yes and no. It is used, especially the water physics. However, a much simpler model would actually work good enough. The author just seems to enjoy simulations.

One can wonder if it really is necessary to track erosion and history per tile. However, I suppose that is what sets the game apart from the rest.

One can wonder if it really is necessary to track erosion and history per tile. However, I suppose that is what sets the game apart from the rest.
Of course it's necessary! Otherwise there wouldn't be epic artifacts like the great monolith, Planepacked!

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone is suggesting to cut out simulation, just to tone down how much of it happens every second. I definitely think this would be a lot more possible when we start looking at Pandora 2.

Back