So Where Are We On The Roadmap

Sure, but as they said, they would be using the first prototypes for the CE/FCC testing. Manufacturing is estimated to take a month, so those approvals should be going on at the same time as manufacturing, and should finish before manufacturing wraps up. At least that seems to be the idea.

I don't like to be negative here or anything: But what if there must be something modified in order get FCC and CE approval?

So I think these test must be made _before_ the final production starts... Imho that's exactly what the CNC'ed case is for.

Asmo said:
Luckily, FCC testing isn't required for "import" items, so however long testing takes, it will not slow down the first batch at all.

If it's made in the US are you sure it can be classified as an 'import' for US buyers?

I think Chip was only refering to the case for that, which is coming from China I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about manufacturing?
As was previously stated, Pandora will be produced in small batches of 400 units each. As there will be roughly 4000 units preodered, it may take a lot of time for the 4000-nd buyer to receive his unit. Is there a manufacturing schedule?

MONVMENTVM said:
I don't like to be negative here or anything: But what if there must be something modified in order get FCC and CE approval?
I'd say that's a fair question. Although, I think that the only reason that it needs FCC testing is because of the Bluetooth/WiFi, and I seriously doubt that there is anything different enough with those radios, or antennae, to cause concern. As far as the CE, I'm not sure what's involved there.

I wouldn't mind hearing from somebody in the know about this. :D

There were already some discussions about FCC/CE here and also on the German board. The Wifi/Bluetooth chip is pre-certified, if I understood that correctly, so getting FCC/CE for the whole device is a lot easier. Basically the whole matter isn't something to overly worry about ;)

_VWV_ said:
What about manufacturing?
As was previously stated, Pandora will be produced in small batches of 400 units each. As there will be roughly 4000 units preodered, it may take a lot of time for the 4000-nd buyer to receive his unit. Is there a manufacturing schedule?
I really wonder if that's still the case. The idea of doing it in batches of 400 or so was first mooted as a way to get production up and running with only comparatively few pre-paid orders as a way of moving ahead with cc payments given the issues they've been having with banking. They are now planning to accept fresh new "first batch" cash-up-front orders for first batch :pandora1: s so if 800 have paid CWO I'd expect the first manufacturing run could well be 800 or more. If 2000 or more of us stump up the CWO payments then I suspect it would make sense to use the cash to fund a larger FIRST first run... and if the whole 4000 get sold out again I'd expect them to make the whole lot as one batch.

Well, I thought 400 is a kind of a compromise between the need to send pandoras as quick as possible and the risk of the first-first run being faulty due to Chinese manufacturing peculiarity. ;)

Oh sorry, I totally spaced your questioned. I got my estimate from this site:
http://www.star-prototype-china.com/#/clea...nses/4522509377

I should have noted here. They mention all the problems with getting acrylic done right, which I don't think the Pandora CNC will be made of, and said to myself, "Well they aren't going to have that problem." But they will have a slight problem with Chinese New Year, so I just said two weeks tops, but if we are lucky they may get it in 7 days from when they ordered.

And on the testing conclusion, since they are not doing stress testing with an external company, I just gave them a week. How much could they honestly do?

I figure they will mess around with it for awhile and make sure it fits, play test it, make sure it feels good in the hands and start manufacturing the big load.

_VWV_ said:
So It's Monday today, isn't it? Was the CNC prototype ordered??
Chip said somewhere that it has been ordered.

Edit:

The main thing we're waiting for is the CNC case (which has been ordered) so we can be absolutely sure that everything fits and is durable.

here

@all
Whilst I'm confident that the schedules discussed so far in this thread are plausible, anyone know what's happening with the final keymats? Would be nice to see the CNC case and final keymats together in a couple of weeks time, just want to know if this is likely.

EvilDragon said:
Verpackung KANN kommen, muss aber nicht :)
Anleitung will ich auf jeden Fall eine machen - und wenn auch im Notfall nur als PDF :)

Geplante Auslieferung ist 4 - 6 Wochen nach Beginn der Massenproduktion, die beginnt, wenn CE und FCC fertig ist, und das beginnt, wenn das Gehäuse endlich da ist :)
Wir versuchen gerade noch, den Chinesen ein wenig in den Hintern zu treten, da durch das chinesische Neujahr natürlich ein bisschen Arbeit liegengeblieben ist und es länger dauert ;)

Wir hoffen aber, dass wir in der nächsten Woche mehr wissen oder das Gehäuse sogar bekommen.
Free Translation said:
[custom]boxing may come, but not necessarily :)
I definitely want to make a manual - even if only as PDF version :)
The planned delivery date is 4-6 weeks after beginning of mass production, that will start after CE and FCC is made, which will be made after the CNC case is available :)
Right now we are trying to hurry on the Chinese producers of the CNC case, because some work has been slowed down by the Chinese New Year;)
We hope we will know more in the next week and maybe even get the case.
Reference Link:CODE
http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?p=79470#p79470
So in short this means April/May.

Back