So... Where do I start?

Sploshi

Still Fresh
I've just upgraded my order to one of the "Get it in 7 working days" ones and I want to pre-download everything before it comes so that when I can get it I can start enjoying it straight away! ^^

I am a bit stuck though because I haven't been very active in this community for a while so I don't not what all the "hot apps" are :p

Basically, was just wondering if people could shout a few ideas at me about which apps, emus and games they reckon I should get for my Pandora :) I know this depends vastly on what I intend to use it for, and I basically just wanna use it for leisure (no brain sweating programming). Kick back, listen to some music, watch a film, play some of my childhood classics (PS1, GBA) and maybe get a bit of homework done on the go (is there some kind of Microsoft Office program for the Pandora?). Oh yeah and probably internet ^^

And yeah, I'm not totally useless, I have found a few of the apps already like the PS1 emulator and the firefox browser, but I've just been looking on the apps.pandora page and I know there are probably others and stuff that I don't know about.

Also I thought it'd be useful for some of you lucky Pandora owners to let me know which apps are actually good (i.e. the ones I should get) and which apps are the ones that are dissapointing (in the nicest way possible xD).

:D

Yeah but the whole point is: there's freaking loads xD

Was just wondering if people could point me to the good ones :rolleyes:

Off of the top of my head, I would recommend the following;

Snes9x4P (SNES emulator)

GPFCE-GP2X (A NES emulator wrapped with GINGE, which is currently the best option for NES emulation - more info you might need is here)

PicoDrive (Mega Drive, Mega CD, Master System, and 32X emulator)

PCSX ReARMed (PSX emulator)

MAME4All (A well-optimised port of MAME, the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator)

MAME 0.106 (A straight port of MAME 0.106 - if you own any CPS2 stuff, to my knowledge this is the best route right now)

These are all just off of the top of my head, though there are plenty more that I highly recommend. However, I'm not sure how relevant some of those recommendations would be, as you mention the PSX and GBA being from your childhood - accordingly, I'm pretty sure some of my recommendations would be from before your time. :lol:

Do make sure to check the PandoraWiki's Games page if you're after games and such, because I'm pretty sure it's the most up-to-date source for everything. Sometimes you find that some stuff on the app-store may be a bit behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do new pandoras need system updates? How do we know if a hotfix, or anything else is needed?

One needs Timidity Midi Installer too, i guess.

Do new pandoras need system updates? How do we know if a hotfix, or anything else is needed?
Good call on mentioning this. To my knowledge they ship without Hotfix 4 applied, so you should grab that and apply it first thing. (There isn't any way of knowing what level the system is updated to yet, unfortunately, but I'm sure this will be sorted out in the future.)

Obviously, if you're sure on the legalities surrounding the Community Codec Pack, you may want that as well.

Good call on mentioning this. To my knowledge they ship without Hotfix 4 applied, so you should grab that and apply it first thing. (There isn't any way of knowing what level the system is updated to yet, unfortunately, but I'm sure this will be sorted out in the future.)

It is shown during system startup as of HF5 RC1.

Afaik, systems still ship with hotfix 3.

*Takes notes*

I better start getting on top of this as well - Pandora should (hopefully) be arriving late this week! I plan to PSX the hell out of this little wonder machine.

[EDIT] Disregard my last. My Pandora arrived today! Not too shabby considering it was international shipping. :)

Back