So who else took today off work (or skived) for the new call of duty

I'm not liking what they've done to the series since Oblivion. I do not have much faith that they've returned to form with Skyrim, and from the 20 minute gameplay vid I saw a couple of days ago, it does look like Oblivion all over again. Ah well, I'm sure they'll get it right one day.
I'm curious to see what they stripped out this time. With every iteration the series becomes more bland in favour of better graphics. E.g. some people complain about generic dialogue in Morrowind, so in Oblivion they all but removed the dialogue (well at least as far as choice is concerned).

One thing I absolute loathe about Skyrim already is the user interface. The console style menu is an absolute immersion killer for me. I want to rummage through a backpack not look at an excel sheet or menu structure.

In some of the gameplay videos Todd Howard was rambling about how the level of detail and graphics in the world was really bringing it to life. I was baffled by that statement. Interaction is what brings a world to life. Oblivion and from the looks of it Skyrim as well, are about the least interactive worlds that you can have. Any direct interaction with the world itself comes from scripted events. Due to this, Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress feel more alive to me than Oblivion or Morrowind ever did.

That said, I still enjoyed Oblivion. It was a decent hack'n slash game, even though I was hoping for an RPG. If Skyrim has a decent Wine compatibility rating then I'll pick it up.

Interaction is what brings a world to life.
And a well-thought-out, well-fleshed-out world. :p (And those come in many forms - Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress definitely fit with that.)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're playing on "Normal" (read: Easy*) mode, then it and Mega Man 10's "Easy" mode are about on level footing, I would say.

If you're playing on "Difficult" (read: Normal*), I don't know what to say. :p

*The original Japanese version does not have the difficulty selector. What's labelled as "Difficult" in the Western release is actually the only mode in the original version.

dont knock it people. the battlefield games are really nice. dont let the COD garbage cloud your brain for the genre

Back