So Why Did I Buy This Caanoo Again?

blindsyde84

Still Fresh
I was very excited when I purchased my Caanoo, thinking it was going to be a great emulator and homebrew system. Now that I have had it for a few months, I am noticing that probably 30% of my GBA games work, about 70% SNES, 80% CPS2, 10% PSX (which really pisses me off), and about 20% of the Genesis games. I have downloaded the latest versions of the emulators from a site using Yoshi's pack. I've had better emulator success on my modded PSP than with this system.

Am I missing something here? I haven't updated the firmware because I heard that it is actually worse for the system. So that should be the same it would be directly out of the box. (1.06 i believe... not sure tho)

Am I missing something? I tweak with the emulator settings and all it does little if anything. I realize its an open source system and all that blah blah blah. But seriously this system is designed for emulation and homebrew... and it can barely do that. So please any assistance you can give me would be great, otherwise I am just going to sell it and get my money back.

So either you dont want to read or you just want to troll, but there is an other topic going on with the same concerns and got good replys :
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/60148-caanoo-or-psp/

tl;dr : it's a matter of dev-force not a matter of device.

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
So either you dont want to read or you just want to troll, but there is an other topic going on with the same concerns and got good replys :

I realize you probably don't give a crap about what I said, but at least get the information correct. I am not looking to compare the benefits of having a PSP vs Caanoo. I OWN BOTH OF THEM. My concerns are the fact that my Caanoo does not do half the stuff it should, and I am looking for a resolution with that.

1)Are there firmware updates for the Caanoo to help with the emulation issues?
2)Are there system tweaks that need to be done for emulators to run properly?
3)Do we have a working list of roms for each emulator posted somewhere in this community? Is is everyone just doing trial and error?
4)Does Final Fantasy PSX emulation work at all on this system? Out of every final fantasy game released for the PSX... I have only gotten FFT to work and it runs so slow it is unplayable.
5)Anyone else having issues such as OhBoy randomly reseting during gameplay(Yoshi's Island, Mario & Luigi, Megaman Battle networks..etc)?

Like I said, I have about 1040 roms on this thing and maybe 150-200 of them actually work on this system. I can put them onto my PC or my PSP and run them fine, so its not the roms.

Hmmm.... I have an insane amount of roms on mine, and other than the PSX ones, most of them work just fine... not sure why you're having so many issues with yours.

blindsyde84 said:
sebt3 said:

I realize you probably don't give a crap about what I said, but at least get the information correct. I am not looking to compare the benefits of having a PSP vs Caanoo. I OWN BOTH OF THEM. My concerns are the fact that my Caanoo does not do half the stuff it should, and I am looking for a resolution with that.

1)Are there firmware updates for the Caanoo to help with the emulation issues?
2)Are there system tweaks that need to be done for emulators to run properly?
3)Do we have a working list of roms for each emulator posted somewhere in this community? Is is everyone just doing trial and error?
4)Does Final Fantasy PSX emulation work at all on this system? Out of every final fantasy game released for the PSX... I have only gotten FFT to work and it runs so slow it is unplayable.
5)Anyone else having issues such as OhBoy randomly reseting during gameplay(Yoshi's Island, Mario & Luigi, Megaman Battle networks..etc)?

Like I said, I have about 1040 roms on this thing and maybe 150-200 of them actually work on this system. I can put them onto my PC or my PSP and run them fine, so its not the roms.

Could it be just an issue with the versions of the emulators I got from openhandhelds.org? Is there another site or pack I can download besides the Yoshi's one? Do I need to update my firmware on my Caanoo?

Rude way to offer some help to someone just asking a few general questions. I have seen youtube videos of this thing running games and stuff abit faster than I have seen blidesydes running.(I am his friends IRL) this is a badass device but even the gba games ran a little slow. he just wants to know what he maybe doing to make it run like this. games that use to work are not working anymore and hes googled everything he could about his issues. that being said are there any special tweaks needed to psx games to make them run? special bios? etc. also cps2 emulation isnt all that great for him. Xmen vs sf worked but was slow. and hung up. were new to this kind of device so thats why were asking. emulation is my passion but even I am stumpped.

Well, I actually downgraded my firmware (can't remember off-hand what revision it is, but it's whatever one is generally thought to provide the best performance.) So I'd say newer firmwares aren't the key. As for emulator versions, I'm pretty sure I'm running all the latest versions.

Only 10-20% of your roms work? Really?

blindsyde84 said:
Could it be just an issue with the versions of the emulators I got from openhandhelds.org? Is there another site or pack I can download besides the Yoshi's one? Do I need to update my firmware on my Caanoo?

In terms of compatibility, PSX games are the worst I'd say. Many don't work.

If he had games that used to work and no longer do, maybe he needs to re-flash his firmware? Or perhaps his rom images have become corrupted somehow? If things have stopped working over time for no reason, that indicates a bigger problem.

Kenshinsama said:
Rude way to offer some help to someone just asking a few general questions. I have seen youtube videos of this thing running games and stuff abit faster than I have seen blidesydes running.(I am his friends IRL) this is a badass device but even the gba games ran a little slow. he just wants to know what he maybe doing to make it run like this. games that use to work are not working anymore and hes googled everything he could about his issues. that being said are there any special tweaks needed to psx games to make them run? special bios? etc. also cps2 emulation isnt all that great for him. Xmen vs sf worked but was slow. and hung up. were new to this kind of device so thats why were asking. emulation is my passion but even I am stumpped.

I do not believe you, all the game i tried with psx4all work not at fullspeed but at playable speed... so all now is caanoo haters?? :blink:

stpat said:
Well, I actually downgraded my firmware (can't remember off-hand what revision it is, but it's whatever one is generally thought to provide the best performance.) So I'd say newer firmwares aren't the key. As for emulator versions, I'm pretty sure I'm running all the latest versions.

Only 10-20% of your roms work? Really?

blindsyde84 said:

Yeah =( I dont know why. Some of the issues dont come up until I am actually in the game. Like for instance Yoshi's Island(GBA, cause SNES version doesn't work), I get to area 2-4 and once I get to the last checkpoint it will restart the game. Same thing happens for Mario & Luigi(gba), Kirby: Amazing Mirror(gba), and quite a few others. With other roms I am getting strange problems like sound corruption, video corruption, slow down, or inability to load at all.

My major emulator errors are with GBA emulation, CPS2 emulation, "some" of SNES emulation, and NES emulation. I'll try to re-download the EMU pack again and see if they have updated versions, its just been a struggle to get this thing to work, even as well as it does now.

kayuz said:
I do not believe you, all the game i tried with psx4all work not at fullspeed but at playable speed... so all now is caanoo haters?? :blink:

Umm ok... let me list them then:

FF7 - not playable due to slowness and graphic corruption
FF8 - will not boot ISO, resets emulator
FF9 - will not boot ISO, resets emulator
FFT - not playable due to slowness and graphic/sound corruption
FF6(Anthologies) - playable but world map is corrupted and its generally a bad port =P
FF5 - don't care because I can play the SNES version
Chrono Trigger - will not boot to game, I get a black screen on launch
Vagrant Story - not playable due to slowdown and sound
Chrono Cross - yea right, this aint never going to play this game.

I can keep going... but yeah... I do not believe YOU.

For the record, I'm not bashing the caanoo, I love it. I was just stating that out of all the emulators I've tried, psx4all was the one I had the most compatibility issues with.

kayuz said:

stpat said:
For the record, I'm not bashing the caanoo, I love it. I was just stating that out of all the emulators I've tried, psx4all was the one I had the most compatibility issues with.

kayuz said:

Yeah I agree... the PSX emulator has the worst success rate for me too. I am going to try Kenshinsama's idea and unzip all of the roms. Maybe its having an issue reading the rom files through the zip folder. It recognizes them fine, but maybe it doesn't like having to unpack it. I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

Kenshinsama said:
Rude way to offer some help to someone just asking a few general questions.
My reply was rude, but his questions wasnt in the nicest form either.
Also I've read a lot of caanoo hate here lately and I dislike that a lot. Your friend post was in the same tone.

I for one would not compare any "opensource friendly" handhelds you will find here with anything commercial : I dont have to hack my device to make it my own.

Many handheld devices developper are doing there thing for fame, so they choose the lastest hyped devices to do their hack. I'm rather sure that devel on PSP is drying and will be completly dead once the vita is out.

The caanoo community have a way smaller developper base, but these dev are doing their hack for the community. These dev tend to stick to their device. I know some dev having a gp2x, a wiz, a caanoo and a pandora that release their work on the 4 plateform. The gp2x still have seen 3 releases last month even if this is a device 2 generations late.

Do you think you'll see PSP developpement when the vita successor will be out since a year ?

In the end of the day, saying those few devs that their work is slow and working badly is not the best way to get them fix your issues. You'ld better be a part of the community and as such report each problems in the right thread

PS: My initial reply (not posted) was just "sell it" : nobody here make a cent on caanoo sells, so we could not care less about the second hand market : we even provide a section dedicated to just that here.

sebt3 said:
Kenshinsama said:
Also I've read a lot of caanoo hate here lately and I dislike that a lot. Your friend post was in the same tone.

I for one would not compare any "opensource friendly" handhelds you will find here with anything commercial : I dont have to hack my device to make it my own.

Many handheld devices developper are doing there thing for fame, so they choose the lastest hyped devices to do their hack. I'm rather sure that devel on PSP is drying and will be completly dead once the vita is out.

The caanoo community have a way smaller developper base, but these dev are doing their hack for the community. These dev tend to stick to their device. I know some dev having a gp2x, a wiz, a caanoo and a pandora that release their work on the 4 plateform. The gp2x still have seen 3 releases last month even if this is a device 2 generations late.

Do you think you'll see PSP developpement when the vita successor will be out since a year ?

In the end of the day, saying those few devs that their work is slow and working badly is not the best way to get them fix your issues. You'ld better be a part of the community and as such report each problems in the right thread

PS: My initial reply (not posted) was just "sell it" : nobody here make a cent on caanoo sells, so we could not care less about the second hand market : we even provide a section dedicated to just that here.

Maybe I just dont understand where in any of your posts have you answered any of my questions? You want to know why you are hearing a lot of Caanoo hate, its because its been out for over a year now, and has little to no progression over the last half a year. There has been minor updates to the emulators and the homebrew is getting games and apps that only other developers would see as useful. I'm not hating on the Caanoo, I want more than anything for this thing to do what it is supposed to do. But instead you give me some fluff about the PSP vs Caanoo... I dont really care what the PSP can do... I have one. I want this EMULATOR/HOMEBREW SYSTEM TO RUN EMULATORS AND HOMEBREW.... wtf is so hard to understand about that?

All I am looking for is some advice on how other people may have gotten passed the emulator issues I am having. The solution to someone asking for help on this device should not be "sell it." Unless you want even less support and even less of a community than you have right now.

and btw, the PSP Vita will be hacked within a month of release, you can guarantee that. And there will still be plenty of support for the older versions of the PSP because of the price and accessibility of the old models. Just like how the PSP 1k,2k,3k,GO all have their own developers and own CFW communities. They are still strong and still producing new things... and it probably has a lot to do with the fact that they don't give answers like how you gave. Sorry if I hurt your feelings if I said I was having issues with my Caanoo and I was pissed about it, it's not your money that just got wasted now is it?

sebt3 said:
Kenshinsama said:

uh I am not trying to start anything at all really, but his tone wasn't nice enough for you? err...he made a comment about his system and yeah it sounds like hes upset about it not working but you would be pissed also if your device started actin up. not one time did he mention anything about psp development or did he really even bad mouth his Cannoo. hes trying to get answers for it so he can enjoy it. if you answer every thread that sounds like this in that mannor I mean its no wonder you keep getting into thread wars with people.

oh and on a another note psp dev is by now already dead save for Coldbird and Virtuousflame who do excellent work for the console (one of which is CFW pro c online which will take ad hoc only games online without the use of xlink kai) which is about all there is now for the psp since there are like 3 games coming out at least stateside. that by the way was one of his pushes to get this system. ending my rant all im saying is the only one doing any negative talk or bashing is you. guy just wanted to make his roms work man not have the great debate about devs and coders -_-

Kenshinsama said:
uh I am not trying to start anything at all really, but his tone wasn't nice enough for you? err...he made a comment about his system and yeah it sounds like hes upset about it not working but you would be pissed also if your device started actin up. not one time did he mention anything about psp development or did he really even bad mouth his Cannoo. hes trying to get answers for it so he can enjoy it. if you answer every thread that sounds like this in that mannor I mean its no wonder you keep getting into thread wars with people.
Ok, what do I find off in his post :
1) the topic title which translate directly in my head into "this system is a shit"
2)
blindsyde84 said:
I realize its an open source system and all that blah blah blah. But seriously this system is designed for emulation and homebrew... and it can barely do that.
which translate into "your values sucks"
3) instead of trying to get the right help in the right place for each the emulator, he created a thread in the general section to get more attention
4) he threaten us to sell his caanoo if we dont reply correctly

blindsyde84 said:
Maybe I just dont understand where in any of your posts have you answered any of my questions? You want to know why you are hearing a lot of Caanoo hate, its because its been out for over a year now, and has little to no progression over the last half a year.
That's the point I was trying to reply : the reason of your anger....

blindsyde84 said:
I want this EMULATOR/HOMEBREW SYSTEM TO RUN EMULATORS AND HOMEBREW.... wtf is so hard to understand about that?
What so hard to understand in my post either : you're behaving like a freaking kid. Even my 12years boy have more respect for other persons than you show here.

You know what ? sell your caanoo. You dont get the point of this scene.
check here : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/forum/20-marketplace/

blindsyde84 said:
I was very excited when I purchased my Caanoo, thinking it was going to be a great emulator and homebrew system. Now that I have had it for a few months, I am noticing that probably 30% of my GBA games work, about 70% SNES, 80% CPS2, 10% PSX (which really pisses me off), and about 20% of the Genesis games. I have downloaded the latest versions of the emulators from a site using Yoshi's pack. I've had better emulator success on my modded PSP than with this system.

Am I missing something here? I haven't updated the firmware because I heard that it is actually worse for the system. So that should be the same it would be directly out of the box. (1.06 i believe... not sure tho)

Am I missing something? I tweak with the emulator settings and all it does little if anything. I realize its an open source system and all that blah blah blah. But seriously this system is designed for emulation and homebrew... and it can barely do that. So please any assistance you can give me would be great, otherwise I am just going to sell it and get my money back.
I haven't had one single problem with any Genesis or GBA game I've played so far, and I've only had trouble with the clayfighter SNES games, but those are problematic in other emulators on other systems, as well. Everything else I've tried works. Have you tried using both Snes9x4c and PocketSNES?

I haven't tried many PS1 games, but I have a few of them working at full speed, or near full speed. (Gex, Resident Evil 2, and Castlevania: SOTN to name a few)

I think that some of your roms may be corrupted, even though they work in other emulators. I had some trouble with ohboy where many of the games didn't work. I copied over new roms, and that fixed my problem. I also remember having problems with some zipped roms. I'd also suggest formatting your SD card (backup first!).

EDIT:

Are you overclocking your system? If you overclock it too much (ie. over 750Mhz), it can crash easily, but it depends on what you're running.

I don't think upgrading your firmware would do any harm; I've upgraded to 1.6.1, and it's faster than 1.6.0.

sebt3 said:
Kenshinsama said:
Ok, what do I find off in his post :
1) the topic title which translate directly in my head into "this system is a shit"
2)
blindsyde84 said:
I realize its an open source system and all that blah blah blah. But seriously this system is designed for emulation and homebrew... and it can barely do that.
which translate into "your values sucks"
3) instead of trying to get the right help in the right place for each the emulator, he created a thread in the general section to get more attention
4) he threaten us to sell his caanoo if we dont reply correctly

blindsyde84 said:
Maybe I just dont understand where in any of your posts have you answered any of my questions? You want to know why you are hearing a lot of Caanoo hate, its because its been out for over a year now, and has little to no progression over the last half a year.
That's the point I was trying to reply : the reason of your anger....

blindsyde84 said:
I want this EMULATOR/HOMEBREW SYSTEM TO RUN EMULATORS AND HOMEBREW.... wtf is so hard to understand about that?
What so hard to understand in my post either : you're behaving like a freaking kid. Even my 12years boy have more respect for other persons than you show here.

You know what ? sell your caanoo. You dont get the point of this scene.
check here : http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/forum/20-marketplace/

Well thank you for the support I did get from the other people, I will try a few things before I make up my mind. Regrettably this guy had to resort to name calling and deviates from the topic completely, so I guess that makes me the child here? Oh and btw, I hope your "12years boy" can spell and punctuate better than you can, because you are borderline illiterate. I'm glad you didn't have any answers for me because honestly it wouldn't have been worth the effort to read it. I suppose you have some kind of personal relationship with your CAANOO and I must have offended it when I said it can't do things my modded PSP can.

So you can go back to your little forum trolling hoping to find people to start wars with, I am going to go find the solutions else where. Apparently I will have better luck doing google searches than coming to a community site like this. If these are the types of members that are a part of this community then I want nothing to do with it. You were completely un-helpful and rude and personally if I were a GM I would give you a strong warning. You not only pushed out a member of this forum but also a supporter of the system. You sir are a shining example of why internet forums need to be regulated.

You could have just not responded, you could have just gone to a different thread. But instead you decided to start calling people names and being a sarcastic asshole. And if you think I am going to sell my Caanoo on this site, you have another thing coming. I am not supporting this site at all because of the way you behaved today. As a matter of fact I am going to tell everyone I come across to not purchase GPH systems and to avoid this site for relative information. Because, as it was presented today, this is not a place you can get help. This is a place that makes you feel stupid for asking a question. So peace off, I'm done with you kid. Enjoy rubbing your dick against your CAANOO while saying it's the best thing in the world.

blindsyde84 said:
I am not supporting this site at all because of the way you behaved today. As a matter of fact I am going to tell everyone I come across to not purchase GPH systems and to avoid this site for relative information. Because, as it was presented today, this is not a place you can get help. This is a place that makes you feel stupid for asking a question. So peace off, I'm done with you kid. Enjoy rubbing your dick against your CAANOO while saying it's the best thing in the world.
This thread should be locked (and the guy banned). :(

Back