[solved] bluetooth tethering?

Nickie

Still Fresh
heyy, newbie question perhaps, but i just got my pandora (yay! ) and i'm trying a few things,

one thing i really wanna do is 3G tethering overbluetooth, just like i do with my EEEpc with nokia PCsuite, but on linux, i'm just clueless about it , and when it comes to the angstrom distro, i'm even more clueless :p

any howto anywhere?

thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
enable bluetooth through system->enable bluetooth

click on teh network manager icon on the taskbar, and there should be an option for 'setup new device' or something like that :p

then it's just pairing with the phone, and telling the phone to share the network over bluetooth (varies widely by phone)

then it's just pairing with the phone, and telling the phone to share the network over bluetooth (varies widely by phone)

well my phone is already paired, and my phone successfully does tethering with my EEEPC so i guess the config is ok on it's side

according to the wiki, i gotta opkg some stuff, is it reallt necessary or is the pandora able to tether directly "out the box"?

thx

i'm not trying to plug it by USB, i want bluetooth ;)

also, PPP is already installed according to opkg -list , along with PPP-dial, is it useful?

(i'm quite far from being a linux expert ;) )

oh thanks, i didn't know that one

i'll try it, with the other ones nearby...

if i succeed i'll make my own pandora special tutorial i guess:)

mkay, everything looks smooth till that pppd call airtel command, wich replies:

pppd: In file etc/ppp/peers/airtel: unrecognized option '/dev/rfcomm0'

The wiki article is for bluetooth-DUN. I'm pretty sure what you want is sharing over bluetooth PAN.

It works like a charm for me and I connect using PAN mode, no terminal work or anything. All I do it when adding a phone bluetooth device, there is an option checkbox that says access internet through phone. Then once it's synced a network connection shows in the network manager and I connect to it.. just like that I have internet..

Now keep in mind some internet providers want you to pay extra money to enable your phone to share it's internet.. but I know there are at least apps for Android and Windows Mobile that can bypass the service providers lockout of it.

Yeah, theoretically, it should "just work" (See ED's video:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/TwxROhIV6-4?feature=oembed).

Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case so far with my n900. On that note, if anybody knows how to make that work don't hesitate to respond: Not trying to hijack this thread, but I'm at 35 views and it's about to bump of the first page with no replies. Apparently, bluetooth networking isn't the sexy, crowd attracting topic I had hoped.

It works like a charm for me and I connect using PAN mode, no terminal work or anything. All I do it when adding a phone bluetooth device, there is an option checkbox that says access internet through phone. Then once it's synced a network connection shows in the network manager and I connect to it.. just like that I have internet..

well that would be extremely nice to have such option actually, and i do see it in ED's video, but definitely not when i setup my phone (i tried readding it again to make sure: no such option, it's a bit of a relief because i'd have been quite dumb to make such a thread for just having not seen that super-obvious option :D )

i get "successfully set-up", and that's all

i don't know if it's because of the phone itself of because of the software ... i'm on hotfix4

also , what's the difference between DUN and PAN ?

anyway i was pretty much sure that the terminal tutorial was overcomplicated, as i never had to input any of my provider's details on my eeepc when connecting thru bluetooth....

(ps: my phone isn't limited by anything and i do have an unlimited internet plan and stuff, no problem with my provider :) )

well that would be extremely nice to have such option actually, and i do see it in ED's video, but definitely not when i setup my phone (i tried readding it again to make sure: no such option, it's a bit of a relief because i'd have been quite dumb to make such a thread for just having not seen that super-obvious option :D )

i get "successfully set-up", and that's all

i don't know if it's because of the phone itself of because of the software ... i'm on hotfix4

also , what's the difference between DUN and PAN ?

anyway i was pretty much sure that the terminal tutorial was overcomplicated, as i never had to input any of my provider's details on my eeepc when connecting thru bluetooth....

(ps: my phone isn't limited by anything and i do have an unlimited internet plan and stuff, no problem with my provider :) )

I may be a bit fuzzy on the details, so anyone one who knows better can feel free to jump in and correct me.

Bluetooth DUN (Dial up networking) creates a virtual modem through the bluetooth connection to your paired device, then dials your provider directly for an internet connection. This is why you need provider specific information, such as the correct number to dial, the correct initialization string, and possibly a username and/or password. If you want to get this working, you need to get on Google and look up the DUN settings for your provider.

Bluetooth PAN, basically turns you phone into an access point (wireless router) only it uses bluetooth instead of wifi. This allows it to share whatever internet connection it has without getting the provider involved.

At first, when pairing with my N900, I didn't get that check mark either. Then, I followed some tutorial to get Bluetooth PAN working with the N900 and a PC. I didn't get it to work, but I did at least get that check mark to appear, although I'm not sure what specifically, I did to make it show up.

As far as I know, there are at least three different modes of Bluetooth PAN: PANU, GN or NAP. I'm not sure what the difference is, or if "modes" is even the proper term here. It seems like the Pandora uses PANU, though. If tethering "just worked" with you netbook, I would guess* its just not in the right "mode" for the Pandora, so it's not recognizing it as a device it can share internet with, so that's why you're not getting a check mark. So, again, you'll likely have to muck around Google to finding the proper settings for you phone to to get to work in PANU "mode".

*Extra emphasis on this word

At first, when pairing with my N900, I didn't get that check mark either. Then, I followed some tutorial to get Bluetooth PAN working with the N900 and a PC. I didn't get it to work, but I did at least get that check mark to appear, although I'm not sure what specifically, I did to make it show up.

mind sharing the link? :)

5. sudo mousepad /etc/bluetooth/network.conf

find PANU interface, uncomment the line (exclude #) and change it as below

Code:
# Network interface name for PANU for connections. default:bnep%d

# (up to 16 characters)

Interface=ppp0
aha, maybe a part of my problem is there, i don't have any PANU thing here,

all i have is

Code:
#configuration file for the network service

[general]

#disable link encryption: default=false

#disablesecurity=true

and that's all, that is my whole file, how much is missing?

[edit: filled with stuff from there:

http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/346552-personal-area-networking-with-bluetooth ]

also i tried without this file, the phone asked me for a code wich i didn't have :p

(and then i've been told that the system lacks support for ppp, but it could be because of that empty file up there...)

emcee: i don't see what is so N900 specific there, as lots seems to simply be aout activating PANU;

you just ran this script and the connect option appeared in the manager?

i'm giving a try but i can't seem to actually launch that script...

user and pass already removed,

commands output are ok for everything, my only issue now actually is that bluetooth auth code that my phone asks me ...

if i connect the phone first with the device manager , then i get errors as the device is already in use...

do you want those errors output?

or is there a way to find the pin code the phone asks me?

obrigado :)

De nada :)

yes, let's see what it says (especially sudo pppd call output)

after pairing your phone, did you set it to accept connections automatically?
yes the phone has the pandora set to always allowed

about the pppd call, no output, it's simply the moment where the phone asks for the number,

after i cancel on the phone, the pandora just logically says "Connect script failed"

edit: tried inputting a bogus number on the phone, then a windows pops up on the pandora asking me "action" or "pin code" , but if i enter the same bogus number, "connect script failed" anyway....

Back