[SOLVED] How do I install "cron" / change the wallpaper automatically?

Emnasut

I tried to install cron on the Pandora by "sudo opkg install cron" but all I get is this error:

* opkg_install cmd: Cannot install package cron.

I wanted to use cron to change the desktop background every x minutes like described here: XFCE Baclground Wallpaper Changer

Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
cron isn't included in the image already?

if it's not don't forget you need this:

sudo opkg update

sudo opkg list | grep -i cron (lists all packages contatining the string "cron", non case sensitive

package might jsut be called something odd :p

Heh now it's working, I forgot about updating first. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the quick help! Strange though that it isn't included in the image, I thought cronjob were something every distro uses. :)

Hm now I've got cron running (shows up in ps aux) and I've got this entry in crontab -l:

*/5 * * * * xfdesktop --reload

But the wallpaper still doesn't change. If I just do "xfdesktop --reload" in a terminal it works fine. Help anyone? :unsure:

How do I do that? Does a cronjob execute commands differently than if I just enter them in a terminal?

Add -display 0:0

cron runs as a child from a process that's not running under Xorg, that's why it can't access it without telling the program where to look.

Interesting thing about the child process not running under Xorg, never would have guessed that. I added --display 0:0 and used the full path /usr/bin/xfdesktop and now it changes the background. :)

Thanks for all the help guys! Sony, you may lock the thread if you want to. ^^

^ I just did. :)

Wallpaper Cronjob Wiki

The first time I created a Wiki entry so I don't know if it's any good. Propably riddled with spelling errors too as I'm not a native speaker... B)

Thanks, I fixed it. Strange, they were on spearate lines while editing...

Back