[SOLVED] New Pandora, Problem Logging In

kennyk

Still Fresh
Hi I just got my pandora, and when I log on, it gives me this message:
Could not look up internet address for Kenny's Pandora. This will prevent xfce from operating correctly. It may be possible to correct the problem by adding Kenny's Pandora to the file /usr/hosta on your system.

I am very new to linux, but I found the file, and it did have my pandora's name in it. Could my problem be the apostrophe in it causing trouble? As of right now, its verry buggy, and no pnds will launch except stock ones. Can anyone please help me? I just want to get started with my pandora. I tried getting the hotfix, but it wont launch.

Thanks for any help,
ken

To my knowledge, you need to reflash, as the error you mention used to crop up early on with bad flashes. The instructions for this are here. The bugginess you mention also suggests that this may be the problem, and I would guess that it's actually unrelated to the name you chose for your unit.

As an aside, yes, as you're told during first boot, you shouldn't use an apostrophe or a space in the name you give your system, so make sure you stick to letters and hyphens only once the reflash completes (I can't remember off-hand whether numbers are also allowed). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Host names with spaces and apostrophes will just plain break *everything*. You should re-install and set up your host name with - and _ chars, if you need to, or just give it a very simple name..

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to try this tonight. Then I can play some Mario RPG.
Thanks again

torpor said:
Host names with spaces and apostrophes will just plain break *everything*. You should re-install and set up your host name with - and _ chars, if you need to, or just give it a very simple name..
If this is a Problem for the system, why it allows it such Names at first? Logicaly it should notice the User, if he is choosing a wrong character. User-friendly 'n stuff. ;)
I really wanted to name My Pandora "Fusis Pandora". :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reflashing as suggested above did stop the error and it boots fine, but I still cant execute any pnds that i downloaded from the file archive to my sd card. I've tried it on three different cards, and in both slots. All I can do is open the sd and view files; nothing is added to the desktop, and nothing will execute. I even tried it in minimenu. I used Panasonic's sd formatter to format. Does it need to be in some sort of linux file system?

Thanks again for any help

^ If I may hazard a guess: You're just dropping them in the root of the SD Card, right?

You need to make a directory called pandora and inside that, a directory called menu (placing PNDs here will make them appear in the menu), one called desktop (placing PNDs here will make them appear on the desktop), one called apps (placing PNDs here will make them appear both in the menu and on the desktop), and one called appdata (various bits of save-data will be put here by apps, and some will require you to put files here sometimes, although this is not always the case - check the documentation for your apps to find out whether this is needed or not).

This should be documented on the wiki if memory serves, and it has come up many times in this section of the forum, too. ;)

Anyway, I hope this gets you up and running!

Thank you! Youre right, I was just droping them in.
Thanks again, I guess I should read a startup tutorial to learn the basics. :)

No problem! Enjoy your Pandora. :D

If it's of any help, the Unofficial User Manual is located here. There's also some other great stuff, such as the various software lists (they're all linked to in the aforementioned manual), which are to my knowledge the most up-to-date resource about what's been released and when.

Back