Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Transparent would be cool, but nobody knows how long it will look cool: I carry my Pandora in my Pockets and its dosnt look that good anymore, and scratches and wear on a Transparent Case would be look much worse,
also there is this issue of light leaking..

In the End. it dosnt matter much for me which collor my Pyra will have, as long i get a Pyra in my Livetime..

I don't know about plastics, or how they look after some use, but I don't find the issues so severe. I must respect people trying to perfect their work, and salesman trying to have nice products to sell, but if it was me, I wouldn't spend more time perfecting it.
It's only aesthetics, and then under the right light and so. My gut feeling is I can't afford things to be so nice. I prefer them to work. I also don't know whether some of the options makes the case stronger or more resistant.

I prefer my unit to look ugly so it is less likely to be considered valuable and stolen. So feel free to use that black case for me if it saves time or money or whatever (but there must be lots of people before me).

In fact the one with more stone-like appearance for me could already be considered final. I can't see what not to like there. Maybe better in black than that grey, but that grey looks very good too.
It's possibly only the look, but it looks as it the stone-like grey can be easier to grab too, hard to tell without touching it.

On the semitransparent black, it's ok with me, but I'd need to see how a full Pyra looks with all its lights shinning with or without ambient light. I might not like it. And the ocean blue I don't like much, but if people like then whatever.

Thanks again for your efforts and good luck.

I wonder if the marks in the plastic are less visible with light colored plastic... Maybe it's told in the video but I had to see it without audio.
:)

Like a retro-cream colour? ;) I think that has been mentioned before as helping. In the video only transparent or stone-effect cases were mentioned.

To be honest, they all look fine. If there are a few imperfections to begin with then I'll feel more inclined to use my Pyra without feeling I need a protective case or handle it with gloves on.

With all the parts assembled and lights on, I even doubt that anyone would notice them anyway, unless specifically looking for them.

Incidentally, do I take it that this focus on perfecting the case moulding process means that the shoulder buttons (replete with springs?) are now working perfectly?

Not really a fan of the glitter case. Might be the lighting though in addition to the base gray used there being too bright for my taste either way, though.
Good paint could work fine in the end. I suppose you just need someone who knows what they're doing on that end, so button tolerances vs. paint thickness is actual kept in mind.

I also had a dumb thought of injecting a mostly closed case shape and then punching out the button parts evenly. But I doubt that's practical in way..

Stone effect + black|charcoal grey = basalt? That may be nice. I suppose the new Pyra will look "used".
basalt3.jpg

Transparent would be cool, but nobody knows how long it will look cool: I carry my Pandora in my Pockets and its dosnt look that good anymore, and scratches and wear on a Transparent Case would be look much worse,
also there is this issue of light leaking..
Yes, the issue of light leaking is the main reason we can't have transparent keyboard sections; the LEDs between the keys designed to emit a warm glow to each of the keys would instead beam straight out at you and overwhelm any light coming through the keys; bright but non-backlit keyboard all of a sudden.

I can imagine carefully crafted tinfoil inserted between the white paint and the back of the button holes might be an acceptable solution. I'd have to check what traces are around there though; you really don't want a short through tinfoil if you can avoid it.

Edit: Actually, thinking it through hopefully a little clearer, you wouldn't see the LEDs and they wouldn't be beaming out at you in spite of the clear case, because they keymat will be in the way. I guess light leaking from the edges is still a problem though.

Last edited:
I can imagine carefully crafted tinfoil inserted between the white paint and the back of the button holes might be an acceptable solution. I'd have to check what traces are around there though; you really don't want a short through tinfoil if you can avoid it.
Not a bad idea, but something non-conductive would be better there. Something thin, optically reflective or white on one side yet opaque and non-conductive. Hmm... Tyvek?

I still like the completely transparent case best. The older among us remember гла́сность.

The stone pyra looks fantastic! But wish you could tone down the glitter just a little bit. I'm getting really excited for the Pyra seeing that case. Hoping it will come out this year |-)

If the lines are only aesthetic, I think adding fibres so that there is more going on would "solve" the problem.

Edit: Liking the marbled look. Good hack.

Edit2: How about rounding the edges for the screen cable.

) cable ( instead of | cable |

as it bends, it would catch on the 90 degree edge of the slit, ever so slightly, but friction can be reduced?

Last edited:
Back