Some personal stuff - and prototypes building!

Am I right in saying the camerawork or video quality hasn't gotten better in 7 years?
Getting more technical, though I could be fooled by the sleek technique of throwing fish into a storage container. We need more videos on both.

Also, how much to CNC-mill a case with way less precision than that?

i am sorry my friend. I dint really understand your question .

this tools are Hand Made from carbide funds
Amazing that you're able to grind the material to a diameter this small.
It looks like something between ø0,1 to ø0,5mm.
And the diamater to lengh ratio is extreme.
I wouldn't be able to do that on my tool grinder.

The bearings of my mill isn't nearly good enough to have a small enough run out to use this kind of tools.
And the tool holder alone must have cost a little fortune.
(I had a 0,3mm carbide drill with internal cooling in my hands and I'm always afraid of breaking them by only looking hard enough at them. And they were all CNC ground.)

@azouls : Thanks for the Update on the Moulds, so this means our first Mass Produktion Pyra Shoulderbuttons will also get these Springs ??
Because my own Pandora Story begun whit a stuck right Shoulderbutton and instead of send it in our fix it myself, i first mapped this Button on a diverent button, then some months later, i found a Screwdriver thats fits and opend my Pandora, this was also the first time in my live that i opened up such a Handheld Device..

I ditnt have lots of Elektronik Hardware Modding experience, i remember that i once changed the Graphics Card and the Case Fan on my old PC, and i played lot of LEGO when i was a Child..

So a Spring instead of a Foampad sounds much better for me..

@azouls : Thanks for the Update on the Moulds, so this means our first Mass Produktion Pyra Shoulderbuttons will also get these Springs ??
Because my own Pandora Story begun whit a stuck right Shoulderbutton and instead of send it in our fix it myself, i first mapped this Button on a diverent button, then some months later, i found a Screwdriver thats fits and opend my Pandora, this was also the first time in my live that i opened up such a Handheld Device..

I ditnt have lots of Elektronik Hardware Modding experience, i remember that i once changed the Graphics Card and the Case Fan on my old PC, and i played lot of LEGO when i was a Child..

So a Spring instead of a Foampad sounds much better for me..

I am not the correct person to answer this But Since the case dint change (expect PCB placement ) and only the buttons from it had been change i dont thing there will be a problem to do it your self. We manage to make it easy from production.I will send couple of Buttons and 2000 Springs to ED with the Samples.
[doublepost=1561546740,1561546167][/doublepost]
Amazing that you're able to grind the material to a diameter this small.
It looks like something between ø0,1 to ø0,5mm.
And the diamater to lengh ratio is extreme.
I wouldn't be able to do that on my tool grinder.

The bearings of my mill isn't nearly good enough to have a small enough run out to use this kind of tools.
And the tool holder alone must have cost a little fortune.
(I had a 0,3mm carbide drill with internal cooling in my hands and I'm always afraid of breaking them by only looking hard enough at them. And they were all CNC ground.)

well my friend, All the good tools and machines are very expensive.This carbine fund is a hand made one and if you dont use the correct speed and movement then it will brake.It is very important to know very Well what is the Steel made of before using the Carbine fund.There are deferend kind of Steels out there .We are working with Meusberger and Petrodi for the Molds and they have specifications of what the steel is made off so that way we know what kind of tool to use to cutting them and what is the correct speed and movement.Also there is 30 years of experiance on that job that goes from Father to Sons .So all the companies has their secrets :) . No matter what who ever comes here in (Greece ,Thessaloniki) and wants to see how the plastics and molds are made off i will be glad to show them . This is small video from the factory

@azouls this wasnt meant to be a question, i know the answer as i been follewed the Development since the beginning,
The Pyra is meant to be easy acces, unlike other devices, : just a few Screws, some Connectors and maybe some Clips to open, and you could in theorie make everything you want..

The Bottonpart where the Shoulderbuttons are is the easyst Area to open yourself, and i want to stuck by this Part on my Pyra,
You have to Unscrew this Part to swap to a new CPU Board, but some Users will also Put a Diverent Screen on the Lid or something..

So i m happy if i dotnt need to open my Pyra at all, but its a nice Feature that you can open it easely if you want..

But Since the case dint change (expect PCB placement ) and only the buttons from it had been change

Oh you had me scared for a moment there. The case hasn't changed, only the buttons have been modified? Then I realised I'd skipped over your brackets, and you had meant to write 'except PCB placement' there, indicating that actually you have been able to modify the case plastics to include support by grinding away the spaces for the liquid plastic to fill.

I hope you're able to send a couple of examples of these case plastics to ED when you send him the buttons. I'd be very much interested to know if they satisfy him in supporting the PCB properly.

Last edited:
well my friend, All the good tools and machines are very expensive.This carbine fund is a hand made one and if you dont use the correct speed and movement then it will brake.It is very important to know very Well what is the Steel made of before using the Carbine fund.There are deferend kind of Steels out there .We are working with Meusberger and Petrodi for the Molds and they have specifications of what the steel is made off so that way we know what kind of tool to use to cutting them and what is the correct speed and movement.Also there is 30 years of experiance on that job that goes from Father to Sons .So all the companies has their secrets :) . No matter what who ever comes here in (Greece ,Thessaloniki) and wants to see how the plastics and molds are made off i will be glad to show them . This is small video from the factory
I know a little bit about machining and the price of tools.
We are building special purpose vehicles. Most parts get manufactured in our company.
Our milling is more on the rough side.
That's why I know how hard it is to grind such small tools and how hard it is to use them.
But there is a little price difference in good tools which are allowed to have a total run out of 0,05 to 0,1mm and the tool which is needed to clamp a needle-tool shown in the video.

Thank you for the video.

Thanks @azouls, every update is like getting 1UP.
Can you tell about expected strength of Pyra case, as in if Pyra fall from hand. I am not very clumsy but still I have had fair share of cracked screens of mobile phones, so I will need to be extra careful with pyra.

Thanks @azouls, every update is like getting 1UP.
Can you tell about expected strength of Pyra case, as in if Pyra fall from hand. I am not very clumsy but still I have had fair share of cracked screens of mobile phones, so I will need to be extra careful with pyra.

Screens on mobile phones seem to crack these days if you just look too hard onto them :D
Seriously, the screen on my MotoZ broke three times within 1,5 years. One time it fell on the floor from a whooping height of 10cm!

Back