Someone's Dissing The Gp2x!!!!

TheMinder posted on Jul 6 2006 at 07:45 AM said:
Takes a fresh cucumber to bed every night. Why? I don't know.

You reckon he is using it as an alternative stick for his GP2X or am i being naive ?
Yes, but he is using it to play GP LadyKiller, Eeewww.
sand_man posted on Jul 6 2006 at 10:23 AM said:
Why'd you have to go and edit the original post? Now this thread makes no sense.
Seconded, and did no-one copy his entire post for posterity? Oh well, I guess I am free to leave as I can make no sense of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
gamefan999 posted on Jul 6 2006 at 03:42 PM said:
Yes, this is a really weird topic. Frankly I thought the whole thing was some elaborate joke, complete with fake websites, etc. But it is in fact, real. And regarding the GP review, which is also real, I think you will find the essence of his negative review in two parts.

First, read this concluding quote fro the review:
"I want a return to the olden days, when you could make a hit video game for a cheap, popular machine in your bedroom."

Now, look at his collection of - what? You guessesd it, *Homebew Games You Could Make In Your Bedroom!*
http://secure.dnsuk.co.uk/~trlmscom/games.php

Hmmm... coincidence?! I think not. "Frustrated game programmer + Collection of poor, unsalable homemade games = Bad review of potential platform for said poor games"

Mystery solved. Or, as Dan the Crimebustin' Frog would say, "I'll just continue as always."
http://www.thebooboo.com/dtftrlcomic/comics10.php

Pretty weird shit, this.

Hey, they're not THAT bad. The new version of Level Shmup is going to address many of the flaws of the original also.

sand_man posted on Jul 6 2006 at 06:23 PM said:
Why'd you have to go and edit the original post? Now this thread makes no sense.

Yes, true. Frankly, I thought the original post was needlessly antagonising so I deleted it after the coffee wore off. However, to clarify everything, I was referring to a GP2X-scene-dissing article my boss Tim wrote on his website, which you will find in my sig.

Still, nothing can detract from the fact that Tim is an EVIL MAN.

Magnulus posted on Jul 6 2006 at 07:32 PM said:
thebooboo posted on Jul 6 2006 at 08:22 PM said:
Still, nothing can detract from the fact that Tim is an EVIL MAN.

You mean, apart from the fact that you're constantly advertising for his site?
I think you ARE Tim.
Schizo!

Girls like evil men ??? :blink: , guess that it's time to show my bad side and conquer the world !!! :lol: ... But it's a good publicity stunt, just a bit weak in it's execution B)

X-Code posted on Jul 6 2006 at 02:36 PM said:
Girls like evil men ??? :blink: , guess that it's time to show my bad side and conquer the world !!! :lol: ... But it's a good publicity stunt, just a bit weak in it's execution B)
Not the girls I know.

thebooboo posted on Jul 6 2006 at 02:22 PM said:
Hey, they're not THAT bad. The new version of Level Shmup is going to address many of the flaws of the original also.
I think I found my new sig.

I thought to myself, it won't matter if the build quality is shocking, because next time I go online, I'll find a load of groovy free games for it.

Well, this wasn't what happened. I found one decent free game for it (a port of PC indie hit Noiz2sa), and a lot of unfinished games and tech demos.
I agree that Noiz2sa is an awesome game, but must you slur all other homebrew efforts? Remember, no one has an obligation to give you free games - especially free games.

As far as I'm concerned using emulators on the GP2X is totally hypocritical. The actual act of making an emulator in itself is strictly legal, or at least a grey area, but the question is, where are you going to get the games?
Again, way to slur programmers' efforts. By the way, emulation is 100% legal, don't even try to argue about it. The games you get from your own cartridges of course.

Even if GP2X owners running their Megadrive emulators actually own Megadrives and original copies of the games, they are unlikely to own the equipment to copy the data.

So, if I own Sonic the Hedgehog on Megadrive cartridge, it's ok for me to download the copied image from the internet. This argument in itself is clearly highly contentious, but for now, we'll let it be.
As long as you own the cartridge, why not download the respective ROM? It's like asking a friend to run and errand for you. There's nothing gray about this either, for as long as you own the cartridge.

By now you're probably thinking that I'm Mr. Anti-Piracy. Well, I'm not. I actually think that a little bit of piracy is good for the industry.
Well that rendered your whole anti-emulation/piracy article void to me.

The only thing that could really promote Game Park Holdings' ethos in the way they have released the GP2X is a thriving independent development scene. However, many “original” games released on that scene actually use stolen IP from other titles anyway, by using sprite images, characters or sounds copied without consent from the copyright owner.
Very few homebrew games use ripped sprites. You should open your eyes before making such blanket statements, that's all I'm gonna say.

“Why am I so bothered?” I hear you ask. I'm bothered because I desperately want this machine to work. I want a return to the olden days, when you could make a hit video game for a cheap, popular machine in your bedroom. I want the console games scene to be set free from the grip of profit-driven corporations who often won't publish interesting ideas that aren't proven sellers. So far, however, it looks like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's methods will be proved to be the only ones that work.
Please, do show me the programmers and their software that spread Sony's and Microsoft's ideals. Show me the mass of stereotipical commercial software that angers you so. You say you want this machine to work? Then stop bitching about how unoriginal everyone's work is, and how far away from your ideals the whole scene is. More homebrew titles are coming, make no doubt about it, but they won't come any faster just because you started your tirade.

And by the way, as I see it, GPH released the GP2X as an open playground to developers and enthusiants alike. Nobody made any contracts over what kind of software is going to appear on it - for that, head over to the Sony corporation. There is nothing wrong with emulating older systems - classic games are a great source of inspiration for original homebrew, whether you like it or not. Who are you to say what should and should not be enjoyed?

- Alex

gamefan999 posted on Jul 6 2006 at 07:55 PM said:
thebooboo posted on Jul 6 2006 at 02:22 PM said:
I think I found my new sig.

Hang on, why is this funny? Wait, I get it, you're saying it's an ironic statement because the original version of Level Shmup is perfect and doesn't have any flaws. Well, I have to agree. In a dream I had once, Edge magazine described it as "The Pinnacle of Gameliness". Smashing, just smashing.

As a robuttle to one of the above mentioned statements I have to mention that if you have a sega genesis with a sega cd system and a little bit of soldering knowledge and some proper connectors you can EASILY backup your own cart, there is software and diagrams available on the internet for this! People always seem to be uneducated as to how easily backups of carts can be made but seriously I can't see any problem at all with downloading movies/games/music/ect. that you already own instead of copying them yourself... that's why there is such an addiction to the internet, ease of this kind of stuff, why waste an afternoon soldering, copying, ect. when you can spend 2 seconds downloading EXACTLY THE SAME binary information?

Hooka posted on Jul 7 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
As a robuttle to one of the above mentioned statements I have to mention that if you have a sega genesis with a sega cd system and a little bit of soldering knowledge and some proper connectors you can EASILY backup your own cart, there is software and diagrams available on the internet for this! People always seem to be uneducated as to how easily backups of carts can be made but seriously I can't see any problem at all with downloading movies/games/music/ect. that you already own instead of copying them yourself... that's why there is such an addiction to the internet, ease of this kind of stuff, why waste an afternoon soldering, copying, ect. when you can spend 2 seconds downloading EXACTLY THE SAME binary information?
The point is: HOW MANY people who download roms for emulators own the original games? Especially in the case of more obscure systems such as PC Engine, Neo Geo and Arcade machines? MAME GP2X has over 15,000 downloads, to be fair some of them are repeat downloads so let's say 5,000. So therefore are there 5,000 GP2X owners, each with a house full of original arcade machines legally downloading them to play?

Tim's question, not mine.

thebooboo posted on Jul 6 2006 at 04:47 PM said:
Hooka posted on Jul 7 2006 at 12:30 AM said:
The point is: HOW MANY people who download roms for emulators own the original games? Especially in the case of more obscure systems such as PC Engine, Neo Geo and Arcade machines? MAME GP2X has over 15,000 downloads, to be fair some of them are repeat downloads so let's say 5,000. So therefore are there 5,000 GP2X owners, each with a house full of original arcade machines legally downloading them to play?

Tim's question, not mine.

Yes, I will never again use the PSX emulator until it is running an actual CD Drive over USB, then all my games will be full copies.

The real trouble is that it is abandoned intellectual property, they should be selling this stuff if they want to keep tabs on their IP, not crappy collections on crappy emus on crappy systems either.

Alex. posted on Jul 6 2006 at 01:51 PM said:
As far as I'm concerned using emulators on the GP2X is totally hypocritical. The actual act of making an emulator in itself is strictly legal, or at least a grey area, but the question is, where are you going to get the games?
Again, way to slur programmers' efforts. By the way, emulation is 100% legal, don't even try to argue about it. The games you get from your own cartridges of course.
- Alex

Umm, I don't see how that slur programers' efforts. Also, didnt nintendo patent emulators that emulate their systems thereby making all non official nintendo emulators illegal?

This thread makes my head hurt. After reading through it twice, I can finally see what the hell it was even talking about .. honestly. This Tim fellow can say whatever he wants .. it's his right. If some major media entity was threatening the sales of the '2x via false information this might make sense to bring up but this is just some random person's web site. I can't see a logical reason to bring this to the forum; much less the General Gp2X section rather than say, LOL Files or wherever you'd best discuss miscellaneous things ...

Those things aside this Tim guy is a bit of a moron if he expects lot of commercial quality games 7 months or so after release of the unit. Sure, it's going to have a DS or PSP-sized library already of finished games or it's 'a failure'? What an idiot. I also don't see how emulators inhibit on anything I develop; if anything they increase the audience, as people who bought the '2x to play emulated classics will be inclined to take a look since they have the Gp2X ANYWAY .. an advantage I'd not have were it not for emulators' widespread appeal.

thebooboo posted on Jul 6 2006 at 09:36 PM said:
I think that Tim's point was that the widespread use of stolen IP on the GP2X undermines the efforts of legitimate homebrew developers.

Not that I agree with him. He's a total flat tire!

They are right you ARE Tim. Otherwise do you think it would be wise to flogg somone that you referred to as your "boss" on an internet forum? Wouldn't that get you fired real quick like ;)

Back