SONY PlayStation 4 (PS4)

PS: One of my Diablo2-CDs just cracked without much force just by taking it out of the case,

I'm lucky that it is one of the datadiscs without DRM and I got a backup.
Fortunately Diablo 2 is officially DRM less for quite some time now. Am playing it much more since then, having the CD spin up just yo delay starting by some seconds did always irritate me.

I'm wondering wether it would be possible to put a full linux distro on a PS4 (afaik Sony runs a customized BSD on it), could be a good middle class "steam equivalent" client.

Last edited by a moderator:
Long ago, one of my Neverwinter Nights CD exploded in the cd drive of a friend, we had to open it to completely remove the disc parts.
Was it a drive from LG?
I can't remember, it was like 7 or 10 years ago…
I'm wondering wether it would be possible to put a full linux distro on a PS4 (afaik Sony runs a customized BSD on it), could be a good middle class "steam equivalent" client.
Knowing Sony even if they allowed that at a moment (and even use it as a selling point), they would remove it later.

Knowing Sony even if they allowed that at a moment (and even use it as a selling point), they would remove it later.
I had no official support in mind, just a plain "erase everything that ids currently on the system and install a Linux distro" approach

Backwards compatibility apparently coming to PS4 -

PS3 titles to play via streaming, but - and this is very big if true - PS1 & PS2 titles to run natively via emuation, with upscaled & enhanced visuals.
It's about time using emulation for backwards compatibility... I always wondered, why they never did this.

Probably because native hardware compatibility is better than software emulation when it comes to compatibility.

Wii and Wii U games play in 1080p on Dolphin emulator but not on the real system :)

Same with PS1 games and  others...

Anyone remember Sony BETA MAX?

Didn't Microsoft have a HD DVD player that connected to the XBOX 360? That was Microsoft's version of Beta Max I reckon because it failed miserably.

I do not know how successful Blue Ray is now? It appears to be the standard where I am from.

Perhaps large physical consoles will be a thing of the past within 10 years. Maybe everything will be cloud based loaded on to a 4K/3D  PCTV.

Last edited:
HD-DVD has been officially dead for years, Blu-Ray ran an excellent marketing campaign and won that war. Microsoft didn't invent HD-DVD, they just believed that it was the way forward.

It's about time using emulation for backwards compatibility... I always wondered, why they never did this.
Using software emulation for wide-scale backwards compatibility is a nightmare. Especially in these cases where the emulator must have bleeding edge efficiency and probably cut a lot of corners.

It's not just dealing with incompatibilities out of the box, but things like regressions. You make a change that's supposed to improve compatibility or performance and suddenly you inadvertently caused some other game to stop working somewhere. People won't respond well to this. You might think it's better than nothing, many others generally won't, and the media will eat it up. Microsoft and Sony both played with previous gen software emulation in XBox 360 and PS3 respectively, but they both basically abandoned them. Probably for good reason.

The alternative, which has gained a lot of traction with Nintendo and Sony (and others like Sega), is to package individual games or small groups of games with a custom tuned emulator. And only do it for ones that they're confident will sell more than a meager amount.

Does anyone even have a HD DVD player?

I got a few films on that dead duck of a format given to me, just sitting in my desk at work

BTW..I just read that the PS4's Playstation Now service will be streaming it's entire library of PS1,PS2 and PS3 games!!

@FZERO....I sold mine[XBOX 360] a few years ago but I still see many of them on ebay of course.

Last edited:
Ah, I didn't even know that XBOX360 played them ... makes sense of course seeing as it was the technology that MS backed.

I'll give those old films to someone with a 360 then, no good to me, I got rid of my old 360's a couple years ago.

That's interesting about the PS4, have to check the prices on it, but sounds a nice service

Back