Special Port Request: Amsn

The Pidgin developers have been working on audio/video support (and teasing us about it) for an age. Still nothing yet. I'm hoping Empathy improves as currently Pidgin's a bit more feature-filled.

aMSN uses a ridiculous amount of CPU power on nothing. For that reason alone you should probably stay away from it, but apart from that it's horribly buggy. It cashes after a few seconds to a minute with my webcam for no apparent reason. It also likes to crash if you drag a contact wrong or click the wrong button at the wrong time.
aMSN is written in Tcl/Tk, so assuming that runs on ARM, aMSN will work.
emesene is written in python. It will work without any special porting.

Yer .. webcam support on linux totaly sux at the moment ,i have try'd all messenger
services and none work even tho some report to be working.

skype on linux is superb and cam and audio are very nice indeed
and runs extremely well on low performance systems ,but also
theres a yahoo messenger app for linux and apparently it does
work with cam.

theres an old version of amsn that sould work with cam ,but
someone would need to track it down and compile it.

ohh forgot to mention .... i couldn't get thoese apps to
work well with audio either ,really only skype worked for me.

paddy said:
Yer .. webcam support on linux totaly sux at the moment ,i have try'd all messenger

work with cam.

Skype? Will that work on pandora with webcam support? That'l be nice
emesene has cam support and wont be hard to get working on pandora zhasha?

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
paddy said:

work with cam.

Skype? Will that work on pandora with webcam support? That'l be nice
emesene has cam support and wont be hard to get working on pandora zhasha?

Skype is closed-source AFAIK, so unless Skype for the N900's binary is compatible (I don't think it's likely), I doubt we'll have it on pandora.

zhasha said:
aMSN uses a ridiculous amount of CPU power on nothing. For that reason alone you should probably stay away from it, but apart from that it's horribly buggy. It cashes after a few seconds to a minute with my webcam for no apparent reason. It also likes to crash if you drag a contact wrong or click the wrong button at the wrong time.
aMSN is written in Tcl/Tk, so assuming that runs on ARM, aMSN will work.
emesene is written in python. It will work without any special porting.
With cam support?:)
can someone confirm?

Is Skype is supported for Android. If we get a port of Android and have dual boot, it may be an option.

zhasha said:

I used to have aMSN on windows instead of that awful windows live messenger; it is pretty cool, sure, but it's as zhasha said horribly buggy (file transfer, avatar selection etc). For example, it freezes for about 1 minute when opening the avatar selection window. :huh:

paddy said:

work with cam.

Have you tried Empathy? It supposedly supports webcams, but I'm not sure whether it would work on Pandora.

I see no reason why any instant messaging apps shouldn't be able to run on the Pandora, even if the interfaces are unusable without tweaking.

The only reason they wouldn't is if they were x86 dependent somehow (codecs maybe? but there are open source codecs for nearly anything).

It's possible that some of the less well coded ones would need some porting work to compile properly on ARM, but that's usually simple stuff.

(which is not to say I can do it yet, but I'm hoping to learn :) )

I used aMSN on my G3 (600Mhz, followed recently by a 900Mhz model) iMac - unnecessary resource hog (both for processor usage and memory), and buggy.
I did discover, however, that multiple/unlimited nudges can be sent out (wherein any other client that has a "nudge" feature actually has a timeout to prevent this from happening) and can potentially break another persons MSN client in the process (prefect for your nemesis/most hated lists, I suppose).

Back